• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just listened to every player and coach post game and Monday presser...

TheCasillas

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

In the presser Rhule brought this up as well... he started with the D and mentioned our offense still needs to convert on third downs and not commit penalties that kill drives. He is right... our 3rd conversion rate was abysmal. If we can convert on 25% more than we did, then takes at least one posession away from WFT. Maybe even before the half ends where they ended with a TD. 

We have to keep the ball away from the opposing team, and put them into a one dimensional situation.

Absolutely. I'm not one to think you can only work on one thing at a time.

Still, that D was on the field except one possession by the Offense in the 3rd? That's after a halftime breather...WTF was 6 of 13 on 3rd down and 2 for 2 on 4th down while we were 2 for 9 on 3rd down and 1 for 3 on 4th down. We failed everywhere really.

3 minutes ago, BrianS said:

I agree, we couldn't get off the field, but you can't say our O was putting points up.  21 points is terrible.  It's below average for the league.  24.5 is average, 26.5 gets you into the top 10.

Our offense had MULTIPLE chances to win that game in the final six minutes, and we failed TWICE!  The defense got a poo sandwich because the offense turned it over at our 32, and they held to a FG and gave the offense two minutes to win.

I'm not comparing us to anything good, just ourselves where we didn't score for the better part of 4 games. That's improving where the D regressed hard. You are not wrong sir. It's still not good enough and I didn't intend to come off that way. 

Edit: Our QB was also on the team for a little over a week. I'm not happy with Brady but there is a curve we should see every week moving forward going up or else. 

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 1

33 minutes ago, frankw said:

Rhule handpicked Brady. These issues with situational playcalling didn't just come up this week. He can't go to his oc and tell him "okay no more of that this is what we are going to do here are some pointers"? I'm not on the fire Rhule train but the first season we heard quite a bit about how they share a philosophy. If there is an issue correct it and if your coordinator can't or won't why is he still here? Some of this reasoning sounds like the days of Ron Rivera throwing his own coordinators under the bus. In the end the buck stops with the head honcho and that isn't Brady.

Sounds like coaches also need to be coached up! That responsibility falls on the head coach to get his staff in line and on the same page. Players aren't the only ones who need to be coached, some coaches need it too. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, CarolinaRideorDie said:

Sounds like coaches also need to be coached up! That responsibility falls on the head coach to get his staff in line and on the same page. Players aren't the only ones who need to be coached, some coaches need it too. 

but just like players, if they dont get it... then they too can be gone. That's the sign of a good HC as well. You move on from the pieces that are holding you back. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

47 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I spent the last two hours listening to all of the pressers from Monday and Sunday, and I have to say.... there is something that is very evident happenig in that locker room. Here are my takeaways:

1. Joe Brady has lost the team. No one stood up for him or said anything in his defense when asked about the playcalling. Rhule used to be the one who would play gaurdian for Brady... but not yesterday, he basically said that we have to get away from this underneath passing game and also stop giving up on the run so quickly. Sounds like Brady is just not getting it. His third down play calling took most of the brunt of the comments, but his reliance on CMC for those short passes is leading to frustration. I dont expect him to be here next year.

2. "If the defense would run the plays called by Phil (Snow), we'd not give up a first on those 3rd and 4th downs." - This comment... that hurts. I was at the game and our defense definitely looked lost at times, and even panicking right before the snap. With all of the preaching coming from the players and coaches during the pressers about our "leaders needing to be leaders".... this is an example of that. Sounds like our defense is missing one more leader, my guess would be a veteran safety. I remember when Kuechly used to bust players chops for being out of position and literally move players where they are supposed to be... that's missing right now.

3. As much as this board wants to rip and blame Rhule, judging by those pressers we are alone. Not a single player said anything agaisnt Rhule, and matter of fact basically repeated everything he has said in his own pressers. That means they are bought into him as a leader of this team. As was said in the presser "Rhule isnt the one out there blowing coverages or holding players" 

4. We have to stop being knuckleheads with our penalties. It sounds like our oline coach is going to be in some hot water moving forward. Our o-line is responsible for most of our penalties, and they are bonehead penalties. I'd expect an offensive trench overhaul this off season.  Which we are all hoping for anyways. These guys practice this stuff 100s of times per week, but seem to get it wrong on Sundays... this falls on the positional coach and the player himself. 

5. Rhule didnt throw anyone under the bus like most keep saying here. He said it all starts with the leaders on this team, including himself.  That's 100% accurate. We have a young team and players who have 10x the amount of reps they have. They need to step up and whip this kids into shape and drive focus on the execution. Rhule said they knew the plays the WFT were calling and Snow was calling the plays to stop it, but our players were out of position or missing gap assignments. Either Snow's defensive is way too complex (I doubt it) or we need to have someone back there putting people in their place.

6. Lastly, sounds like Donte blamed other people during the game instead of taking on ownership of his mistakes. He admitted to this lightly, and stated that there were 2-3 plays that he fuged up. He humbled up and said he will be better. I dont think Donte is with us next year, sounds like the "me first" mentality still exists in his head. (ie 2018)

TL DR:  Rhule isnt the problem. Brady gone. We need one more defensive veteran/leader. Donte wasn't the leader he was supposed to be on Sunday. 

Well said.  I've been saying it for the longest. Brady is overrated....everyone wanted to jump on his band wagon at lsu cause he was able to benefit from having to work with probably the most talented offensive roster in college football history.  Jermaine Carter is NOT the guy to lead this defense.  2nd tier at best. And from here on out stephon Gilmore needs to be #1 CB on the depth chart and probably give Henderson more 1st team reps...let bouye play slot

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, Geronimo said:

Well said.  I've been saying it for the longest. Brady is overrated....everyone wanted to jump on his band wagon at lsu cause he was able to benefit from having to work with probably the most talented offensive roster in college football history.  Jermaine Carter is NOT the guy to lead this defense.  2nd tier at best. And from here on out stephon Gilmore needs to be #1 CB on the depth chart and probably give Henderson more 1st team reps...let bouye play slot

He wasn't even their OC

We just have some people on here who take hype from ESPN to heart and apparently a FO that does too. And even in that he did it for only one year so there is nothing there. Literally nothing sustained nothing proven over time. Just one year as an assistant coordinator with an offense that had get this:

https://lsutigerswire.usatoday.com/2020/05/05/every-draft-eligible-player-from-lsus-2019-offense-is-now-on-an-nfl-roster/

EVERY DRAFT ELIGIBLE PLAYER FROM LSU 2019 OFFENSE IS NOW ON A NFL ROSTER

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

Sounds like Donte freelances a little bit.

I remember watching the Amazon special when they were following our team. Donte was Coming off his rookie season may be? He had some great on ball place his rookie year but then got called out for his technique his second year. I remember the secondary coach there and veteran players on defense lighting him up for that. Seems like he still hasn’t learned. He’s gone after this year. No way we resign him. I’m guessing Snow and Rhule see his talent and that’s why he gets snaps. But as a long term leader and max corner…not putting their eggs in that basket. Hence why Henderson and Gilmore are in the fold. 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Fox007 said:

He wasn't even their OC

We just have some people on here who take hype from ESPN to heart and apparently a FO that does too. And even in that he did it for only one year so there is nothing there. Literally nothing sustained nothing proven over time. Just one year as an assistant coordinator with an offense that had get this:

https://lsutigerswire.usatoday.com/2020/05/05/every-draft-eligible-player-from-lsus-2019-offense-is-now-on-an-nfl-roster/

EVERY DRAFT ELIGIBLE PLAYER FROM LSU 2019 OFFENSE IS NOW ON A NFL ROSTER

Yeah I know,  he was the passing game coordinator.  But you're right.  I  blame hurney for this misfire on hiring brady.  

2 minutes ago, Geronimo said:

Yeah I know,  he was the passing game coordinator.  But you're right.  I  blame hurney for this misfire on hiring brady.  

Also posted this in another thread that isn't very active but people can read up for theirselves.

https://247sports.com/college/lsu/LongFormArticle/LSU-Tigers-football-National-Championship-Game-Clemson-2020-New-Orleans-Steve-Ensminger-interview-142080486/#142080486_10

Q. Have you seen the offense really adjust quickly each time?
STEVE ENSMINGER: Yes, yes. The beauty of it, like I said, is we have No. 9 at quarterback. It was the Georgia game where they line up in a drop eight deal and evening else. I told Coach Brady, I said, Look, figure out what the hell they doing because I'm going to keep throwing it until we figure it out.(Steve Ensminger not Joe Brady) 
Because you have 9 at quarterback, you can do that.

Q. Is it enjoyable working with a guy like Joe Brady who is able to be a right-hand man during the game?
STEVE ENSMINGER: It is. Like I said, Joe Brady talks to Joe Burrow as much as I do. Putting in this passing system and everything else, like I said, when Joe comes off the field, he's on the phone with Brady because I'm preparing for the next series. They're going through the last series.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28015035/how-lsu-tigers-offense-completely-changed-thanks-joe-brady

Whatever it took to get athletes the ball in space, he said, "It's exactly what we want."

And by doing so, by allowing Brady to bring his own blend of the RPO and West Coast offenses to LSU, those athletes have finally been put in space and set free.

https://www.nola.com/archive/article_b45052a6-f847-5998-af79-193456f2ba5e.html

Just doing a cursory look you can see Brady is a analysis guy, shows up on white boards and talks abotu what he sees with the defense. Ensminger was clearly the head man in charge and has been OC going back to 84'. Their offense was Cam Camerons as a base which is the Air Coryell  then Brady bringing in RPO/West Coast concepts.

The Tigers averaged 465 yards and 32 points per game under Ensminger but he was still using Cam Cameron's playbook.

https://www.andthevalleyshook.com/2013/5/29/4365488/i-believe-they-can-fly-air-coryell-cam-cameron-the-lsu-offense-part-1

https://www.andthevalleyshook.com/2013/5/29/4365528/i-believe-they-can-fly-air-coryell-cam-cameron-the-lsu-offense-part-2

The deep shots to their NFL WRs were based on The Air Coryell part of their offense. Not some Joe Brady

Edited by Fox007
  • Beer 2

Anytime I dared suggest Brady was a part of the problem, you had people bending over backwards to defend him, even though he has done nothing to prove himself in the NFL.  "Oh he's just been hamstrung by having terrible QBs his whole time here.  There's no way he can be successful with the trash he's been working with".  Remember the "Now it's obvious Darnold was the cause of 99% of our offensive problems" narrative that was so popular after last week's win?  Yeah, not looking so good now.

Now that Brady has Cam Newton, it'll be interesting to see some people *cough* CRA *cough* stuck between a rock and a hard place in deciding who he wants to attribute blame to between Brady and Cam if our offensive struggles continue.  I'm ecstatic Darnold is out of the picture, not only because he's been bad, but because we don't have to hear the stupid "all Darnold's fault" narrative where people dig their head in the sand and pretend our playcalling hasn't also sucked and our o-line isn't a turnstyle.

You can say Brady is still limited for now while Cam is learning the playbook, but there's no excuse for CMC only having 10 carries.

1 hour ago, TheCasillas said:

I spent the last two hours listening to all of the pressers from Monday and Sunday, and I have to say.... there is something that is very evident happenig in that locker room. Here are my takeaways:

1. Joe Brady has lost the team. No one stood up for him or said anything in his defense when asked about the playcalling. Rhule used to be the one who would play gaurdian for Brady... but not yesterday, he basically said that we have to get away from this underneath passing game and also stop giving up on the run so quickly. Sounds like Brady is just not getting it. His third down play calling took most of the brunt of the comments, but his reliance on CMC for those short passes is leading to frustration. I dont expect him to be here next year.

2. "If the defense would run the plays called by Phil (Snow), we'd not give up a first on those 3rd and 4th downs." - This comment... that hurts. I was at the game and our defense definitely looked lost at times, and even panicking right before the snap. With all of the preaching coming from the players and coaches during the pressers about our "leaders needing to be leaders".... this is an example of that. Sounds like our defense is missing one more leader, my guess would be a veteran safety. I remember when Kuechly used to bust players chops for being out of position and literally move players where they are supposed to be... that's missing right now.

3. As much as this board wants to rip and blame Rhule, judging by those pressers we are alone. Not a single player said anything agaisnt Rhule, and matter of fact basically repeated everything he has said in his own pressers. That means they are bought into him as a leader of this team. As was said in the presser "Rhule isnt the one out there blowing coverages or holding players" 

4. We have to stop being knuckleheads with our penalties. It sounds like our oline coach is going to be in some hot water moving forward. Our o-line is responsible for most of our penalties, and they are bonehead penalties. I'd expect an offensive trench overhaul this off season.  Which we are all hoping for anyways. These guys practice this stuff 100s of times per week, but seem to get it wrong on Sundays... this falls on the positional coach and the player himself. 

5. Rhule didnt throw anyone under the bus like most keep saying here. He said it all starts with the leaders on this team, including himself.  That's 100% accurate. We have a young team and players who have 10x the amount of reps they have. They need to step up and whip this kids into shape and drive focus on the execution. Rhule said they knew the plays the WFT were calling and Snow was calling the plays to stop it, but our players were out of position or missing gap assignments. Either Snow's defensive is way too complex (I doubt it) or we need to have someone back there putting people in their place.

6. Lastly, sounds like Donte blamed other people during the game instead of taking on ownership of his mistakes. He admitted to this lightly, and stated that there were 2-3 plays that he fuged up. He humbled up and said he will be better. I dont think Donte is with us next year, sounds like the "me first" mentality still exists in his head. (ie 2018)

TL DR:  Rhule isnt the problem. Brady gone. We need one more defensive veteran/leader. Donte wasn't the leader he was supposed to be on Sunday. 

sorry 

I appreciate your thoughts and taking the time to put this together 

But 

The buck stops with the head coach.

the $65 million head coach. period 

His staff. His players 

his team.  His record 

his process   his system

would people liking this post on this board have this sentiment if it where Ron or John Fox 

6 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

sorry 

I appreciate your thoughts and taking the time to put this together 

But 

The buck stops with the head coach.

the $65 million head coach. period 

His staff. His players 

his team.  His record 

his process   his system

would people liking this post on this board have this sentiment if it where Ron or John Fox 

It can be C : All of the above.