• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dan Graziano on possible Panthers options on Sam Darnold's contract

TheSpecialJuan

-   Sam Darnold is under contract at a fully guaranteed $18.858 next season 

-   The team could consider something similar to what the Saints did with Tysom Hill 

-   Panthers could convert $17.823 of Darnold's salary into a signing bonus and then add dummy years to the contract to spread the cap hit out over 5 years 

-   This would drop Darnold's cap hit in 2022 to about $4.6

-   It would create dead-money charge of about $14.26 on their 2023 cap

Edited by TheSpecialJuan
  • Beer 5
  • The D 2

16 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We have a lot of cap space next year. Just rip the band-aid off and eat it.

I typically agree but given the size, I think it depends on how the team finishes the year. If they turn it on and progress then it may be advantageous to have a big chunk of that available next season. If they suck and backslide, making Rhule's seat hot, then perhaps you take the hit to be completely clear for 2023 in case Rhule falls flat on his face in year 3 and is replaced.

• Pie 2

Def not a popular opinion but I’d rather trade a pick and Sam just to get him off the books.

Although cam is 32, I think he still has enough in the tank for 3 good seasons of football and with what he’s getting paid, we can use those resources on the o line or elsewhere to put us in contention for the next couple season why we try and find cam’s replacement.

• Pie 1

No more fuging dead money. 

I rather just have him be an expensive back up next season. Cam’s market wont command some 30+ million dollar contract so between Cam and Sam their contracts would be the equivalent to one high end QBs cap hit.

This is Rhules mess and he needs to eat it. I don’t want the cam kicked down the road and have a possible new head coach have to deal with his mess when he comes in. 

I’m sure Rhule was thrilled to have to deal with Hurney and Ron’s mess when he was hired.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep, 2 options. 

1. Try to find a taker for him even if we have to give up a mid round pick (unlikely)

2. Cut our losses and release him

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

35 m with most likely cam, Gilmore and Reddick and drafts picks that basically disappears and then some, course other moves can be made…and they will have to be, Shaq really needs a restructure big time 

If we can spread out sam’s cap with dummy years, over maybe just 2 years that would help

We don’t have as much cap as people think, and when we eventually do, lots of contracts coming up but I suppose it seems like a ton after Hurney

Edited by onmyown
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, KSpan said:

I typically agree but given the size, I think it depends on how the team finishes the year. If they turn it on and progress then it may be advantageous to have a big chunk of that available next season. If they suck and backslide, making Rhule's seat hot, then perhaps you take the hit to be completely clear for 2023 in case Rhule falls flat on his face in year 3 and is replaced.

While I agree and I want to see how cam plays out the rest of the season, if cam is the guy we need a good backup.  Not a knock on cam. But he hasn't played a full season since 2017 (last year he was out a few games with covid).  Even if he plays well down the stretch, its hard to be fully confident in cam playing a full 17 next year so some resources will also have to be put into the backup qb position.

1 hour ago, Eazy-E said:

This Rhules mess and he needs to eat it. I don’t want the cam kicked down the road and have a possible new head coach have to deal with his mess when he comes in.

Look we have already put Cam through enough...let's don't kick him down the road too. 

He is playing behind this offensive O-line.