• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Which trade was worse 2nd for Darnold or 3rd for Henderson?

TheBigKat

13 minutes ago, rmoneyg35 said:

Before hating on Henderson just remember how long it took josh Norman to develop, hell even Jackson wasn’t good at first. Some players just take a few years to develop. Henderson isn’t as bad as many 1st round CBs have been. He’s been okay but still has potential.

It’s not whether Henderson can play or not. The kid could be our best corner for the future if he wasn’t a pussy. He’s about to quit football because he’s mentally weak, not because he’s hurt or can’t play. 

2 minutes ago, Mother Grabber said:

Darnold was a high risk, high reward shot. He has the physical ability, so it was a worthwhile risk. Not mad that they gave it a go and are trying to find the future franchise QB. 0-2, let’s see who’s next.

The only reason to be upset is if Darnold is the dude next year. right now is just a matter of living with this one until they can find the next option. with our needs at OL and QB, this is going to be a busy offseason.

This is how I feel about Darnold.  However, failing to bring in a veteran backup is the unforgivable part.  Yes, the upside was "What if he works out?".  What we didn't account for was "Ok, what if he doesn't?"  PJ does not count as a "What if he doesn't" plan.

I also understand the attraction of Henderson.  I liked him coming out.  But man, we really need someone in our pro personnel department with a background in psychology.  Even I can see the guy is done.  I don't know what did him in, but he is clearly not focused on football, regardless of what he may pay lip service to.

Both situations are front office failures.

• Pie 2

Easily the Sam trade.  We gave up multiple picks for the worst QB in the NFL.   

and we overpaid to get him Sam.  Menshew and others proved that.

CJ was drafted in 2020 and didn’t look like hot garbage when he did play last season.  That’s a decent gamble for a 3rd even if he has some mental stuff going on. 

• Pie 4

1 hour ago, Mother Grabber said:

Darnold was a high risk, high reward shot. He has the physical ability, so it was a worthwhile risk. Not mad that they gave it a go and are trying to find the future franchise QB. 0-2, let’s see who’s next.

Both of these moves were for guys that were cheap in relation to their potential. A franchise QB for a 2nd rounder would have been INSANE. A top 10 lockdown corner for a 3rd rounder would have been INSANE.

But "potential" is ultimately just a bunch of fluff, you can either cut it or you can't. And it turns out teams don't give away franchise QBs and stud CBs for nothing. Our FO got seduced into thinking they were the smartest guys in the room and we're looking at the results.

• Pie 2