• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Way too early look at ‘22 Offseason

Santee_Panther

3 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I saw someone post something about how it's not actually guaranteed except for injury, so maybe they're SOL there with his shoulder but I don't know. The 5th year option is a weird thing

They changed that injury rule with the 2018 draft picks, he's getting the $18m one way or another

2 hours ago, hepcat said:

I think they're going to cut Darnold. Bridgewater played better than Darnold and they got rid of him. I don't see him playing another snap for the Panthers.

I think they dumped bridgwater because they didn't want Sam to feel the extra pressure.  That's all out the window if he's the backup.  Sure it will cost a lot, but why cut him then have to find someone else for a few mil.  Might as well keep him as backup to someone (hopefully Cam), then draft the heir apparent in the 2022 draft to learn under the starter (again, hopefully Cam).

2 hours ago, hepcat said:

I think they're going to cut Darnold. Bridgewater played better than Darnold and they got rid of him. I don't see him playing another snap for the Panthers.

I agree with you.

Considering, as you stated, what they did with Bridgewater, I think it's easy to see the writing on the wall for this one. 

Except I don't recall us cutting Bridgewater but we did trade him to the Broncos.

56 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I don't know much about the 5th year option besides it's fully guaranteed. I wonder if they can split the money into multiple years at least? 

Multiple years with Sam on the roster?   lol. 

Don't see that happening.     Sam needs to be gone, at worst, after next season.

• Beer 1

6 hours ago, Icege said:

I got a feeling that we might move Sam for a day 3 pick so long as we take on half of the contract.

With '23 having a lot of available cap space, Fitterer can potentially get guys on deals similar to what they did with Moton (cap hit $4M this season, but escalates next season) should they be guys they're comfortable offering multi-year deals to.

Right now, our best bet looks like it's going to be rolling into the draft with Erving-Christensen-Elflein-Brown-Moton and seeing how the board falls. Maybe bring Daley and Scott back on cheap deals for depth while also bringing in a high quality vet than John Miller to compete for RG.

Everyone keeps saying stuff like this but you have to look at it from the other teams perspective.

Would you take a 5th round pick for the right to pay Sam $9m?  I wouldn't.

Another way to look at it is would you buy a 5th round pick for $9m?  I wouldn't.  A lot better chance of signing a decent vet to a 2 year $9m deal than a 5th actually working out.

1 hour ago, AU-panther said:

Everyone keeps saying stuff like this but you have to look at it from the other teams perspective.

Would you take a 5th round pick for the right to pay Sam $9m?  I wouldn't.

Another way to look at it is would you buy a 5th round pick for $9m?  I wouldn't.  A lot better chance of signing a decent vet to a 2 year $9m deal than a 5th actually working out.

We got a 7th for Greg Little.

Never underestimate somebody else's ability to make a mistake. 😛

• Pie 1

they'll either trade henderson or bouye in the offseason or let Gilmore walk in my opinion but I think we lose 1 cb total, they see the value of having a stacked defensive backfield

trade darnold and a pick (anything but a 1st) to get enough cap to keep reddick

Just now, Icege said:

Hence the proposing that the Panthers cover part of his contract like they did with Teddy if they want to try and turn him into a draft pick.

Yep. And Teddy had value and they still only got 3M and a 5th. Nobody would sign Darnold for more than 1M right now. So why would they trade to pay more. 

1 hour ago, Icege said:

We got a 7th for Greg Little.

Never underestimate somebody else's ability to make a mistake. 😛

Little makes 1.2 and 1.6 for each of two years, of which 100k is guaranteed.

Greg Little Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

1 hour ago, Icege said:

Hence the proposing that the Panthers cover part of his contract like they did with Teddy if they want to try and turn him into a draft pick.

I'm not saying this isn't possible, I just think we are going to have to cover a lot more than people think even if it does happen. Maybe we cover $17m of the $18m and we get a 7th.

How much do you think we would have to cover to get a 7th?

I do think out best chance of getting something for him is to keep him on the roster and let him play in next season's preseason, just to show he is healthy, and hopefully he can put up a good performance.

2 hours ago, TF330 said:

they'll either trade henderson or bouye in the offseason or let Gilmore walk in my opinion but I think we lose 1 cb total, they see the value of having a stacked defensive backfield

trade darnold and a pick (anything but a 1st) to get enough cap to keep reddick

2 2nd round picks, a 4th and a 6th, and 18 million guaranteed for 1 season of the worst starting QB in the league. Ooh wee mayne. 

21 minutes ago, BlackPanther21_ said:

2 2nd round picks, a 4th and a 6th, and 18 million guaranteed for 1 season of the worst starting QB in the league. Ooh wee mayne. 

I agree, coaches and GM's can't make many moves like that and keep their jobs.

losing those picks is rough but trading a ton for Darnold and having him cause us to lose Reddick / Djax would be even worse imo.  I hope we don't get caught up in the past and make the most of our current situation and maximize keeping that defense intact