• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

• panthers-redskins-1.jpg

Notebook: No concerns with Cam Newton throwing downfield

Carolina Panthers

Prove IT!!

Teams will not respect the long pass til you prove the team is capable, its that simple. Safetys will live in the box and DBs will focus on 5 yards slats, screens, etc... CMC can only cover up so much.  I do member a nice Temble catch that I thought was a good 20+ yarder.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

I would think it has more to do with, lack of time to allow deep routs to develop. The Oline has not exactly been allowing for that most of the season. Not to mention the guy probably needs a game or 3 to get back into playing form. I don't doubt the injuries have taken their toll, but I didn't really see anything yesterday that has me too worried about Cam. 

1 hour ago, Basbear said:

Prove IT!!

Teams will not respect the long pass til you prove the team is capable, its that simple. Safetys will live in the box and DBs will focus on 5 yards slats, screens, etc... CMC can only cover up so much.  I do member a nice Temble catch that I thought was a good 20+ yarder.

Well, in this instance, he is telling the truth.  Darnold had no concerns about his shoulder until that hit in Atlanta and we still hardly ever attempted shots downfield and I think he was among the league's lowest, if not the worst, in air yards per attempt or something like that.  Same with Teddy last season...  it's Brady's offense.  And in the post game presser yesterday when asked about Cam's avg yards per attempt being 7 yards, Rhule said he didn't see anything wrong with that and that he would take that every Sunday.  It's their stupid idea of how an offense should be run...  

It's also why I think Cam didn't see DJ on that late play where he beat his man over the top.  When you drill it into your QBs to dump it off non-stop, in pairing with the pressure they're getting bc of the OL, the chances to take a deep shot are few and far between.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

7 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

And has been discussed elsewhere, Cam completed multiple 50+ air yard passes last season.  He has still has plenty enough arm.  Once again, it's Brady's remedial dumbass offense that is the issue.

Official Panthers comments literally just said play calling but we gon have people still try to say its not lol. Great poo tbh.

• Pie 1

At some point, we really have to ask if Matt Rhule is the one taking the air out of the pass. 

Matt Rhule made his name in small time college football playing conservative offense and playing to his defense. 

- first add was Checkdown Teddy.  

- second add was Sam - and reports all camp were on him having Sam checkdown all camp.    The spin was always that Sam sucked and he was fixing him.   

- after Cam’s first start he was asked again about the air yards.  Can’t remember the exact quote but something along the lines of he would always take that. 

then you look at Joe Brady, a man who when not attached to Matt Rhule, was noted for his aggressive downfield pass scheme. 

• Pie 2