• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Way too early look at ‘22 Offseason

Santee_Panther

1 minute ago, ThPantherFan said:

And that is a big chunk.  I have to add that, if Sam has protection and he can get set, he's a good QB.  His happy feet is his downfall. 

PJ looked better…and with the pics we have and limited cap this year it’s highly unlikely the OL is significantly better than this season. Also I doubt Tepper will be cool with Rhule running with Sam again. I also highly doubt Rhule will tie himself to Darnold on what will be a crucial year 3 for him and his staff.

• Beer 1

Reddick is a must sign. Pay whatever he costs, hopefully long term. He's young, likes Rhule and making game changing plays on defense. 

I think we choose between Jackson and Gilmore for corner. We still have Jaycee, Henderson, AJ and Keith Taylor as a core for corners next year. In thinking Jackson will want big money long term. He's earned it. Sign Gilmore to what is hopefully a slightly more team friendly deal for 2 more years and call it a day.

Like others mentioned Daquan Jones has been great. Would love to see 1 more year added to his contract. 

Need a tight end signed in the off season. Ian Thomas isn't looking like the answer. 

Not even sure where to start on the oline past letting Paradis walk. Hopefully with Cam and PJ at QB the oline doesn't look as unsalvagesble as it did before and it's not as bad as we all thought. Need a few more games without Sam to make that determination, but another guard in the off season would be great if elflein continues to play well at center. 

20 minutes ago, ThPantherFan said:

And that is a big chunk.  I have to add that, if Sam has protection and he can get set, he's a good QB.  His happy feet is his downfall. 

So what about when his feet are set got all day to throw and he's taking a sack cuz he was day dreaming instead of throwing the damn ball SAM DARNOLD HAS NEVER BEEN A GOOD QB PERIOD!!!! NOT EVEN IN COLLEGE

• Pie 4
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Kalil’s contract didn’t hurt us for years. The only reason we had cap hits for Kalil after he left was because we only had $5M cap hits in 2017/2018. We basically pushed it all out. So he was cheap for two years and we took the hits after he left. Still, it was only $25M in cap hits over 4 years, not exactly tough to handle. Darnold is $24M over two years. People seem to get so hung up on dead cap that they ignore the savings in the early years.

I feel like Matt Kalil is such a boogeyman in here that people still think he hurt us a ton on cap. We spent way more on Short’s last two years of 5 games and shitty play. We spend way more on 1 year of Teddy. We are spending almost exactly the same on 8 poo games of Darnold.

We’ve spent multiples of Matt Kalil in wasted cap over the past two seasons. The fact that Matt Kalil still gets mentioned as hell for his $25M when we’ve dumped $95M into Teddy, Darnold, Okung, Short, Weatherly, Robert’s and Apple since 2020 is amazing to me. It just shows how much of a boogeyman he is when his actual waste was a drop in the bucket.

Stop blaming Matt Kalil’s contract. It was nothing compared to the waste of the past two years.

Spot on I agree the last 2 seasons Tepper throwing away his billions

• Pie 1

OFFENSIVE LINE

Michael Jordan might be getting a contract if he continues his LG play.  If we can get Elf at C (he is on the hook through 2023) and sign Jordan to a deal, RG (Scott has been solid) and RT (Moton) are set.  We need a LT, and BC's development could determine that---I do not see him winning the job, but some lower body strength and technique and those short arms may be good enough. Still, instead of needing a C, LT, LG, and RG--we could have found a combination that works--if we get some LT play. 

DEFENSIVE TACKLE

Jones has been solid at DT, but we have Brown, Roy, Hoskins, and Nixon there--if you do not count Fox who plays inside (5 and 3 tech) a good bit. Depends on how the young guns are developing, but I would offer Jones a team-friendly deal and nothing more.

CORNERBACK

Jackson will want top dollar, but there is one factor here many are missing--Taylor has been playing lights out for a rookie.  Throw in Horn, Henderson (I am high on him) and Nickel Hartsfield, that is pretty solid.  I would love to sign one of the two departing vets, but the money could be spent elsewhere.

QUARTERBACK

Darnold just became the backup in 2022.  Cam is now entering a 7-game audition for the job.  If we like Cam Newton, he could (think Cap Room here) get a 3-year contract in which the final 2 years have more guaranteed money than 2022.  Let's hope that works out.  Even so, we need to draft a QB to develop at some point (2022 or 2023).  If Cam plays well, the 2022 draft is not as important as we originally thought.  If he does not, our record will have us picking in the 10-15 range and probably forcing us to take a QB.

FREE AGENCY

So we need to re-sign Reddick. No brainer the top priority of the offseason you don't mention Cam Newton yet.  We need a MLB.  Yes, signing Jones and Jackson would be nice, but we have depth at their positions.  Carter is not the answer, and our D would be better with a legit MLB.  It is my hope that free agency is used to re-sign Reddick, Cam Newton, and go get a MLB.

• Beer 1