• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith breaks down Curtis Samuel…

TheBigKat

Curtis Samuel the player is a fine player. I would even make make case I would rather have him than Robby Anderson because he's the bigger threat with the ball in his hands. I have seen him make contested catches run route and separate and ankle breaking yah yardage. All while growing into a wr.

He plays out the back field and probably one of the more versatile players we had. When cmc went down he instead of moore would have been coming out the backfield. That said his injury history has been unsatisfactory. He has barely played which is concerning. But nobody really could say he would miss this much time because we haven't seen it this bad. Tough break for Washington.

Not sure they overpaid on the talent but for the production most definitely not worth it. 

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

Curtis Samuel the player is a fine player. I would even make make case I would rather have him than Robby Anderson because he's the bigger threat with the ball in his hands. I have seen him make contested catches run route and separate and ankle breaking yah yardage. All while growing into a wr.

He plays out the back field and probably one of the more versatile players we had. When cmc went down he instead of moore would have been coming out the backfield. That said his injury history has been unsatisfactory. He has barely played which is concerning. But nobody really could say he would miss this much time because we haven't seen it this bad. Tough break for Washington.

Not sure they overpaid on the talent but for the production most definitely not worth it. 

Health and cost not factoring?  You give me the choice of Robby or Samuel? I'd take Samuel every time.    Robby might go deep better but I like just about everything else in the Samuel direction.  And he would help us properly spell CMC.   And we should of been giving him some of that work steadily to not overwork CMC before last season forced us into it. 

Health alone is why you basically have to steer clear of Samuel at this point.  Unless he is just playing for a super cheap deal. 

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Smitty's stats sucked on those seasons where he was injured, too.

He just kicks people when they are down. Loved him when he was on the field, this stuff since then really shows the quality of the man.

it's on spotify.  They brought up Samuel.  Basically said he was a fine player and guy but the injury issue is why they overpaid.    Wasn't that bad by Steve standards in reality. 

89 - thinks Ron is a really good HC.  Having a really good HC is just that though.  Doesn't mean that is enough to win.   Not sure he feels great about Ron's long term odds because of everything else wrong with Washington. 

Thinks Carolina should win this game. 

Doesn't like the Norv coaching offshoots.   Not a fan of Scott Turner or Jason Garrett as playcallers. 

Thinks everyone is way too focused on Cam right now.  Doesn't like how Cam was credited with the  win essentially last week.    Which wasn't Cam hate.  There is some truth there. 

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, CRA said:

it's on spotify.  They brought up Samuel.  Basically said he was a fine player and guy but the injury issue is why they overpaid.    Wasn't that bad by Steve standards in reality. 

89 - thinks Ron is a really good HC.  Having a really good HC is just that though.  Doesn't mean that is enough to win.   Not sure he feels great about Ron's long term odds because of everything else wrong with Washington. 

Thinks Carolina should win this game. 

Doesn't like the Norv coaching offshoots.   Not a fan of Scott Turner or Jason Garrett as playcallers. 

Thinks everyone is way too focused on Cam right now.  Doesn't like how Cam was credited with the  win essentially last week.    Which wasn't Cam hate.  There is some truth there. 

I don't  think people credit Cam for the win but he was talked about more than the actual win. His 1st game back of course and the energy that I guess you did see when Darnold was the Qb. He contributed to the win but everyone knows that it was a team win. Cam just gave them the boost and it wasn't even as much as him playing. Just really his presence on the sideline. I mean it is what it is and if you want to be talked about individually bring it every week make your teammates better you will get some clout.

As for Smith, great player but when he talks about Cam to me he seems sour toward him in some ways.

Edited by Darvinsun
  • Pie 2
  • Flames 2

9 hours ago, Varking said:

His career in a nutshell. He’s almost always missing parts of a season. 

His catch rate prior to last year was terrible as well, which we also forget.  One of the reasons we perceive that he was so good last year is that his catch percentage went from mid 50's for the first three years to 80 in 2020.  To me, that says less about how he was used and more about him making the most of his opportunities.

In a contract year.

18 hours ago, CRA said:

14 hours ago, Darvinsun said:

As for Smith, great player but when he talks about Cam to me he seems sour toward him in some ways.

@CRAThe thing is that it is Cam hate because it didn't need to be said. That is a media take and why we listen to former players so much hoping that they don't give the same take as someone on Facebook. Cam said it wasn't about him and this is still Steve's take. @Darvinsun it seems like he is sour because he is sour. Regardless of what happens throughout the rest of the season, that was a story book return against the Cardinals. It was an in season storybook return home that Steve never got to or never will experience. If you listen to Greg Olsen on Steve's A Football Life episode, Steve didn't want to deal with Cam from day one. Then he was jettisoned to remove his negativity for it to be Cam and Luke's team. Steve would have never been as good in his probably "Hall of Fame" career if he would've been the guy to "let things go" or engage in "it is what it is" talk. He still harbors some ill feelings towards Cam. Hey you see he's still hating on WRs drafted by the Carolina Panthers and that has been his modus operandi since 05. The first and only positive thing I have heard him say about a WR we drafted was his take when DJ Moore was drafted.