• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The don't expect 2015 Cam argument

micnificent28

1 minute ago, Catsfan69 said:

Brady doesn't need the full skillset Cam has he has over 600 passing TDs.

You're missing the point.

Cam is a far better passer now than he has been at any point in his career regardless of his loss of overall velocity and depth.  People tend to look at Cam as the player he used to be instead of looking at the player he is now.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

6 hours ago, BrianS said:

I think you went off the rails a bit there at the end.  I agree that QB's who rely heavily on their running haven't tended to be the most successful.  On the flip side, I think you are discounting the strides Cam has made as a passer.

Take a look at recent history.  Cam has become quite a good passer.  In the past he relied on the cannon arm he had, it allowed him to do things very few QB's have ever been able to do.  That's gone, but he's adjusted.  I think he's a better passer now than he's ever been in his career and his stats back it up.  His touch and accuracy are way, way better.

No, he's probably not ever going to be the passer Tom Brady is.  But Brady will never have the full skill set that Cam has either.  Cam is now good enough as a passer that you probably don't want to let him try to beat you from the pocket, because he can do that.

When we signed Cam, we didn't need MVP level quarterback play.  We needed competent professional quarterback play which we weren't getting with Darnold. The idea being that even average QB play, paired with our top rated defense, we could win alot of games. 

But it almost feels like when Cam clocked in, the defense clocked out.

He's looked solid, but he can't win shoot outs or at least he's regressed back to he has to prove it status.   Since 2016 when he was the starting QB any time an opponent has scored at least 21,  he is  12-21. I looked this up since my buddy said that if anyone scores 21 or more, we would lose.  Well, he actually said 24...that makes the record worse but I looked up 21 instead.  Feel free to fact check that I didn't try really hard when I looked it up and could have miscounted, but that's pretty much what I saw. Since 2016  he has faced a team scoring 21 points 33 times.  He won 12 of them.(including playoff loss to Saints) 21 is a pretty basic number in the NFL, and over the last 19  games he's only won 1 game when opponent scored 21 or more.

I hope this new and seemingly more patient Cam can buck that trend.  21 points is not too much to ask for an NFL offense. Especially with the skill players we have.

4 hours ago, TbTeRRoR said:

He's looked solid, but he can't win shoot outs or at least he's regressed back to he has to prove it status.   Since 2016 when he was the starting QB any time an opponent has scored at least 21,  he is  12-21. I looked this up since my buddy said that if anyone scores 21 or more, we would lose.  Well, he actually said 24...that makes the record worse but I looked up 21 instead.  Feel free to fact check that I didn't try really hard when I looked it up and could have miscounted, but that's pretty much what I saw. Since 2016  he has faced a team scoring 21 points 33 times.  He won 12 of them.(including playoff loss to Saints) 21 is a pretty basic number in the NFL, and over the last 19  games he's only won 1 game when opponent scored 21 or more.

I hope this new and seemingly more patient Cam can buck that trend.  21 points is not too much to ask for an NFL offense. Especially with the skill players we have.

I’m sure it’s the same for most quarterbacks.

• Pie 1

On 11/25/2021 at 6:06 PM, Castavar said:

This.

Should have been the plan all along. We could have Justin Fields learning behind Cam right now to make a smooth transition in like 3 years.

If only Justin Herbert fell to us.

On 11/25/2021 at 6:12 PM, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

Exactly. Fields skill set is similar to Cam’s so he would have been a perfect apprentice 

Cam was fields mentor growing up through high school in Atlanta. Cam is the reason Fields wears #1. Would have all made too much sense 

• Pie 2

Cam had the ability at one time to carry the team with his running skills................and some down field passing and he did this when the Panthers had a better offensive line than today. 

His running skills of his youth and the willingness to take the abuse of hits he took over that time are in the past or else he will end up IR and retired again......

So what you have is a Cam who will need to be a more precise pocket passer, read defenses and hit check down point along with being an overall game manager........none of which he built his reputation on or was known for....

It is far too early to make a call on that for now.........but it will remain to be seen if he does that. 

What I saw out of the Wash game is that he still has some ability but his cross route passing timing is off (will that come in time or is it just an area that was never his primary focus/skill set) and he will go down rather than take a hit more often and much sooner than in the past.

Right now he gives the Panthers their best option in winning a game but that isn't saying much not because of Cam himself as much as the whole team and coaching staff isn't playoff caliber........

I honestly believe a Brady or Rogers behind center on this team doesn't do much winning at this point.......in fact both might end up on IR this year if they played behind this oline. 

But getting back to the Cam deal................Try a thought experiment here.......imagine if last week Cam played for Wash and Taylor played for the Panthers..............who wins then?

It could be a bit unnerving to think that switch would have changed who won if you are a Panthers fan........

I say have fun watching Cam play but if nothing happens the rest of this season or beyond if Cam is around next year don't be surprised.........In my opinion, the only way this team gets anywhere is if they develop a top oline and get a short yardage power running back to compliment the QB effort........our line sucks right now and CMC is not your answer........he'll only end up on IR again if you play him up to middle too much. CMC is closer to a Steve Smith type of player than a Jerome Bettis and needs to be used that way. 

Edited by PghPanther

15 hours ago, TbTeRRoR said:

Depends on how the team is built. You would be hard pressed to put up 21 on say the ravens of the  Ray Lewis ed reed era or even when Luke, davis so on Panthers of 15. We are a Defensive built team we put most of our picks the last few years into the defense designed to not let teams score over 21. If they do its easy to see a loss we werent built to shoot out with Mahomes or even the Falcons at their peak. The opposite we are the counter punch. That isnt to say oh cam cant win games where hes 12-12 when they score 21 we werent made to do that. Not to mention wins and losses arent a qb stat. you could score 43 and the defense gives up 45 is that cams fault? 53 people on a team and defense has to do their part.