• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB or OL? Hypothetical qestion

AU-panther

There seems to be a lot of blame going around and varying opinions on how to right the ship going forward.

A lot of people think QB is our biggest need, others says fix the O-line first.

QB vs a single O-lineman is an easy question, a good QB adds expontially more wins to a team than any a good any other position, but what if we are talking multiple good players at other positions?

Hypothetical questions, which would be better for the organization long term?

Spend the next three 1st round picks on O-line, be correct on all three and have 3 top-10 players on the O-line

or

Spend the next three 1st round picks on QBs, be correct on 1/3 and have a top 10 QB?

Which scenario is better for the organization for the next 10 years?

I would take the QB, but I'm curious what others think.  I am of the opinion that a great QB with an average line will win more games than an average QB with a great line.

The answer is nuanced.  Who is available?  If I had my pick I’d go line first then go get my guy.  But if you think your QB is there you go get him and then try every thing possible to protect him.

For some reason this franchise believes that the offensive line can be cobbled together from spare parts and dime store rentals.  Dumpster diving for linemen will get a QB merked.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

No need to get another QB hurt under the leagues worst OL. Fix the OL and draft the QB. It's a double prong approach. Next year looks to be a pretty poor class of QBs so unless we know it's a franchise guy get a LT. Improve the inside through FA and draft. It's our biggest weakness. 

• Pie 1

I would take a great QB over a great OL prospect any day. We can game plan for a bad line, there is no fixing bad to horrendous QB play.

I still would have taken Slater over Fields in this last draft, Slater looked great and Fields look good IMO. After LT, the other 4 spots are a lot easier to fill. We just choose to keep ignoring any good prospects for rejects, castoffs and favorites at much easier to find positions like CB and WR only to end up with one playable OL guy that can't even beat Daley out at LT. 

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Fix the OL in free agency and get the your starting QB in the draft (but pick up an old vet to mentor him). That's the ideal, imo. 

This. Even if you can get your line to average with quality FAs, it would be a huge improvement. You pretty much have to draft a QB at some point.

1 minute ago, Waldo said:

I would take a great QB over a great OL prospect any day. We can game plan for a bad line, there is no fixing bad to horrendous QB play.

I still would have taken Slater over Fields in this last draft, Slater looked great and Fields look good IMO. After LT, the other 4 spots are a lot easier to fill. We just choose to keep ignoring any good prospects for rejects, castoffs and favorites at much easier to find positions like CB and WR only to end up with one playable OL guy that can't even beat Daley out at LT. 

I second this. Look at Burrow. His talent meant that Cinci could put weapons around him while knowing they can scheme around the OL that knocked him out of his rookie year.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just imagine our team if the coaches weren’t tryhards winning meaningless games while other teams tanked the final weeks. Some of these players were just one spot away. Given the trade off would be not having Derrick Brown or Jaycee Horn but a franchise QB and OT > DT and CB.

2020- Justin Herbert

2021- Penei Sewell

• Poo 1

4 minutes ago, Riverboat Ron said:

Just imagine our team if the coaches weren’t tryhards winning meaningless games while other teams tanked the final weeks. Some of these players were just one spot away. Given the trade off would be not having Derrick Brown or Jaycee Horn but a franchise QB and OT > DT and CB.

2020- Justin Herbert

2021- Penei Sewell

B87BF263-F885-490A-811A-E7C282F367A1.gif

• Beer 1