• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Per Schefter: Panthers operating as if Darnold will miss the season

ImaginaryKev

Yep, he was benched. 

That 'incomplete scapula fx" injury designation always felt like an injury that would keep him out depending on how poorly the replacement plays. Now that Cam is back, they're done with the reclamation project. 

I see a Brock Osweiler type situation coming, where we trade Darnold and like a 2 for a third or something to get rid of his contract next year. Cutting the losses seems ideal at this point. 

Man. What a difference 6 games make. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 4
  • The D 2

There were some stats that showed based on the number of throws he’s made he’s had the worst stretch of play by any qb in this history of the sport. Like I think he was worse then clausen. This was a disaster of epic proportions based on what we gave up and the 5th year option pick up. 

im worried about their ability to evaluate qbs in the draft.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

Yeah, unlikely they can trade him. I see them either letting him "compete" with Cam next off-season or just cutting him. Tepper is rich as hell and clearly don't mind paying guys not on the team. 

Best to hope for is this realize their errors at QB and O line (bc honestly, the defensive moves have been fire), and adjust accordingly.

If Rhule and Brady (who is is definitely NOT ready to be a HC yet) can squeeze a season plus of productivity out of Cam it'd go along way for the team as a whole and their reputations as offensive coaches. 

Edited by ImaginaryKev

yeah I’d rather just cut Sam. He’s dead weight at this point. I see no point in bringing him back in a backup role. Must be horrible in the film room. 

the ideal scenario is cam plays well enough to be the starter in 2022,2023 and we draft a qb in these next two drafts, to let cam mentor and show how to be a pro and go from there. That’s what we should’ve been doing from the beginning instead of cutting him but whatever.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

yeah I’d rather just cut Sam. He’s dead weight at this point. I see no point in bringing him back in a backup role. Must be horrible in the film room. 

the ideal scenario is cam plays well enough to be the starter in 2022,2023 and we draft a qb in these next two drafts, to let cam mentor and show how to be a pro and go from there. That’s what we should’ve been doing from the beginning instead of cutting him but whatever.

I mean Cam was only gonna cost them 20 mil that year they cut him for Teddy. They should've just kept him and looked for an option in the draft. Fields should he the QB of the future here but luckily good QBs are flooding the league now.

Gonna be interesting to see what they do at the position this off-season bc they could take a guy now or let Cam ride next year and draft a QB then. Maybe that Alabama QB will be eligible by then, who knows. 

4 minutes ago, ImaginaryKev said:

I mean Cam was only gonna cost them 20 mil that year they cut him for Teddy. They should've just kept him and looked for an option in the draft. Fields should he the QB of the future here but luckily good QBs are flooding the league now.

Gonna be interesting to see what they do at the position this off-season bc they could take a guy now or let Cam ride next year and draft a QB then. Maybe that Alabama QB will be eligible by then, who knows. 

I was definitely in the camp of letting cam play out his final year to see what he had left and go from there. I remember reading Marty wanted Herbert and rhule wanted to trade down for cj Henderson. He might’ve could’ve tried trading up but that’s unknown. Then skipping out on fields was a mistake. We botched this and were totally disrespectful to the most impactful player Carolina has ever had in the process. Now they’re asking cam to come save their asses. 

Depending on how the lead up to the draft goes I’m definitely down with a scenario where we trade down this year and still pick up someone like Malik to sit behind cam for a year or two while also bringing in another steady vet if cams health issues pop up again. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

I was definitely in the camp of letting cam play out his final year to see what he had left and go from there. I remember reading Marty wanted Herbert and rhule wanted to trade down for cj Henderson. He might’ve could’ve tried trading up but that’s unknown. Then skipping out on fields was a mistake. We botched this and were totally disrespectful to the most impactful player Carolina has ever had in the process. Now they’re asking cam to come save their asses. 

Depending on how the lead up to the draft goes I’m definitely down with a scenario where we trade down this year and still pick up someone like Malik to sit behind cam for a year or two while also bringing in another steady vet if cams health issues pop up again. 

When Marty Hurney is better than you at evalution.....oof.

• Pie 4
  • Flames 2

I mean I understand a new coaching staff and front office starting fresh. But if they were gonna cut Cam they shouldn't have paid Teddy. Let Will Grier play so you can tank and draft a QB in the top 5 (they could've positioned themselves for T Law, Fields, or Wilson by letting Grier play pretend Gardner Minshew for a year).

Or let Cam play on a reasonable deal in your "heavily schemed offense" that you think will make any ole QB look good. 

Just so frustrating the way they handled QB and OL as opposed to the defense which everyone loves. 

Edited by ImaginaryKev
  • Pie 6