• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If you could rewind time…Would you have picked Mac Jones? (Article)

WarPanthers89

28 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Whats the worse that could happen to Wilson? He gets replaced by an unknown  backup who throws for 400 yards with the same crap Wilson has struggled with.

What’s the worst that could happen to us trading for a Jets QB. It was a sarcastic post implying if Mike White keeps crushing it, we trade for Wilson. 

37 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

So what if a year in the system and tailoring a game plan to maximize his strengths might make him better than he has shown up to now? As a backup you get little practice with the ones and the game plan was formulated based on Darnolds strengths not PJ. This week he will get all the reps and the gameplan will be focused on him. Now if he still sucks then you might have a point.

I mean....I think the story of his career had mainly been him sucking. Not that he hasn't had SOME moments, for sure.

I guess the question is, do you really expect to see anything drastically different than we have seen so far? 

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Because outliers are the norm?

I’m not an outlier guy myself but I think  at times we do get hung up on arm strength a bit with QBs.
Or maybe we don’t factor enough variables into the “ceiling” equation.  What about decision making and accuracy? 

To be honest, I wasn’t a Jones guy myself, just makes you wonder.

11 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

I’m not an outlier guy myself but I think  at times we do get hung up on arm strength a bit with QBs.
Or maybe we don’t factor enough variables into the “ceiling” equation.  What about decision making and accuracy? 

To be honest, I wasn’t a Jones guy myself, just makes you wonder.

Yeah, I wasn't a Jones guy but I didn't hang my hat on his arm strength being the one thing. He just struck me as a "Colt McCoy Plus" dude. Everything about him screamed backup QB.

Jones isn't special, but he's very competent.  I said before the draft there isn't a more Belichick QB in the draft than Mac Jones.  I thought he would go there, and he did, and he's doing very well.

We've all seen his physical ceiling.  This is all you'll ever get from Jones physically.  Mac Jones will make or break himself as a "franchise" guy based on his growth from the shoulders up.  If he becomes a great student of the game, he'll likely play 15 years as a starter.

11 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

What’s the worst that could happen to us trading for a Jets QB. It was a sarcastic post implying if Mike White keeps crushing it, we trade for Wilson. 

sorry I took satire for stupidity. Why would we trade for Wilson if you can get a guy like White who plays better and won't break the bank or cost tons of draft picks? If anything this shows that trading multiple first rounders is a mistake and they were wrong for mortgaging their future with Wilson to begin with.

11 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I mean....I think the story of his career had mainly been him sucking. Not that he hasn't had SOME moments, for sure.

I guess the question is, do you really expect to see anything drastically different than we have seen so far? 

His whole career is largely  a 5-0 start in the XFL where he was the star of the league. He hasn't played enough in the NFL to get much of  a read on anything.  His career stats in the NFL are that he has attempted 71 passes total over 2 1/2 seasons which for most starting quarterbacks usually takes 2 or 3 games. So exactly how is that enough to decide he has always sucked??