• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much is too much for a dog?

GOAT

1 hour ago, CRA said:

$100 adoption fee for my pit mix 

outside of basic shots she is in perfect health.    every mix I have ever had has had great health.  

everyone else in my family has expensive pure breed dogs.  All sorts of health issues.   They spend small fortunres on the their dogs healthcare. 

but my dog is dumb as a box rocks.  I guess that is the trade off.  Their dogs have been easier to train and are better behaved. 

Fair point. My dog is quite dumb too. But we have a cattle dog mix that is very very smart

1 hour ago, GOAT said:

The health concerns with purebreds is a good point, I've heard that before and definitely don't want to go down that road.

That being said, I've had problems with my mutts as well at some point or another - but paying the bill for a $100 mutt hurts a lot less than paying a $1,000 bill for a $5,000 dog.

Perhaps I will stop by the local shelter, I just hate going there unless I'm dead set on leaving with a dog. If I go there and don't see exactly what I'm looking for I'm gonna feel like an asshole.

Typically if you go to the shelter you WILL leave with a dog. Search petfinder.com and see if you find a purebred if that's what you really want.  At least look first before spending that coin 

3 minutes ago, toldozer said:

Disagree.  Of course on an individual basis it may not be true but overall mixed breeds have fewer issues 

http://www.instituteofcaninebiology.org/uploads/1/9/6/9/19691109/moller_2013_mixed_breed_dogs_are_not_protected_from_breed_disease_heritage__mydogdna.pdf

It has been publicly discussed for years that hereditary disorders would be a direct consequence of the strict selective breeding of pedigree dogs and that for this reason the purebreds would have a much greater risk of developing hereditary disorders than mixed breed dogs. According to the latest research by Bellumori and his group, this assumption does not seem to hold. Indeed many diseases seem to be as common in mixed breed as in pedigree dogs.

http://www.instituteofcaninebiology.org/uploads/1/9/6/9/19691109/purebred_dogs_not_always_at_higher_risk_for_genetic_disorders_study_finds__uc_davis_news__information.pdf

Study provides an insight into how breeding practices may reduce the prevalence of common genetic disorders.

A study by researchers at the University of California, Davis, suggests that mixed breed dogs don’t necessarily have an advantage when it comes to inherited disorders.

The study, published in Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, provides a better understanding of the prevalence and source of such disorders, and could advance efforts to prevent and treat genetic disorders in both dogs and humans, the researchers say.

8 minutes ago, Happy Panther said:

From what you referenced.  24 issues were studied.  13 were equal,  1 was more prevalent in mixed breeds 10 were more prevalent in purebreds. I don't think you made the point you were trying to make. I can quote it as well if you want..  and i believe the one that was more prevalent was a ligament issue.  Not, you know, cancer or heart issues 

Edited by toldozer

1 minute ago, toldozer said:

From what you referenced.  24 issues were studied.  13 were equal,  1 was more prevalent in mixed breeds 10 were more prevalent in purebreds. I don't think you made the point you were trying to make. I can quote it as well if you want..  

There are lots of studies out there. The consensus is not clear. Thus it is by definition debatable.

Lesson for all you kids out there. If someone makes a statement on the internet without support do your own research. If someone makes a statement on the internet and claims that it is not debatable you can be certain they don't really have any real insight. Same goes for when someone ends a statement with "PERIOD." They are usually full of feces. They are selling you something.

But since this not debatable I guess we are done here. I hope you find a great puppy.

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, onmyown said:

really zero logical reason to buy a dog

There are different kinds of people.  Cars being a great example.  Some prefer particular model and make and willing to pay premium to get it while others don’t care what they drive and go for value.  At the end of the day you will pay a ton of money and spend a lot of time on it.  Get what you want and will enjoy.

Edited by Ja Rhule
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, Ja Rhule said:

There are different kinds of people.  Cars being a great example.  Some prefer particular model and make and willing to pay premium to get it while others don’t care what they drive and go for value.

that’s emotional, not logical.

but that wasn’t my point, dogs are not an inanimate object 

there a literally millions homeless and out to death and you can find everything you want in a dog by simply adopting one

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, onmyown said:

that’s emotional, not logical.

but that wasn’t my point, dogs are not an inanimate object 

there a literally millions homeless and out to death and you can find everything you want in a dog by simply adopting one

Absolutely not true.  You get a purebred and you know exactly what you are getting with temper, energy and etc.  You get a mutt and you have no clue what you got.  You bring it home and hope the dog fits in.  

Edited by Ja Rhule

Pure breeds by and large are going to have more specific health issues. It's just a matter of reality when you artificially narrow the gene pool. The breeds with the most issues are the ones with the most extreme features signifying significant selective breeding and the ones that have undergone booms in popularity encouraging scrupulous backyard breeding for a buck with little to no concern for ethical breeding practices.

17 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Pure breeds by and large are going to have more specific health issues. It's just a matter of reality when you artificially narrow the gene pool. The breeds with the most issues are the ones with the most extreme features signifying significant selective breeding and the ones that have undergone booms in popularity encouraging scrupulous backyard breeding for a buck with little to no concern for ethical breeding practices.

Can you link a peer reviewed study?