• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Panthers….. not an attractive destination for top shelf talent?

TheBigKat

We have heard 1000 times that Watson would wave the no trade for us. Even if he didn't, who cares? If he's only waiving it for Miami, then he's trying to force his way to Miami. That team is more of a mess than us so there's no way he could claim its because of the organization. 

Stafford could either come here where we're young but have potential, or go to a super bowl team with the best young head coach, best defensive player, and a GM who will no hesitate to make win now moves. The only thing the rams were missing was a QB who didn't have to be hand held. 

1 hour ago, Catsfan69 said:

Wasn't Reddick a FA?

Kevin Greene was.

I believe Eric Davis was.

What level FA was Michael Barrow?

Keyshawn sucked but he was a big name.

Who am I forgetting that had a name and came?

The only guy you mentioned who is relevant is Reddick. FAs from years and regimes past aren't relevant to the conversation. Reddick's contract reflects the reality that he didn't have much of a market which is surprising given his stats last season but a one year fairly small money contract was his best bet.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

Money can make anything attractive but when you are an expansion team with little history to fall back on in a small market the top tier free agents will probably look the other way if your roster is iffy. Someone like Stafford always wanted L.A. and we should be used to things like that as Hornets fans too.

• Beer 1

15 minutes ago, d-dave said:

How do y'all think that Miami isn't as much of a cluster as we are?  Could be that Watson would rather have the larger city to disappear in with a much more "exciting" nightlife.  He could also be looking at the tax situation and thinking that Miami is a better because he keeps more of his cash.  He could just love the beach, and Miami is closer to that than Charlotte is.

Sure, the complaints about the Panthers are all very valid, but let's also not forget about the non-football aspects of the various locations.

There are a lot of massage parlors in Florida. Bobby Kraft knows of one. 

• The D 1
  • Flames 1

This is kind of short sighted. I mean while I agree we haven’t brought in huge names - we also just haven’t had the cap room to do so and it’s also never really been a strategy (especially not recently) to be active in the first week of free agency.

that said, we have beat out a number of teams on acquiring FAs. Since McCoy and Reddick were already mentioned I’ll add in Robby Anderson who said in his presser yesterday he almost signed with NE and a couple other teams before ultimately deciding on coming here.

Mike Wahle

Ken Lucas

were both pretty major FA acquisitions in their day.

There are others, but point is just because we haven’t been actively pursuing doesn’t necessarily mean we haven’t beat out other teams for coveted guys.

• Beer 1

19 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

This is kind of short sighted. I mean while I agree we haven’t brought in huge names - we also just haven’t had the cap room to do so and it’s also never really been a strategy (especially not recently) to be active in the first week of free agency.

that said, we have beat out a number of teams on acquiring FAs. Since McCoy and Reddick were already mentioned I’ll add in Robby Anderson who said in his presser yesterday he almost signed with NE and a couple other teams before ultimately deciding on coming here.

Mike Wahle

Ken Lucas

There are others, but point is just because we haven’t been actively pursuing doesn’t necessarily mean we haven’t beat out other teams for coveted guys.

I think the biggest part of not being able to attract top talent(which we all really mean QB talent, even though we aren't saying it) is just not being a good team. Like you said, we HAVE been able to attract top guys when we had a team built for success but we don't have that currently.

If we don't implode in the next couple of seasons, I think we are building towards that. If you look at the 2023 free agent QB class, there will be many opportunities to sign big time free agents at QB. But we have to show that we are worthy of being a team that a free agent can come to and thrive.

• Beer 2

2 hours ago, TheBigKat said:

When you read clippings like this

or clippings that Stafford didn’t want to come here

there’s a growing concern has this franchise been marked off agents who represent too talent?

was it due to the way Cam Newton was treated?

due to how this team moved on from Bridgewater in 1 season?

lack of OL talent?

small market/limited marketing opportunities?

If you look at the majority of this franchise FA signings, it’s usually been mid tier guys on a 1-3 year deal, I cannot recall in the history of this franchise a top FA in their prime coming to Carolina.

This leads me to another conclusion, between Stafford/Watson unless this team drafts a Mac Jones / Herbert / Burrow, I don’t think a franchise QB is walking/being traded to the doors on Mint St

Our biggest FA signing, brother of our C who was a clear bust while Whitworth was out there 

BD4C2FF4-8015-45F4-89C5-3167392A8148.jpeg

Tell me again about the personnel philosophy of your favorite coach in NE?

• Flames 1
  • Poo 1

9 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

The top talent FAs want to go where everything is perfectly set up of them or wherever the money is the best. 

I think Charlotte itself seems to be fairly attractive in general for NFL players. It's nowhere near the bottom and more like second tier if tiers-ish

I agree.  There's only 32 teams, when you are chasing rings or money, you go where you can.  Remember Jared Allen hopped onboard during our last superbowl run, and was too washed up. 

Let's say of the 32 teams 1/3 are teams players don't want to go to, that leave about 20-19 other teams.  While we may not be at the top, we certainly are not bottom 1/3.

• Flames 1

30 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

Mike Wahle

Ken Lucas

When we signed Wahle and Lucas we had a very recent SB appearance. Big difference between then and now.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2