• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

• panthers-redskins-1.jpg

So, are we competing or rebuilding?

jackson113

We're a team with a coach who is fighting for his job and all the desperation that entails. 

We have the players to say we've rebuilt, we just don't have the coaching to assemble them into something good. We have the players to compete, but we have an identity best suited to beating Rutgers or Vanderbilt in the Duke's Mayo Bowl.

We aren't competing this year, not anymore. In all honesty, if it weren't for Cam coming back, I think the team would have already quit on the coach. Not sure they haven't. If not, then even he can't pump them up for much longer.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

27 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

By the time they get all the pieces together and on the same page the season will be over.  That said, I think the CJ Henderson move will pay off even though it was frustrating short term.  Bringing in Gilmore was a no brainer, and bringing Cam back was the right move. 

Even missing the playoffs with Cam tells me he's coming back next year.  It's a head start to know the offense. 

So bring back Cam, and Gilmore.  Sign OL and DT.  Let DJax walk.  Get Horne back.  Sign TE and we're looking pretty good for next year.

Coaching.

6 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

We are playing him out of position this year, and it has led to him being out of position on plays. Chinn is more of a SS/LB than he is the FS we are trying to make him to be. My only concern is that the TD WFT scored before the half .... was on Chinn. He was supposed to be in the middle third, but instead was in the middle second. 

We need to get a veteran safety who can see it all and put people in the right position. Unless Chinn can become that guy (probably a next year task) then we need to grab someone. Chinn plays best when he is running sideline to sideline, not deep third to LOS.

Also, I firmly believe Chinn is a stud and will be a star in this league, the new position has just impacted his play/potential this year.

Yep, I agree with you on all counts.  I think Chinn needs to be closer to the LOS where he can impact the game more often.  I don't like the idea of moving him after he showed us last year what a dynamic player he could be right where we were using him.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

We are playing him out of position this year, and it has led to him being out of position on plays. Chinn is more of a SS/LB than he is the FS we are trying to make him to be. My only concern is that the TD WFT scored before the half .... was on Chinn. He was supposed to be in the middle third, but instead was in the middle second. 

We need to get a veteran safety who can see it all and put people in the right position. Unless Chinn can become that guy (probably a next year task) then we need to grab someone. Chinn plays best when he is running sideline to sideline, not deep third to LOS.

Also, I firmly believe Chinn is a stud and will be a star in this league, the new position has just impacted his play/potential this year.

This. He should be a LB. His instincts are off the chain. At LB he could be on it faster. Stop plays.

19 minutes ago, BrianS said:

I'm interested in how you see Chinn.  Dude is a hitter, we know that from last year.  He's been invisible this year, which I don't like at all.  Not sure how the DROY (He was!) becomes invisible in one offseason, but something is wrong with how we are using him.

He has not been invisible at all lol. You want your DBs to be quiet, he is not allowing anything in coverage compared to last season where he struggled. A lot of times when you hear a DBs name called in a game it is because they allowed a big play or TD. 

3 minutes ago, BlackPanther21_ said:

He has not been invisible at all lol. You want your DBs to be quiet, he is not allowing anything in coverage compared to last season where he struggled. A lot of times when you hear a DBs name called in a game it is because they allowed a big play or TD. 

I agree with you on a DB being invisible being a good thing. It is worth pointing out that Chinn has been out of position quite a bit this year. There are 3 TDs that come to mind that were Chinn's assignment. I think Chinn has the IQ of a LBer not a true safety. I think he has trouble understanding where he is on the field, as in what space. Last year, he really only had to focus on a few things:

1. Follow the TE
2. Middle seconds
3. RB
4. Spy/Contain
5. Blitz

This year, we added about 10 more tasks to the list. It takes time to learn that. Not many rookies come into the league as a dominant safety, and this is basically his rookie year at the role.

• Pie 4

This team is primarily building for the future. However, the team is/was in a position to have a shot at a playoff run this season so they made some near-term plays. None of Gilmore, Reddick, Cam, etc. prevent the team from building in the long term. Darnold and CJ were long-term moves.

Edited by Evil Hurney
  • Pie 1

I wish people would stop using the word rebuild. 
In the NFL a coach is given. at most, one season to “rebuild” and then is expected in year 2 to compete or at least seem like he team will compete in year 3 because he improve in year 2. 
That’s hasn’t been the case this year. Instead it feels like this team is stuck in mud and spinning it’s wheels. 
In 2012, Rivera was going to be fired before he had that winning streak in December that saved his job for that year. That is in Rivera’s second season. 
This isn’t college. Despite his contract Rhule doesn’t have 7 years. Fans and Tepper don’t have the patience for 7 years. Unless Rhule finishes 2021 strong and the Panthers are competitors in 2022 he’ll be on the way out. 
The rebuild is over. It ended in 2020. What we have right now is Rhules team. For better or worse. 
He needs to perform or he is out the door. 

• Pie 2

It's not binary. You don't have to be either competing or rebuilding. It's almost a fake it until you make it kind of thing. They're trying to compete while rebuilding their roster. We're a few players away and then there won't be any excuses other than coaching. 

I still believe Rhule will get this team rolling in 2022. If Cam continues his return to form, then the QB issue is settled and we can take all of the draft picks and future picks we were going to throw at Houston and use them to go out and draft/trade for young, elite offensive linemen and a safety. If Rhule can't win after that then yes, he should be gone. 

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, Panther'sBigD said:

It's not binary. You don't have to be either competing or rebuilding. It's almost a fake it until you make it kind of thing. They're trying to compete while rebuilding their roster. We're a few players away and then there won't be any excuses other than coaching. 

I still believe Rhule will get this team rolling in 2022. If Cam continues his return to form, then the QB issue is settled and we can take all of the draft picks and future picks we were going to throw at Houston and use them to go out and draft/trade for young, elite offensive linemen and a safety. If Rhule can't win after that then yes, he should be gone. 

I'm a cis gen lady fugger