• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much is too much for a dog?

GOAT

Also, the most important thing is that you love your dog and take care of them.  Wherever you get them is up to you, and I have zero judgements if you buy or rescue.   Just love and take care of your dogs.

I'm a sucker for a rescue story so we rescued both of our dogs.  My pit (75% Staffordshire Terrier, 25% "companion breed") required some training.  She's not perfect, she still has her own jerk issues, but she learned how to assimilate into our family unit.  She learned that I am the alpha.  She knows the order of things, and she feels safe.

I'd say every dog and human could use the training.  When we did the class, the trainer said it was 90% for us because it was up to us to continually reinforce the training at home.  She's such a good girl, with her moments of butthole-ness.

20211028_191445.jpg

20211023_203926.jpg

• Pie 2

6 hours ago, toldozer said:

Now post all the people that died in car wrecks In 2021. Can we call people idiots or is that still bad? 

You called them idiots.  If the vast majority of the accidents were in a Corvair despite knowing the dangers though,  I would agree.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Whatev said:

You called them idiots.  If the vast majority of the accidents were in a Corvair despite knowing the dangers though,  I would agree.

Yeah I'm sure 99% of those incidents have nothing to do with ownership.  Weiner dogs are the most aggressive breed btw

17 hours ago, Whatev said:

Every single incident is human caused, not animal caused.  Historically, we have breed traits into dogs: protectiveness, sentry, herding, etc.  If an animal is not allowed to stretch those legs, or find a suitable alternative, then we will see behavior issues.  Animals are responsibilities.  For everyone who knows a great lazy dog, there are tons of dogs dumped in shelters because they don't fit that mold, and people can't be bothered to learn some responsibility.

People have raised animals to fight, it's not the dog's fault that humans did that.  Now when a person is irresponsible with their animals, all the animals get blamed and lumped together.  I have a friend who's daughter was attacked by a dog.  Why did that happen?  Because the owner of the dog was not responsible for their animal.  If your dog has issues, it's up to you to either learn to deal with them or find someone else who can, or give the animal up.  The friend doesn't blame the dog or the breed, but her neighbor who knew their dog didn't like small kids and still let the dog lose without restraint.

Like everything else, it requires responsibility on the part of the owner.  

For example: if I drive a car and hurt someone because I was doing something wrong (speeding let's say), I will suffer the legal consequences for it.  Does that stop people from speeding?  Nope.  People will continue to speed down the highways.  

I know my dog doesn't like many other dogs.  She LOVES people, but can't stand other dogs, especially loud, small dogs.  So I take her out on the leash all the time.  She never goes out without a leash, period.  My neighbor has a dog that barks and irritates her all the time that they let run loose in the backyard.  It can't be more than 20 pounds.  My dog would happily blow through the fence and have a snack if I let her.  But I don't, because I take responsibility for my animals, even if it is a little inconvenient at times.

I've only ever been bitten twice in my life, and both times were with the smaller, more anxious breeds.  

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, d-dave said:

Every single incident is human caused, not animal caused.  Historically, we have breed traits into dogs: protectiveness, sentry, herding, etc.  If an animal is not allowed to stretch those legs, or find a suitable alternative, then we will see behavior issues.  Animals are responsibilities.  For everyone who knows a great lazy dog, there are tons of dogs dumped in shelters because they don't fit that mold, and people can't be bothered to learn some responsibility.

People have raised animals to fight, it's not the dog's fault that humans did that.  Now when a person is irresponsible with their animals, all the animals get blamed and lumped together.  I have a friend who's daughter was attacked by a dog.  Why did that happen?  Because the owner of the dog was not responsible for their animal.  If your dog has issues, it's up to you to either learn to deal with them or find someone else who can, or give the animal up.  The friend doesn't blame the dog or the breed, but her neighbor who knew their dog didn't like small kids and still let the dog lose without restraint.

Like everything else, it requires responsibility on the part of the owner.  

For example: if I drive a car and hurt someone because I was doing something wrong (speeding let's say), I will suffer the legal consequences for it.  Does that stop people from speeding?  Nope.  People will continue to speed down the highways.  

I know my dog doesn't like many other dogs.  She LOVES people, but can't stand other dogs, especially loud, small dogs.  So I take her out on the leash all the time.  She never goes out without a leash, period.  My neighbor has a dog that barks and irritates her all the time that they let run loose in the backyard.  It can't be more than 20 pounds.  My dog would happily blow through the fence and have a snack if I let her.  But I don't, because I take responsibility for my animals, even if it is a little inconvenient at times.

I've only ever been bitten twice in my life, and both times were with the smaller, more anxious breeds.  

Some people should simply not have aggressive prone dogs.

Saw a video on Reddit the other day of a pitbull absolutely mauling another dog on the street with a dozen people trying to intervene. It was just horrible to watch. Nobody had any clue how to control the dog. Nobody punched the larger/aggressor dog directly on the lungs to quick release or choke it out. It had a hold of a retriever and would not let go everyone involved got torn up.

The point being was the owners literally just stood there in shock and didn’t do anything. It was depressing and infuriating to watch. Because a perfectly fine animal was put into a situation it should not have been in. 

My lady just the other day was out for a run on some trails, she came across what she described as a short woman(so well under 5 feet) with two very large dogs and a pit bull who tried to charge her. The owner literally got bulled over and was dragged a good distance by the dogs and proceeding to try and make it my lady’s fault for being on a public trail. Luckily the dogs had no ill intent. But stories like these just infuriate me. 

• Pie 1

20 hours ago, Whatev said:

Anytime someone gets shot, the media claims it's an AR or a Glock. Anytime someone gets dog bit, the same media claims it was a pit bull. No one is clicking on articles about a lab biting someone.

Even the "experts" get it wrong.

https://www.vetmed.ufl.edu/2016/02/17/dna-studies-reveal-that-shelter-workers-often-mislabel-dogs-as-pit-bulls/

Now tell those same "experts" this dog has bitten someone and the "identified as a pit bull" odds probably jump to 100%.

• Pie 1

14 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Anytime someone gets shot, the media claims it's an AR or a Glock. Anytime someone gets dog bit, the same media claims it was a pit bull. No one is clicking on articles about a lab biting someone.

Even the "experts" get it wrong.

https://www.vetmed.ufl.edu/2016/02/17/dna-studies-reveal-that-shelter-workers-often-mislabel-dogs-as-pit-bulls/

Now tell those same "experts" this dog has bitten someone and the "identified as a pit bull" odds probably jump to 100%.

I did a reading on Pitt bulls and they were creates for fighting for over a hundred years.  Most Pitts bulls are no longer have extreme aggression for fighting genetics but some still do.

• Pie 2

Beither and sister in law  bought some high prices purebred for several thousand dollars. Wound up with a dumb dog with health problems that cost them thousands more and counting. I guarantee you that they don't love that dog any more than I do my mutts and my mutts me.  Nothing but a pathetic status symbol.  Smartest dog I have ever seen, was a lab chow mix given to me by a couple of loser red neck neighbor s who were going to take him to the pound.  Smart and loyal as hell.  That dog would have ripped your throat out to protect his family. Frankly folks who perpetuate breeding when so many deserving animals die for lack of a home makes me sick.

8 hours ago, Paa Langfart said:

Beither and sister in law  bought some high prices purebred for several thousand dollars. Wound up with a dumb dog with health problems that cost them thousands more and counting. I guarantee you that they don't love that dog any more than I do my mutts and my mutts me.  Nothing but a pathetic status symbol.  Smartest dog I have ever seen, was a lab chow mix given to me by a couple of loser red neck neighbor s who were going to take him to the pound.  Smart and loyal as hell.  That dog would have ripped your throat out to protect his family. Frankly folks who perpetuate breeding when so many deserving animals die for lack of a home makes me sick.

Again.  Because it fits your life style and family does not means it fits others. Some people only buy used cars while others prefer paying premium for the new.

• Pie 1

On 12/4/2021 at 1:04 AM, Ja Rhule said:

I did a reading on Pitt bulls and they were creates for fighting for over a hundred years.  Most Pitts bulls are no longer have extreme aggression for fighting genetics but some still do.

My father had a pitbull growing up and told me it was the most loyal dog imaginable.  He also told me about a time another dog came in the yard and was basically ripped to shreds by it.  

Edited by Shocker
  • Pie 1

On 12/4/2021 at 1:04 AM, Ja Rhule said:

I saw in an interview that most dogs breed for fighting do not possess the required aggressive traits.

https://www.npr.org/2016/05/10/477350069/friend-or-fiend-pit-bull-explores-the-history-of-americas-most-feared-dog

Interesting read.

Honestly, I wish people wouldn't get so caught up on the breed and their histories.  Instead, they need to consider the breed and their needs when adopting a dog.  Like I knew someone who adopted a German Shepard-type but didn't train or exercise them or anything.  They just thought the dog would take care of itself to a degree.  Needless to say, their house was trashed until they learned they had to give the dog structure, jobs, and lots of training.  Thankfully, that person found someone who wanted to train the dog and keep them as a service animal for their spouse.  They have been happy for a long time.

The Bully Breeds are fantastic animals.  They aren't for everyone, but they are amazing animals for those who learn what to expect from them.  I will always have at least one bully in the house from now on.

• Pie 2