• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dan Graziano on possible Panthers options on Sam Darnold's contract

TheSpecialJuan

6 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Yeah Sam didn't get the 5th year til during the draft so draft picks+Darnold's 5th year option wiped out like $25mil in one weekend if you're going by having $60mil last March or whenever the league resets

Damn well that sucks. At that point we were projected to have the second most cap space in the league. Now we’re middle of the pack.

Looks like my dream of getting Terron Armstead and finally putting the can he play LT memes to rest is just that again, a dream.

Well hopefully Christiansen continues to get starts at LT and progresses into a viable starting option for next season.

Edit: Well fug me I guess. Just read in another thread that Daley is getting the start at LT over Brady C. Wtf is Rhule doing man.

Edited by Eazy-E
  • Beer 4

9 hours ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Even "stand up dudes" have the no-more-shatting-upon-moi threshold...

Pretty sure it was you who said this exact nonsense when Teddy's contract was being discussed and lo and behold, Teddy agreed to a major restructure for less money because he stood to gain in the big picture. Sam doesn't even have to give up any money in this scenario like Teddy did.

It's all speculation at this point anyway. There are a lot of different possibilities that certainly include Sam still being around next year, and this thread is just one of them.

How about a creative way to get out of Rhule's contract?

Sam's is another year of expense with nothing to show for it. Rhule's will be many years with potentially even less to show.

Listen, if Rhule can't turn this around and show some real progress before the end of this season, then having an overpriced, skittish, back-up QB on the payroll will be the least of the franchise's problems.

• Flames 1

9 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Sam's is another year of expense with nothing to show for it. Rhule's will be many years with potentially even less to show.

Listen, if Rhule can't turn this around and show some real progress before the end of this season, then having an overpriced, skittish, back-up QB on the payroll will be the least of the franchise's problems.

MR's contract is easy to work around, thank goodness.

Sam's is a tough one.  I still don't understand us giving him that 5th year, but whatever, I "get" the move.

June 1 cut, spread the 18M over two seasons, move on and hope your coach and GM learned a lesson.

Rhule is likely on the hot seat already, didn't think I'd be saying that already.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

11 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

MR's contract is easy to work around, thank goodness.

Sam's is a tough one.  I still don't understand us giving him that 5th year, but whatever, I "get" the move.

June 1 cut, spread the 18M over two seasons, move on and hope your coach and GM learned a lesson.

Rhule is likely on the hot seat already, didn't think I'd be saying that already.

Unfortunately you can only spread bonus money. Guaranteed salary can’t be. Sam would have to agree to a restructuring, which is what the OP suggested. 

Picking up the option was honestly sheer idiocy. Hell, the trade was too but the option pickup was doubling down on a bad hand. Okay, you like Darnold's talent level and want to give him a shot. Okay... *fighting urge to puke* make the trade and kick the tires. But whatever you do, DON'T sink any future guaranteed money into him until we actually have a chance to work with him and see him play.

Meanwhile, Rhule and Fitts be like nah we're smarter than all the rest of these amateurs...

• Flames 1

9 minutes ago, Smittymoose said:

Darnold + pick for Garoppolo. Niners were interested in Darnold during the offseason, they will need a backup for Lance, save $6-7M on Jimmy G’s cap number and get a pick out of a guy they might otherwise have to cut. 

Why would they want “dead weight” when they can save 24M by just cutting him? 

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, Eazy-E said:

Damn well that sucks. At that point we were projected to have the second most cap space in the league. Now we’re middle of the pack.

Looks like my dream of getting Terron Armstead and finally putting the can he play LT memes to rest is just that again, a dream.

Well hopefully Christiansen continues to get starts at LT and progresses into a viable starting option for next season.

Edit: Well fug me I guess. Just read in another thread that Daley is getting the start at LT over Brady C. Wtf is Rhule doing man.

Armstead, or a player like him became an extension to Robbie Anderson. 

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Picking up the option was honestly sheer idiocy. Hell, the trade was too but the option pickup was doubling down on a bad hand. Okay, you like Darnold's talent level and want to give him a shot. Okay... *fighting urge to puke* make the trade and kick the tires. But whatever you do, DON'T sink any future guaranteed money into him until we actually have a chance to work with him and see him play.

Meanwhile, Rhule and Fitts be like nah we're smarter than all the rest of these amateurs...

It’s literally as bad a move as I’ve ever seen a team make in the salary cap era. 

• Beer 1

55 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

It doesn’t have to be creative. Teppers rich ass can just tell him to kick rocks and pay him what he owes him, it has no bearing on the team or the cap. However, Matt is not going anywhere at least until after next season. Like it or not, we are a young, improving team….last year was better than the year before, and this year is objectively better than last. Next year we should be real players in the NFC. 

Spotrac currently has us at 30M available for 2022

Spotrac

A lot of the new contracts kick in next year including these monster cap hits :

• Taylor Moton    RT    $19,200,000 
  • Sam Darnold    QB    $18,858,000 
  • Shaq Thompson    OLB    $18,263,333 
  • Robby Anderson    WR    $16,836,666 
  • Christian McCaffrey    RB    $14,309,500 
  • D.J. Moore    WR    $11,116,000 

Also we had some "kick the can down the road" deals that helped us with previous salary cap problems.  Those include void years for

• Matt Paradis (UFA)  -  8.2M cap hit
  • Haason Reddick (UFA)  -  4M cap hit

I don't quite understand how those void years create so much cap dollars but I truly loathe the whole concept of setting up designed payments to guys who will not be on your roster.  

• Beer 3