• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If you could rewind time…Would you have picked Mac Jones? (Article)

WarPanthers89

8 hours ago, AU-panther said:

Of course they can, the only thing is the older you are the greater the chance you are already close to your maximum, but there is chance for growth both from technique and strength/flexibility.

Everyone wanted to make fun of Mac's shirtless picture but in reality that was a plus.  Its clear he has the potential to improve physically, if he was built like Cam and had his current velocity that would be concerning.  Brady is probably a better athlete in his 40s than he was his 20s.  I'm not saying he is going to work out and have a Josh Allen type of arm but its foolish to think he can't improve his velocity some.

QBs are hard to evaluate, everyone likes to talk about ceilings and floors but its hard to quantify the traits that make that up.  People are saying he would get killed behind our line because he can't scramble.  Maybe does a better job of reading pressure and calling protections, maybe he gets the ball out quicker.

Sam has all the tools in the world that you would want for a QB, as far as arm and mobility and size, but would you consider him to have a high ceiling?  If a QB has terrible accuracy or processing is it possible for him to still have a high ceiling?

That's me too. I would have an average arm and great intangibles than a great arm and suspect ability to read and react for whom the game never slows down. 

11 hours ago, panthers55 said:

In college you play football when you aren't going to class or doing others things. In the pros football is your job and all you do. You have time for whatever you need to do. You are getting paid a ton to do nothing else. The equipment and technology they have available to them now is way beyond anything you would have had no matter where you went. No there is no comparison.

I played baseball where everybody has to focus on throwing and I’m speaking from experience. I don’t know why you’re attempting to dismiss what I’m writing so casually. 

• 4 weeks later...

Mac Jones becomes the clear favorite for offensive rookie of the year

Five weeks ago, it appeared that Bengal receiver Ja’Marr Chase would definitely win the NFL’s offensive rookie of the year award. Now, the odds have swung dramatically in someone else’s favor.

With PointsBet, Patriots quarterback Mac Joneshas overtaken Chase. Jones has -215 odds, which means that it takes a bet of $215 to win $100. Chase sits at +175.

Since generating 201 yards against the Ravens in Week Seven, Chase has accounted for a total of 152 yards. He had six touchdowns in his first seven games; he’s had only two in all since then. It’s a byproduct of defenses focusing on taking Chase away, and of quarterback Joe Burrowtaking what the defense is giving him.

Meanwhile, the Patriots have won six in a row, with an offense led by the first-year quarterback.

No one else is even close. Steelers running back Najee Harris has moved to +1800. Next comes Dolpins receiver Jaylen Waddle, at +4000.

Waddle becomes an intriguing option. He had the first 100-yard game of his career on Sunday. If he finishes strong — and if the Dolphins make the playoffs — maybe he’ll get some votes.

For now, though, it looks to be Jones’s award to lose. If the Pats keep winning, he won’t.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/11/29/mac-jones-becomes-the-clear-favorite-for-offensive-rookie-of-the-year/

I would not.

Not many teams in the league have the coaching capacities to make him successful, to say nothing of the personnel. It's just not fair to assume the panthers could get the same out of him when the panthers, just like every other non new england team in the league, are not new england. 

This is made worse because the Panthers have a glaring need at QB and haven't gotten to see Jaycee Horn. Even assuming the QB situation is still ass, if Horn was out there balling out we wouldn't be so upset about it. And just so we're clear, Horn was absolutely passing the eyeball test. 

Edited by electro's horse
  • Pie 2

15 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

I would not.

Not many teams in the league have the coaching capacities to make him successful, to say nothing of the personnel. It's just not fair to assume the panthers could get the same out of him when the panthers, just like every other non new england team in the league, are not new england. 

This is made worse because the Panthers have a glaring need at QB and haven't gotten to see Jaycee Horn. Even assuming the QB situation is still ass, if Horn was out there balling out we wouldn't be so upset about it. And just so we're clear, Horn was absolutely passing the eyeball test. 

No question Horn will be an amazing player for us. I am happy with the pick although looking back we all know the impact a franchise QB has compared to a lockdown corner

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

If I had that kind of power, I'd use it to stop us from hiring Matt Rhule.

Well, if I had that kind of power, I would go back a long time, buy a lottery ticket with the winning number, invest the money is some stocks, then buy the Panthers myself.  I would then use a fifth round pick to get Tom Brady, and do great at drafting, and build one of the most dominant teams ever.  😝