• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

5 major factors blame for loss. Cat Crave

raleigh-panther

I'll preach it from day one that there are three problems.....

1) No priority to building a strong foundation in the offensive line.......

2) Creating a small fast and scheming defense that is exposed to getting punched in the mouth by an NFL caliber power running game......

3) The coaching staff thinking the NFL can learn from the way we do things in college........

That's it.....the recipe for mediocracy in the NFL right there............and the Panthers are leading the way. 

Cam?.........he was a duel threat interesting QB in his day but became injured before he ever developed into a good pocket passing QB...as a result right now he's a outstanding back up QB but time will tell if he still has it in him to be a starter in the NFL anymore. 

But based on the above 3 problems I've stated he's not going to be able to find that out playing with the Panthers...........he makes for good show, pr and copy having him here for a while and he does give the Panthers the best chance to win but that's not saying much because of the ongoing pee wee league coaching and overall team development. 

• Pie 3
  • Poo 1

38 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Article from Cat Crave.  I’m posting number 5 first   It is simple and straightforward 

https://catcrave.com/2021/11/21/5-major-factors-blame-carolina-panthers-loss-washington/5/

5. Carolina Panthers were outcoached

This would have been incredibly satisfying for Ron Rivera, who got one over on the team that fired him on his first visit back to Bank of America Stadium. It was a masterful gameplan for the head coach, who snuffed out pretty quickly what the Carolina Panthers were doing on offense and knew exactly where to attack the defensive side of things thanks to his previous knowledge of some personnel.

These smooth adjustments made a significant difference as the game went on. Something Matt Rhule and his staff couldn’t match and this ongoing complication is holding the Panthers back.

That’s the long and short of it, really.

Making excuses for poor execution and sloppy situational football is all well and good and might fly in other organizations. But not when it occurs most weeks.

Rhule is no longer a rookie head coach learning his craft. So it’s about time he started acting like it and start making the correct in-game adjustments that counteract what the other team is doing and provide a spark that simply isn’t there for the Panthers immediately after the halftime break.

Until this happens, the Panthers will only get so far. If last weekend’s shock win at the Arizona Cardinals was their most complete display of 2021, then this one saw them revert to type.

4. Carolina Panthers had no answer for Terry McLaurin

Curtis Samuel was unable to prove his fitness and take the field against his former team. But one wide receiver stood up and made his presence felt from start to finish.

The Washington Football Team was depending on Terry McLaurin more than ever before. And he delivered with a special performance that further enhanced his reputation as one of the league’s brightest young players at the position.

McLaurin gave Donte Jackson and the Carolina Panthers an untold amount of problems. One that didn’t really get solved unless All-Pro cornerback Stephon Gilmore was matched up against him.

Just why Gilmore didn’t get this responsibility prominently was bemusing. But the Panthers are clearly limiting the corner’s snaps as he continues to work his way back from a torn quad.

Blown coverages and miscommunication didn’t exactly help, either.

The Ohio State product’s stat line of five receptions for 103 receiving yards and a touchdown could have been more had Taylor Heinicke connected with McLaurin when open. Washington also got plenty of success in the run game that meant the passing attack wasn’t needed all that much.

Everyone who matched up with him had a tough time outside of Gilmore. In Jackson’s case, this was his most disappointing performance of 2021 by a considerable margin.

3.  Carolina Panthers struggled on 3rd down

It was a bad afternoon for the Carolina Panthers on third down. This was a problem on both sides of the football and something that played a leading role in their eventual demise.

You aren’t going to win much going 2-9 on third down and 1-3 on fourth down. Although quarterback Cam Newton played well considering his limited knowledge of the playbook with just one week of practice to go off.

Just bad execution in key moments coupled with poor situational football. And when one examines the Panthers’ efforts in 2021, these will be two areas that deserve to be scrutinized heavily.

If that wasn’t enough, the defense just couldn’t get Washington off the field. Something they can take advantage of with Taylor Heinicke under center as was proven in their upset win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in Week 10.

Washington went 6-13 on third down and a perfect 2-2 on fourth-down conversions. The fact they managed to move the chains from a 3rd-and-21 situation in the second half was unacceptable and a microcosm of how things went for Carolina in this statistical category.

Back to the drawing board, one suspects. But these problems are ongoing and it comes down to coaching staff adjustments – or a lack thereof – to get better.

2.  Carolina Panthers couldn’t stop the run

Phil Snow’s defense was conceding 107 yards per game on the ground before Sunday. But it’s also worth noting that they’ve shopped substantial yardage against the run in almost every defeat this season.

Something that proved to be the case once again in Week 11.

The Carolina Panthers were porous stopping the run. And things looked promising early on when they forced Antonio Gibson into a red-zone fumble.

After that, it was one-way traffic as Washington’s offensive line had their way with Carolina’s defensive front en route to 190 rushing yards from 40 total carries.

Simply put, it was not good enough. And the Panthers defense sure picked a day to have their most lethargic performance of the campaign.

Hopefully, this is just a small bump in the road and they can get back on track next weekend at the Miami Dolphins. But run-stopping has become a problem when things aren’t going the Panthers’ way at times.

What made matters worse was Washington’s offensive line being banged up and still managing to generate push consistently. Carolina’s defensive front just wasn’t at the races and it was too much for the offense to overcome.

1. Penalties cost the Carolina Panthers in big moments

Remember the “Don’t Beat Ourselves” sign that was prominent across training camp? Well, the message continues to get ignored if this game was any indication.

The Panthers were once again victims of their own demise with costly penalties in key moments. This halted their momentum just enough for Washington to hold on and gain revenge for Ron Rivera.

Carolina gave up seven penalties for 65 yards throughout the contest. Although this was fewer than Washington on the day, it was the timing of the infringements that made a massive difference.

A lack of discipline cost the Panthers in a big way. And in all honesty, not for the first time this season.

Truth Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

People say Rhule is rebuilding  

I just have no idea what he is building 

the fact is, just like a house, you start with the foundation…the lines…he has a dline that gets pushed around against the big boys  hit them in the mouth and they don’t hit back.   He has a horrible oline   He brings back Cam, I believe to keep from getting lynched 

honestly, that defense yesterday, looked like they quit.

The frustration of feeling that Tepper missed on this coaching staff is overwhelming

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

45 minutes ago, PghPanther said:

I'll preach it from day one that there are three problems.....

1) No priority to building a strong foundation in the offensive line.......

2) Creating a small fast and scheming defense that is exposed to getting punched in the mouth by an NFL caliber power running game......

3) The coaching staff thinking the NFL can learn from the way we do things in college........

That's it.....the recipe for mediocracy in the NFL right there............and the Panthers are leading the way. 

Cam?.........he was a duel threat interesting QB in his day but became injured before he ever developed into a good pocket passing QB...as a result right now he's a outstanding back up QB but time will tell if he still has it in him to be a starter in the NFL anymore. 

But based on the above 3 problems I've stated he's not going to be able to find that out playing with the Panthers...........he makes for good show, pr and copy having him here for a while and he does give the Panthers the best chance to win but that's not saying much because of the ongoing pee wee league coaching and overall team development. 

What you saw yesterday out of Cam, after a week of practice with the team, indicates to you that he’s backup level?! Hell, give the man a complete off-season and training camp with the team and I fully believe he will be back to near MVP level of play. He looked incredible given the circumstances. And lets not forget Rivera, if anybody knows exactly what to do to confuse Cam, and he still went out and completed 80% of his passes, had 3 total TDs and zero turnovers. Personally I think our QB issues are now solved, at least for the rest of the year, hopefully much longer. 

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

We continue to have young team problems. But remember in 2011 and 2012 we were having growing pains and Rivera was getting out coached as well. I remember seeing some frustrating losses in 2012 that were very similar to what we're seeing this season too. They didn't really put it all together until 2013. Only issue is that young team had a very young Cam Newton and Luke Kuechly. This team has....I mean you can't even compare the two. This team doesn't have the same kind of potential with the QB situation the way it is.

48 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

People say Rhule is rebuilding  

I just have no idea what he is building 

the fact is, just like a house, you start with the foundation…the lines…he has a dline that gets pushed around against the big boys  hit them in the mouth and they don’t hit back.   He has a horrible oline   He brings back Cam, I believe to keep from getting lynched 

honestly, that defense yesterday, looked like they quit.

The frustration of feeling that Tepper missed on this coaching staff is overwhelming

I'd even take Chucky right now, bottom of the barrel NFL beats college every time.

I'm not advocating for Chucky but HE would do better than this. He would love to have Cam and this team and be back in the NFC South. I'm not advocating here. He'd have to drop his lawsuit(win,win for NFL). He's the only personality bigger than Cam. I'm not advocating but those two would probably be very good together.

I'm not advocating for Jon Gruden to come back to the NFC South. But it might be a good idea. He's pure NFL. I think this is a better fit than Vegas. He would have the gravitas to really debate and build with a owner like Tepper.

I'm not advocating. 

• Pie 1