• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Per Schefter: Panthers operating as if Darnold will miss the season

ImaginaryKev

2 hours ago, TheRumGone said:

Marty was really good in the first. Just sucked at everything else. The fact rhule wanted to trade down for cj is really alarming tbh. 

I’ll never understand it because of what they’ve done the past two years. It makes me nervous about how they view qbs and how they evaluate just based on price and draft capital given up. They went after Stafford which is good but damn. I would’ve been cool with taking a flyer on Darnold but for a 2nd 4th 6th and 18 million 5th year option pick up? And no vet backup? Wtf are we doing? Teddy and 60 million? Wtf. These moves are compounded by price and draft capital. 

I get this team needed major rebuilding pieces as the team was old and expensive. I get defensive heavy drafts, I get what they’re trying to do but some of these moves have been insanely dumb to even casual football fans. 

Amen 

Rhule’s moves at qb in free agency and skipping on QBs and  LTs in the drafts is to me egregious and shows zero understanding of the NFL and  set this team back years 

with all the rule  changes in the past 10 years, it’s a QB driven league in the NFL where the best of the best play 

this isn’t Baylor or temple where a coach can pick up some scruff and  ‘coach em up’ at QB.  

if I’m Tepper, either Rhule is gone or some credible nfl talent evaluator is brought in as a consultant to ‘help’ him  

cam Newton has come to try and save yet another coach’s ass and that’s a fact  can he do it…,remains to be seen 

• Pie 2

39 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

What rebuild? They're in win now mode with a team that can't win now. This will probably end up worse for the Panthers than when the Hornets cut their rebuild short years ago by signing Big Al and thinking him and a young Kemba were enough.

I think it depends on how they view certain QB’s in the upcoming draft.

Either it doesn’t work out and they have their choice of Corral, Willis, Howell, or Pickett.

Or it does work out and they are probably only looking at a choice between Howell or Pickett.

Additionally, if it does work out then Cam is probably getting a two or three year extension.

I wanted to believe so bad that this dude got a bad rap in NY and that he had something to show. 

first 3 games were all we needed, a game manager. Whatever has happened since the Dallas game has been all mental and dude just doesn't have it. 

we should cut bait the first change we get

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, TheRumGone said:

I’m trying to think of what team would actually trade for him to take on his 5th year option. Cant think of any even for us to give up a pick or two to do it. I’d rather just cut him, eat his cap next year and be done with it.

You're right, no one will trade for him.  But the second part doesn't make a lick of sense.  There is no cap relief whatsoever from cutting him.

This isn't like other situations where a guy has a huge cap hit and it's only partially guaranteed.  Sam Darnold being cut is just 18 million in dead cap, next year only.  Whether he is on the roster or not, we're stuck with it.

Let him sit on the bench.

25 minutes ago, methodtoll said:

My point was though, Fitty is in on every deal.  The fact that he was able to get anything for Little instead of cutting him shows just how good of GM he will be. 

Being “in” on every deal isn’t always a good thing. Especially when he was part of the process that exercised the option for no reason. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1