• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If you could rewind time…Would you have picked Mac Jones? (Article)

WarPanthers89

Simple question….looking back, would you pick Jones at number 8 overall rather than Horn? It’s easier to say Mac now because Horn has been out for us, but remember he looked like an absolute monster before the foot injury and our defense completely changed when he went out. What would you do huddle gm’s?

Article: Matt Rhule and the rest of the Panthers’ coaching staff had a chance to get an up-close and personal look at quarterback Mac Jones during the Senior Bowl in January.

While Rhule came away impressed with the former Alabama passer, the Panthers elected to trade for quarterback Sam Darnold and select cornerback Jaycee Horn at No. 8 overall.

Now Rhule will coach against Jones in Sunday’s matchup between Carolina and New England. He told Patriots reporters on Thursday that Jones handled everything well at the Senior Bowl and it took about 10 minutes to see he could be successful at the highest level.

“To me, no matter where Mac ended up, I knew he was going to be a longtime pro, because he just has all the right qualities and all the right things that are essential to being a great player,” Rhule said, via Zack Cox of NESN. “That was evident to me from the very beginning.”

Rhule noted that he’d spent some time trying to recruit Jones while at Baylor. And when Rhule coached Jones in January, he saw solid traits.

“He’s just got juice,” Rhule said. “Spending time with him, you could tell he loves football. He just won the national championship game and he’s out there practicing with us.

“You could see how intelligent he was the first day. We put a lot of install in, a lot of words in, just to see if they could recite it, and you could see pretty quickly he had a feel for the game. He had some moxie, and he was really, really intelligent and accurate and could throw the deep ball at a high level.”

Jones has piloted the Patriots to a 4-4 record, completing 68 percent of his passes for 1,996 yards with nine touchdowns and six interceptions.

Darnold, who may not play this week with a concussion, has completed 60.8 percent of his passes for 1,814 yards with seven touchdowns and eight interceptions.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/11/04/matt-rhule-i-knew-mac-jones-would-be-a-longtime-pro-no-matter-where-he-ended-up/

A34BD80C-1DC7-4313-8B81-E7D169CB7BDC.jpeg

2C653B20-3C45-4069-91EF-77EFFA355607.jpeg

• Poo 3

No because he would probably be like Horn out for the rest of the year because of our oline. I’m not taking up for Sam because he has been terrible when he has had chances but any qb will struggle behind that. I just shake my head thinking what is going to happen this Sunday with PJ back there.

• Pie 5

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Nope. Still not sold on him.

Agree, he has been good but he would struggle with our line.  I think he was worth the pick where they got him considering the dearth of QB prospects but he just isn’t dynamic as a passer or runner.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

If I could turn back time, If I could find a way.  if I was wanting to do something different that involved Jones I would ultimately want to have traded back several picks to take Jones there (not at 8 ) then have another pick somewhere of it as well.

But it's funny as poo how much energy was put in to belittling him just because he doesn't have the physique of Cam Newton.

Edited by Moo Daeng
  • Pie 3
  • Poo 2

1 minute ago, Moo Daeng said:

If I could turn back time, If I could find a way.  if I was wanting to do something different that involved Jones I would ultimately want to have traded back several picks to take Jones there (not at 8 ) then have another pick somewhere of it as well.

Just the one line from the song? fail black and white GIF

• Beer 1