• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

5 plays analyzed from WFT game worth the watch

raleigh-panther

1 hour ago, OneBadCat said:

Cam was throwing out routes all game. If he  doubted his arm strength he wouldn’t be attempting those throws either.

Thanks for the reply 

I will try and paraphrase again  I do not feel I worded it properly  so I restate below below or you can listen to the last 15 seconds of the video 

What the narrator said was .’ Cams eyes were in the middle of the field too much, not even seeing the outside receivers (sic) ‘ 

He said it could be just not being comfortable in the new offense could be the issues. but he had to fix the tendency or opposing teams would be sitting on those routes 

Time will tell on Cam’s shoulder. I love him so I’ll take him at whatever percentage he is 

Edited by raleigh-panther
  • Pie 1

5 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Thanks for the reply 

I will try and paraphrase again  I do not feel I worded it properly  so I restate below below or you can listen to the last 15 seconds of the video 

What the narrator said was .’ Cams eyes were in the middle of the field too much, not even seeing the outside receivers (sic) ‘ 

He said it could be just not being comfortable in the new offense could be the issues. but he had to fix the tendency or opposing teams would be sitting on those routes 

Time will tell on Cam’s shoulder. I love him so I’ll take him at whatever percentage he is 

It could also be the read order of the play. Zylstra was open-ish and there may have been hesitation because of how tight the window would be, then the decision to take off. You don't usually skip your first read if that is open.

Really, really hard to say what happened here though, and why the ball didn't go out. He had 3 guys open at different points. Did he look to Ian first? I can't tell if he ever looked that far. If so, he didn't give the play enough time to develop, because he was the most open target of the 3 open receivers. Moore was also open and could have been thrown open even more, but Moore was likely the last read and he never got that far.

• Pie 2

8 hours ago, hepcat said:

Defensive gap integrity is one of the biggest issues on the defense. Snow’s college formations use these stunts and tricks to fill gaps. If you can’t beat your man one on one and the opponents just body guys up one on one it’s a disaster for run defense

Which is why our pass D is stellar and our run D is middle of the pack. 

5 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

Thanks for the reply 

I have a very big feeling that every passing play they did was 1 read last week. How could it be anything else with the tiny amount of time Cam has had in this system? And it’s not like any of his other systems really compare to what we run now. 

That being said, what DO we run now? Is our O considered a WCO?

• Poo 1

2 hours ago, joemac said:

I have a very big feeling that every passing play they did was 1 read last week. How could it be anything else with the tiny amount of time Cam has had in this system?

Did you watch the game? You should go watch the highlights, even just the first 3 minutes. I mean, I get you have a feeling, but prolly should use your eyes instead.

Edited by Luciu5

20 hours ago, NAS said:

Cam favoring middle may have to do with not being confident in his arm to make the outside throws.

I have always thought pre injury that Cam loved going over the middle with ball. That is where Olsen ate his dinner. The thing is we don't  have a TE close to Olsen skill set. I don't believe Cam has a problem due to his arm. It's just what he has always been confident in doing. As timing gets better I believe you see more throws to different routes.

• Pie 2

22 hours ago, Waldo said:

The DTs are not playing up to what this scheme needs. With Riddick & Burns used as standup DEs, the DTs need to push 3 freaking guys backwards. I'm just not seeing any push or penetration. It's either get better play or add another guy upfront.

Chinn should just be moved to Carter's spot, we have enough DBs to play at this time and he would not be sitting with his thumb up his butt like Carter.

Fun watch.

Our big guys on the line don't seem very strong. 

Fox has the technique but he might be a bit undersized for a DE in a 3-4, or 5-2 as we seem to do it.

There's some scheme issues here and the more I watch, the more I keep coming back to the idea that there's a reason the 4-3 defense has ruled the game for three or more decades now.

• Beer 1

7 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

I know someone posted a bunch of clips of Washington just running outside zone. Burns and the rest of the edge guys were getting targeted.

If you notice a lot of that is Burns.

Laymen often say D lineman aren't getting  Penetration but the reality is often penetration at higher levels of football is a gamble and typically is a gamble that's schemed for because of the risk.

If you notice Burns gets way upheld. Well if you don't get home and the offensive player delivers a good punch and gets his hands on you it now creates a huge alley for the back to run thru.

I wish I had a way to illustrate this. It would be fun.

But generally in the front 4 at high levels you want to work flat down the line of scrimmage not more than a yard deep into in backfield unless you are damn sure you can get home.

Playside you don't want to pursue more than 1.5 gaps because doing so creates a cutback lane and now the LBs that were scraping over the top of you to fit will be out of position. 

Backside you work 2.5 gaps in pursuit flat down the line before taking a pursuit angle again to hold on a cutback or some type of  counter/misdirection. 

I said it when we drafted him Burns is a liability against the run. He doesn't have the ability to fight across a man's face and play two gaps. Plus his desire to get up field hurts vs run.

Now I'm not in the meeting rooms. I don't know if there was a jet call. Or some check made on some of these plays. I'm just speaking in generalities. 

Burns is also guessing on a play or two.

He's not reading the head of the blocker and fighting across the face.

If you can't do that squat your ass and anchor in place. Don't pick a side guessing you do their job for them that way.

Dammit I am late for some booty now you guys sucked me into this. I'm fixing lunch for her too. Lol I just blew 30 minutes.

14 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

Burns is also guessing on a play or two.

He's not reading the head of the blocker and fighting across the face.

If you can't do that squat your ass and anchor in place. Don't pick a side guessing you do their job for them that way.

Dammit I am late for some booty now you guys sucked me into this. I'm fixing lunch for her too. Lol I just blew 30 minutes.

Posts before hoes!

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

Our big guys on the line don't seem very strong. 

Fox has the technique but he might be a bit undersized for a DE in a 3-4, or 5-2 as we seem to do it.

There's some scheme issues here and the more I watch, the more I keep coming back to the idea that there's a reason the 4-3 defense has ruled the game for three or more decades now.

In our 3-4 we only use 2 Dlineman it's a 2-4-5 in those looks. They look to need another DT/4-3 DE on the field at all times. That or always have bad matches constantly.

Both lines look weak. Weaker than last year. I'm not happy with a lot of this staff right now, not just the coaches. So much underperforming at all levels.

• Pie 1

Everyone is getting caught up talking about Burns and our "tweener ends" but that is getting a bit overplayed.

Watch the first play from the video that Gooby posted in slow motion.  Reddick is the strong side end, the play goes away from him so it wouldn't have matter if he was any bigger.

Weakside end is actually Haynes, not Burns.  Your DTs are Brown and Roy, 320lbs and 330lbs.  

Everyone sees Haynes get kicked out of the play but honestly that is expected and would happen to most DEs that are outside aligned on the LT. 

So this idea that bigger DE's will magically fix that play is wrong.

Watch the play in slow motion and watch what happens to both DTs.  Roy can't get off of his block and Brown ends up going underneath the play and leaves the cutback.

4 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Everyone is getting caught up talking about Burns and our "tweener ends" but that is getting a bit overplayed.

Watch the first play from the video that Gooby posted in slow motion.  Reddick is the strong side end, the play goes away from him so it wouldn't have matter if he was any bigger.

Weakside end is actually Haynes, not Burns.  Your DTs are Brown and Roy, 320lbs and 330lbs.  

Everyone sees Haynes get kicked out of the play but honestly that is expected and would happen to most DEs that are outside aligned on the LT. 

So this idea that bigger DE's will magically fix that play is wrong.

Watch the play in slow motion and watch what happens to both DTs.  Roy can't get off of his block and Brown ends up going underneath the play and leaves the cutback.

Name the play and I'll explain it to you later.