• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

5 plays analyzed from WFT game worth the watch

raleigh-panther

Video: 5 key plays from Panthers vs. Washington and what it means for Week 12 
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article256131722.html

very interesting comments   Here are the three troubling ones 

1 about Cam  favoring the middle of the field for throws and first look and my comment,  even on the 19 yarder to Tremble, the ball is thrown in a direct line.  Williams noted that defenses will start sitting in the over the middle routes  to challenge Newton to throw to either side. 

2  the defensive setup causing the success of the runs   Washington getting to second level without being challenged…at all … by the dline…line getting pushed out of gaps with little effort and almost automatically at the second level. Ellis’s commented the season is over if the Panthers can’t correct this  

3  linebackers   Drops not deep enough  Carter getting caught in no man‘s land

4  Riddick over pursuing on the 4th and 3: losing contain, and Jackson’s lack of effort 

anyway, figured this might be insightful today 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 3

Thanks for the post and video.
I am glad to see the breakdown on how Washington was getting to the second level as it confirms what we were seeing in real time during the game. 

I am not as concerned with Cam as it is true that he had only been with the team for ten days. However, I do agree that they need to work on getting more throws to outside of the numbers.

Edited by Monrowed
  • Pie 3

The defense is going to have to figure out how to get pressure while still maintaining their run integrity. Play a 5-2-4 and bring Chinn closer to the box for starters.

The offense is still a work in progress. Hard to decide what Cam cant or can do until we at least install the whole offense.

Edited by panthers55
  • Pie 4

1 hour ago, raleigh-panther said:

Video: 5 key plays from Panthers vs. Washington and what it means for Week 12 
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article256131722.html

The run play was a combination of scheme and personnel. 

Burns is basically in a 7 technique standing up with technically the wrong leg back.

Our tackle is playing a 1 technique. Even into the boundary I'm instantly running B gap there. 

Shaq should have this in the back of his head. Especially when they are bringing motion to the boundary.

Burns is too wide and too weak Especially from a standing position to set a hard edge and not allow B gap to widen.

1 technique squeezes B from the inside out which is good but he over does it/ gets ridden and winds up in c gap. You don’t squeeze more than 1.5 gaps. If he squats his ass and holds or even just falls down the play holds better.

Shaq kinda takes on the guard but Carter does a very bad job of scraping from the backside.

If Burns had been in a 5 technique with his hand down( he's too small to play with high pad level) and if the DT doesn't over squeeze the LBs probably stop them for no gain.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

The DTs are not playing up to what this scheme needs. With Riddick & Burns used as standup DEs, the DTs need to push 3 freaking guys backwards. I'm just not seeing any push or penetration. It's either get better play or add another guy upfront.

Chinn should just be moved to Carter's spot, we have enough DBs to play at this time and he would not be sitting with his thumb up his butt like Carter.

Fun watch.

• Pie 4

1 hour ago, NAS said:

Cam favoring middle may have to do with not being confident in his arm to make the outside throws.

That was sadly my thought too

i did watch NE last year when they were t conflicting with the Panthers

NE was a dumpster fire last year with free agency losses, salary cap issues and many sitting out because of Covid but it seems to me he favored the middle then too 

probably need to see complied graphic of yardage and points on field to draw any conclusions but you know if an analyst from the ‘observer’ saw it, nfl coaches  will too

Edited by raleigh-panther

2 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

That was sadly my thought too

i did watch NE last year when they were t conflicting with the Panthers

NE was a dumpster fire last year with free agency losses, salary cap issues and many sitting out because of Covid but it seems to me he favored the middle then too 

probably need to see complied graphic of yardage and points on field to draw any conclusions but you know if an analyst from the ‘observer’ saw it, nfl coaches  will too

His passer rating was highest to his right, then middle, but doesn't quite tell us what he favors since there are other factors involved.

qb-grid-chart_NEW693984_2020-REG-all_1609781067689.jpeg

• Pie 2

With regards to Cam maybe favoring some part of the field... I'm not worried... Worth noting mid way thru last season new England sports media picked up on the cam can't throw to the left fears we had before his release. There was a nice breakdown of that done by FTW at the time: https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/new-england-patriots-offense-cam-newton-throwing-right-side-injury at least as a patriot Cam seemed to have the ability to throw all over the field but would go thru stretches of neglecting a side, maybe because he had dog poo at receiver there?