• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Really, what does Derrick Brown do?

FuFuLamePoo

I was dead set against the pick. He's a one dimensional player who really isn't even thay goo at stopping the run. Maybe it's our scheme? But basically he's a 3-4 tackle and he's not good at it. Top 10 picks at tackle have to generate a pash rush to validate the pick.

We could have gotten a space eater layer if we just wanted a slab to hold the middle. A guy like al woods comes to mind. I was a Simmons guy we give or take has been average to above I stand by the pick. 

We don't have two bookend DEs who are good-great against the run (CJ/Hardy, Pep/Ruck) with TD and Luke prowling behind them anymore to plug any leaks.  We're kind of small on the DL all around compared to the best defenses Fox and Rivera had.  

Somebody said it in the game thread but we're kind of built like the mid-2000s Colts on the line.  Two small-ish fast pass rushers on the edges sacrificing contain on the outside for the ability to get to the QB.  Washington punished us off tackle all game because of that.  What made those Manning teams of that era so deadly was that you'd blink and be down 14 and then Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney would be lighting you up.  We're uh not quite at that level on offense yet, hence Sunday.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

Somebody said it in the game thread but we're kind of built like the mid-2000s Colts on the line.  Two small-ish fast pass rushers on the edges sacrificing contain on the outside for the ability to get to the QB.  Washington punished us off tackle all game because of that.  What made those Manning teams of that era so deadly was that you'd blink and be down 14 and then Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney would be lighting you up.  We're uh not quite at that level on offense yet, hence Sunday.

Yea the only reason those Colts defenses worked even as well as they did which still wasn't all that great was that they scored all the fugin time. We have Mr. play defense and run the ball and try to get 1 more point than the opponent...literally the opposite of how you'd want to build a defense complimentary to the offense you have.

He's a pass rush DT in the nature of his play style, he moves forward and that's about it. This whole defense is built to be strong in pass defense. 

Teams haven't quit running the ball, though. And the smart ones against us really, really run the ball. So much so that I think it may actually be what is making our pass defense look so good statistically. Why pass when your second string back can get 10 yards before a player locks in a tackling grip?

• Beer 2

2 hours ago, WUnderhill said:

Should have never let Star leave.

That was number 2-3 dumbest move they have made in the last ten years. He instantly made and kept Buffalo's d-line relevant. 

The thing I notice about Brown is he never keeps rush lane integrity! He just operates out of control giving any QB with a decent set of legs ability to scramble in his gap consistently! Heinecke did it yesterday on a couple of big third down plays! If you maintain gap integrity, those are sacks!

5 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

That was number 2-3 dumbest move they have made in the last ten years. He instantly made and kept Buffalo's d-line relevant. 

The thing I notice about Brown is he never keeps rush lane integrity! He just operates out of control giving any QB with a decent set of legs ability to scramble in his gap consistently! Heinecke did it yesterday on a couple of big third down plays! If you maintain gap integrity, those are sacks!

So you were willing to cut KK.. Because you couldn't keep them both??

1 minute ago, WOW!! said:

So you were willing to cut KK.. Because you couldn't keep them both??

If you remember, Star left because we didn't act like we wanted him. We were slow to offer a contract and in the end we were outbid by a miniscule amount because of how we went about negotiations. His Buffalo contract was only ten million a year. And if we would have resigned him, by the time KK's injuries started rearing their head we would've had maneuverability to shed some money. The first part of the statement is based on hindsight which is 20/20. But I always felt like Star was greater to our success because of the consistent stonewalling of opponents run game and the results were Luke got to run freely. The great Ray Lewis once threw a very public tantrum when the Ravens let all of their space occupying DTs go for pass rushers because he knew how they keep big ass interior lineman off middle backers.

10 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

If you remember, Star left because we didn't act like we wanted him. We were slow to offer a contract and in the end we were outbid by a miniscule amount because of how we went about negotiations. His Buffalo contract was only ten million a year. And if we would have resigned him, by the time KK's injuries started rearing their head we would've had maneuverability to shed some money. The first part of the statement is based on hindsight which is 20/20. But I always felt like Star was greater to our success because of the consistent stonewalling of opponents run game and the results were Luke got to run freely. The great Ray Lewis once threw a very public tantrum when the Ravens let all of their space occupying DTs go for pass rushers because he knew how they keep big ass interior lineman off middle backers.

I remember us not being able to pay 2 DT'S that much money.. Its just not smart.  Star wasn't fan of the south and he wasn't giving us a discount... Ppl freaked out paying 2 RBs.. They couldn't afford to do that at DT..

Edited by WOW!!