• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How much is too much for a dog?

GOAT

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Did you talk to your breeder about hemangiosarcoma? That breed is wildly prone to it and it has a HEAVY genetic tendency.

Always a big concern, but our 12 year-old is free of it and the bloodlines for the 18-month old should be clean as well. Still, you can never been 100 percent certain no matter how you try.

Sadly, the breed has an average lifespan of 10 years. Big ol' dogs with big ol' hearts just don't live as long. 

Doggos.thumb.jpg.0f7b7f70379986b704921f743fd8ba8f.jpg1382084655_TheGals.thumb.jpg.504a99847124bd4720f00fb519d1d24a.jpg

• Pie 5

I have a purebred multi gen Australian Labradoodle ( aka “Cobberdog”) who is 7 years old.  Breeder was in MA and is meticulous regarding which dogs mate and often has sires brought in from other breeders.  At 2ish years old, he was playing with another dog and partially tore an MCL.  By accident we found he had hip displaysia.  Notified the breeder who confirmed the X-ray with her vet, then refunded us in full (3k). Our dog is healthy and hasn’t developed any debilitating issues.   I’m in touch with a couple other owners from the same litter and no one has had any problems.  

Long story, but my point is, find a reputable breeder that stands behind the health of the dog. Despite the health issue,  I would go back to this breeder if I were to get another dog.  They are a pain to deal with as I had to do all kinds of paperwork and the wait time was a little more than a year but my dog is extraordinary.  

• Pie 1

I've had great purebred and I've had great mutts.  You can't go wrong with either really, just have to put the time into it and get ready for the unknown.  Those people saying get insurance, you are so right.  I can tell you though it does seem like mutts know you have saved them but also just personal experience. 

I'm watching my 12 year old GSD fade in front of me and I'm losing my mind over it.  She isn't in pain, but has walking issues with back legs, #2 bathroom issues not knowing she's going, and a anal gland tumor we had removed years ago is coming back.  I know 12 years is a really good mark with a GSD but I've never been attached to an animal like her.  Such a good girl and best demeaner I've ever seen.  

Wife and I tell ourselves when the time comes we're taking a break from a dog to have a little more freedom but I know we won't last too long without a dog in our lives, I personally have never not had one since I was a child.  Even though we had a great experience with a pure bred GSD I may check out shelters for the next one.

• Pie 2

To each their own if you really want a certain breed, but I have always just felt better about adopting shelter dogs and giving them a chance rather than buying one. My current dog is a 6 year old German Shepherd mix who was really abused before I adopted him and is now doing great.

I volunteered at CMPD Animal Control for 6 years and helped with adoption of hundreds of dogs.  I even helped with surgeries and dog euthanasia.  I cannot tell you how many times the dog has been returned to the pound because it did not fit in with the family.  It broke my heart every time.  The biggest returners were families with kids and other pets.  If the dog was not integrated with the kids and/or other pets during its early puppy stage, sometimes the dog does not know how to behave around them.  These adoptions and returns really mess with the dog head.  We had some of the nicest dogs that were just not house broken and were euthanized.  They were adopted and returned multiple times.

What many of you might not know, the dogs that showed just a bit of anger issue were not even given an adoption chance.  They were euthanized almost immediately. 

• Pie 1

11 hours ago, GOAT said:

Welp, I officially purchased the pup - wanted to save him for an xmas present but I guess I got him as a Black Friday gift. I'm exited, thanks for all the input - no regerts!

Congrats. As long as you're informed about all potential issues,  do research and select a reputable breeder then I think you'll be happy.  

• Pie 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can tell you this, we spent way more than I would have felt comfortable with...but my wife wanted very specific things from said dog....now I'm glad I spent the money...he's exactly what we were looking for, in every way.

I look at it as a 10-15 year investment in your family...not just a "dog".  

Mine is a "mutt" but a very very designer style of mutt.  Medium Bernedoodle.  Wanted the calmness of the Mountain Dog but the non shedding and brains of the poodle.

To say I'm impressed would be an understatement.

• Pie 1

On 11/16/2021 at 11:48 AM, Ja Rhule said:

Get insurance for your dog.  Like $40 a month but worth it.

That has been the best thing for us.  It saved us a TON when one of my dogs had to have two knee surgeries.  Two ACLs was like $12k, we paid less than $2k out of pocket.  And my dog is healthy 😃

Health Insurance takes a LOT of stress off you.