• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

From the Observer-Five college quarterbacks the Carolina Panthers could draft to help rescue them

ladypanther

9 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Yeah mostly for a qb in the first.  There has to be a team that falls in love with a qb and the price has to be right.  2 things working against us here, we will be picking in late teens at worst IMO and its a bad qb draft

It does happen for non-QB's, as well. 

It is all dependent on scenario. 

14 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Late teens early 20's would be my guess. 

Honestly, if we are picking in late teens, early 20s... that may work in our favor (of a trade back). Because the only qb that is listed to go higher than that is maybe corral? but that's an area in which qb-needy teams could make the call. 

On 11/13/2021 at 2:18 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

This is what I like about Howell. So many questions have been answered. He checks the physical boxes. Would it be nice if he was taller? Sure. But he has the build. He has the arm. No, he doesn't have Elway's arm but his arm is good even at the NFL level. How does he respond when his team is outmatched? Check. How does he respond when his receivers are dropping balls? Check. How does he respond when his OL can't provide even minimal protection? Check. How does he respond when trailing? Check. Trailing big? Check. In crunch time in close games? Check. When the run game is struggling? Check. When he has to carry the entire offense? Check.

Serious question, since you have watched him as much as anyone, what are the negatives with him?  

I know rankings can be all over the place at this point in the year but he is consistently ranked in that 4-5 range of the QBs in this year draft.  I know the team around him this year is terrible and I'm sure his stats aren't as good but most evaluators don't box score scout.  There has to be some attribute that they don't like.

12 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Serious question, since you have watched him as much as anyone, what are the negatives with him?  

I know rankings can be all over the place at this point in the year but he is consistently ranked in that 4-5 range of the QBs in this year draft.  I know the team around him this year is terrible and I'm sure his stats aren't as good but most evaluators don't box score scout.  There has to be some attribute that they don't like.

He definitely has a gun slinger mentality to him. He'll have to reassess the risk/reward assessment both throwing and running in the NFL. He has a damn good arm but some scouts will question wether his arm will allow him to make the throws he makes at the college level in the NFL. He has more a prime Drew Brees type arm than say a prime Cam or Josh Allen type arm. There are also going to be some teams that knock him for his height. Being a 6' tall QB isn't near the knock these days as it used to be but most teams would ideally like a taller QB.

I think he's going to really impress teams in the whiteboard. He's REALLY good at presnap reads. At the same time, NFL teams are going to exploit that early on with disguised looks. He'll have to learn how to read defenses at the NFL level but I'm confident he can based on what I've seen out of him in college.

53 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He definitely has a gun slinger mentality to him. He'll have to reassess the risk/reward assessment both throwing and running in the NFL. He has a damn good arm but some scouts will question wether his arm will allow him to make the throws he makes at the college level in the NFL. He has more a prime Drew Brees type arm than say a prime Cam or Josh Allen type arm. There are also going to be some teams that knock him for his height. Being a 6' tall QB isn't near the knock these days as it used to be but most teams would ideally like a taller QB.

I think he's going to really impress teams in the whiteboard. He's REALLY good at presnap reads. At the same time, NFL teams are going to exploit that early on with disguised looks. He'll have to learn how to read defenses at the NFL level but I'm confident he can based on what I've seen out of him in college.

Thanks.  This QB clearly doesn't seem to be rated as high as past classes but at the same time that might cause some guys to fall in that 10-20 range and actually be available.  

Last years class was "stacked" but history tells us several of them won't work out.  This year's class on paper doesn't look as good but there is a chance some NFL team is going to find their guy.

Even if Cam plays well and we resign him at some point we do have to consider taking a QB early.  

3 hours ago, AU-panther said:

I think his decision making is considered a weakness, but when I see him play he is hiking the ball and rolling away from defenders immediately so I’m sure that’s a huge part of it. Last year he had a 68% completion rate with 30 TDs and 7 INTs, this year he dropped to 63.5% with 22 TDs and 8 INTs so far. 

15 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

I think his decision making is considered a weakness, but when I see him play he is hiking the ball and rolling away from defenders immediately so I’m sure that’s a huge part of it. Last year he had a 68% completion rate with 30 TDs and 7 INTs, this year he dropped to 63.5% with 22 TDs and 8 INTs so far. 

To be that's his biggest weakness his decision making. A lot of his ints this season have been plain out dumb. Like Sam type of dumb. I guess you could say "Like Sam, Like Sam"???? I wouldn't be too thrilled to have him.

Eff this noise:

Liberty redshirt senior QB Malik Willis completed 24-of-46 passes for 305 yards, a touchdown, and an interception in Saturday’s 31-16 loss to Army.

Willis (6'1/215) is one of the top prospects going into the 2022 draft, but he's had a rough couple of games, and that continued this week against a good Army defense. One of the better run defenses in the country, they needed to keep him one-dimensional, and they accomplished it as they held Willis to just 37 rushing yards and a couple of big tackles behind the line of scrimmage. Willis threw a touchdown to Noah Frith early in the third quarter, but Army still held a three-touchdown lead. Willis was finally able to break through on the ground with a garbage time rushing touchdown in the last seconds of the fourth quarter. It's certainly been a rough last stretch for Liberty as they end the season with three straight losses. Willis and the Flames will wait for their fate in the bowl season, and he'll have one more go before he begins his road to the NFL

Nov 27, 2021, 3:53 PM ET