• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Were there signs??

Mayor Qumiby

Although it a diehard Panthers fan and rarely miss a game I'm not a "football" guy. I know there's alot of you on here who's football knowledge and vision for what you see on the field surpasses my availabilities. My question is was there any warning signs of how bad Sam would play this year during training camp or the preseason? 

Lol yes I know there's plenty of evidence of him being bad wearing a jets uniform but I'm speaking about this year.

I would keep up with the posting from huddlers who went to Spartanburg but sometimes it's hard to tell if it's the offense that's struggling or if it's our defense that's really good.

Edited by Mayor Qumiby
  • Pie 2

I mean, to be objective, there were NO signs that he would be good. He was among the worst QB's in the league the last few years. 

The Panthers brought him in based on assumptions and projections of what he could be - not what the film showed. 

Sam has been what he always has been. 

That said, you have to take shots at QB's. This is just looking like a miss. 

• Pie 5
  • Flames 1

There sure was.  The first sign was Darnold struggled behind a bad OL with the Jets, then we bring him here and did next to nothing to fix our putrid OL.   Not only were there signs, but big, flashing, neon ones, but our staff put on blinders to block out them out because those signs were annoying.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, CanadianCat said:

I mean, to be objective, there were NO signs that he would be good. He was among the worst QB's in the league the last few years. 

The Panthers brought him in based on assumptions and projections of what he could be - not what the film showed. 

/thread

More seriously there were a lot of signs it would not work but as fans you can't blame many of us for wishful thinking.

Outside of Sam's failings in NY the signs were there that it would not go well here.

First signs were the draft. We go in to the draft knowing we have glaring issues on the line. However, instead of using the most of our draft capital to draft a OL we instead go for a CB which is a position much easier to fill in later rounds than tackle. 

We knew Darnold had a sucky time at the Jets because he was pressured a lot and it caused him to see ghosts but instead of putting him in a better position we placed Sam at the same spot he was at NY but with a better defense.

Him not playing in the preseason was already as the second one and the third sign was CMCs health. 

I bet our geniuses thought CMC could carry the load and take the pressure but we overestimated how much load CMC can carry.

• Pie 3

Our evaluations on offense are atrocious all around. Lots of positives on the D but the O is fugged. I wish I knew who contributes what but I can only guess right now.

Sam was always destined to fail, it would have been fine on a prove it deal but these people fugged themselves. Don't spend draft capital o  what you can find dumpster diving in the NFL. Just dumb and completely wasteful.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, PantherPhann89 said:

Serious Q: What's the difference between Sam Darnold and David Carr?

Serious A:  David Carr had a worse OLine.  I know, hard to believe, but that line his rookie year allowed nearly 5 sacks per game on only two thirds of the drop backs that we've given Darnold.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I thought this move could pan out.  I thought he was simply mismanaged.  He simply can't process, and all the skills in the world are pointless if you can't read a defense.  His attention is on the DL more that the WRs.

I'm with you. I thought it was a reasonable gamble when it was made. I got a little uneasy when they took his fifth year. I felt like it was a good move for the first, second and third game.

Then reality hit the ground around here like a 100 lb anvil dropped from a blimp. Bad o-line, bad play calling and Sam's history all collided. And it has been a train wreck ever since. At this point you just grab the two QBs we have on the practice squad and throw them out there. They'll probably get killed, but who knows.

I do know that Darnold isn't savable, but he'll be able to go out with millions of dollars earned and owed to him. PJ Walker got his shot and shat the bed. Those two couldn't get a jersey on another team without buying it from the NFL.com store.

22 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

I think Rhule said he didn’t watch any film on Darnold. Who TF does that?!

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, Mayor Qumiby said:

Although it a diehard Panthers fan and rarely miss a game I'm not a "football" guy. I know there's alot of you on here who's football knowledge and vision for what you see on the field surpasses my availabilities. My question is was there any warning signs of how bad Sam would play this year during training camp or the preseason? 

Lol yes I know there's plenty of evidence of him being bad wearing a jets uniform but I'm speaking about this year.

I would keep up with the posting from huddlers who went to Spartanburg but sometimes it's hard to tell if it's the offense that's struggling or if it's our defense that's really good.

There was VERY little coverage of the team during camp. It was like the panthers media went out of there way to not talk about Darnold. There are threads about it somewhere.

I think they knew two weeks into camp that he had serious issues that couldn’t be corrected.