• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

QB or OL? Hypothetical qestion

AU-panther

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

For fugs sake you cannot build a line through free agency.  fuging a how many times have we tried this?   

You can’t if you get mediocre players. But if you sign someone like Armstead at tackle and a very good guard it will certainly help. If you prioritize and am willing to spend you can make a lot of progress.

Depends on the caliber of prospect. QB will always be the #1 priority in the modern NFL. It's the most important position on the field.

But if you have an elite OL prospect available and middling QB prospects, you take OL. If you have elite QB and OL prospects available, you take QB. 

Our issue on the OL cannot be fixed solely by free agency. It will be far, far too expensive. It also isn't going to get fixed in one offseason, the needs are far too many. 

Ideally, get a great OL prospect in round one this year(provided no elite QB prospect are available) and that is at least a start. Add another above average OL in free agency and now we have some base to work from. 

Just keep steadily building and investing in the OL(and any othet obvious holes) while you maneuver for an elite QB. Either in free agency, via trade or through the draft. 

But, both situations have to change. You can't have a bottom tier OL and the worst QB in the NFL. That won't work anywhere.

Edited by kungfoodude
Herp Derp
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, PappyMay said:

Is whatever QB is available at 8-10 (where I expect we pick) really going to move the needle? Take best trade down to recoup the 2nd rounder and get a Olineman in first round. Maybe Riddler will fall to the second to develop.  Take best of both worlds.

This is a bad QB draft.

I'd probably trade down in the first round to pick up that 2nd rounder we traded away - unless we're in love with whoever is available at our pick.

We need to bring in competent starting NFL players along our iOL - at least two. That will make a world of difference. Whether that's via FA or the Draft I don't care. 

So what’s the expectation here? We draft an elite C or G and roll with Darnold? So we have Erving, Elf, Elite Rookie, ??, and Moton with Darnold behind center. That’s not going to look much different that what we see right now. It’s going to take some FA talent OL to fill all 4 positions. We have 1 pick in the first 3 rounds. It needs to be some placeholders on the OL and hopefully one premium FA to going along with Moton. The QB position can at least be addressed with one pick. What did teams like LAC, and CIN do when their lines were awful? Draft a QB (you have to have one to compete) and then start addressing the OL. I wish we had drafted Fields, so we would be one year further along in this rebuild…

3 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

This is a bad QB draft.

I'd probably trade down in the first round to pick up that 2nd rounder we traded away - unless we're in love with whoever is available at our pick.

We need to bring in competent starting NFL players along our iOL - at least two. That will make a world of difference. Whether that's via FA or the Draft I don't care. 

Nobody is trading up for a non qb.  It’s pretty rare.  Plus there are enough mid level qbs where teams can just wait.