• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule's contract won't save him

Zod

5 minutes ago, joemac said:

Its painfully obvious to anybody even paying attention a little bit that this team is going NOWHERE until we get a bonafide franchise QB.  Whatever route they take to do that, they need to hurry the fug up.  We're going to end up wasting the primes of all of our standout players because the braintrust of this team cannot figure out how to get a decent QB.  I dont care how they do it, either draft a guy, make a trade, or if one comes on the open market, sign them.  But, we're going to be in purgatory until this happens.  It doesn't matter what the rest of the team looks like.  They tried to game the system by getting Sam, and that was an epic fail.  They got too cute, too much hubris, and it jumped up and bit them right in their asses.  Now, we as fans, are all paying for it, and will continue to pay for it until they figure it out.

Clocks ticking, assholes. 

The arrogance is what pisses me off the most. And picking up the 5th year option before they ever saw him play a down.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, countryboi said:

Rhule biggest mistake is not having any one with NFL head coaching exp on his staff. You dont know what you dont know and you need someone to guide you. 

Totally in agreement.  A fishing trip with an 80-90s coach did not suffice. 

He needed coordinators who understood how this all works from practice to game planning to adjustments at this level of play. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

16 minutes ago, countryboi said:

Rhule biggest mistake is not having any one with NFL head coaching exp on his staff. You dont know what you dont know and you need someone to guide you. 

5 minutes ago, davos said:

Totally in agreement.  A fishing trip with an 80-90s coach did not suffice. 

He needed coordinators who understood how this all works from practice to game planning to adjustments at this level of play. 

EXACTLY.

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, CRA said:

If you make a massive mistake....sticking with it isn't good practice either though. 

Tepper should of never hired Rhule.  That was the mistake.   He didn't have the resume. 

Huge mistake? The only huge mistake was Joe Brady. Only you and a few others blame the second QB he has ruined. The defense is also very legit. 

3 hours ago, Zod said:

It may end up be more expensive to keep Rhule than to fire him. 

A one time payoff vs a long slow bleed in revenue due to losing and lack of excitement.

Tepper the hedge fund manager surely sees this very plainly.

Sam Howell will add revenue and excitement.

If anything happens, Rhule might changes OC, that will buy him some time.

Also drafting a rookie QB will buy you time.  Most owners know rookies take a few seasons.

If Rhule goes off and signs a decent vet, he basically just gives himself one more year.  If he loses with 3 different vets then I can't see Tepper keeping him.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If Rhule isn't fired hell likely go into next season with his seat red hot with a mandate put on him by Tepper to get a QB and fix the offense. Don't bitch and moan about lack of draft capable. Those moves were your call. Fix it.

I wish I could be in that room next off-season when Rhule tells Tepper

“please give me more time Mr. Tepper. After trading away my draft capital I’ll need several more years to get myself out of the mess I put myself in”.

2 hours ago, CRA said:

well, put Rhule aside. Let's say we did happen to fire someone who you agree was clearly a mistake.  What is the quicket you would endorse just admitting that and moving on. 

It depends on how bad it is, really. I think you should try to give a guy at least three years, maybe four, unless it's just an unmitigated disaster. It isn't. Not even close. 

2 hours ago, BIGH2001 said:

Why? He’s not getting the job done. It’s a results league.

Because it requires context. The Panthers had one of the oldest rosters (maybe the oldest) in the league in 2019. They had a ton of player and coach turnover prior to Rhule's first game. He didn't even get a real off-season in 2020. Do I think he could have done a better job putting NFL experience on his staff? Sure. Do I think the Darnold gamble was unnecessary even in the present time and now looks horrendous in hindsight? Yes. Do I think those are fireable offenses when there's a fair amount of roster building still to do here? No. 

It's a results-driven league, but you aren't going to get good results if you turnover your coaches every two years. Good franchises don't do that. Good franchises give their guys a chance to grow and learn. 

One more year. I believe if you go college for HC, the guy typically gets 3 drafts and 3 years to produce a winning season just like Chip Kelley and Jim Harbaugh. Even though they produced winning seasons within that time.

Next year is make or break for Rhule, at most.

Edited by onmyown

3 hours ago, CRA said:

current trajectory IMO would still have to change to get that year 3.  current trajectory is downward.   Which means more bad comes with that. 

NFL players flex and demand more and more as the years go on.  If the current trejectory maintains, you got to think you will start seeing and hearing about guys talking.  Wanting to bounce to greener pastures.  You can't lose the team and get a 3rd year.   These guys have short windows to play this game. 

And incentive laden contracts