• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Quick note, re: coaching

Mr. Scot

Just now, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

I like Eberfleus but this board will riot if we pick a defensive guy.

Probably. I confess I'm not that high on the idea myself (nothing against Eberflus).

We thought we were getting an offensive minded coach when we got Rhule, but I don't know if that's really true.

To be perfectly honest, it feels like what we ultimately got was another coach in the mold of John Fox and Ron Rivera.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

Defensive coaches are fine if they bring in someone who can run the offense effectively. Preferably someone old enough that they're not poached for a HC job after a little success.

Eberflus was on a Cowboys staff that included Jason Garrett and Scott Linehan with Tony Romo and, oddly enough, Kellen Moore playing quarterback.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Probably. I confess I'm not that high on the idea myself (nothing against Eberflus).

We thought we were getting an offensive minded coach when we got Rhule, but I don't know if that's really true.

To be perfectly honest, it feels like what we ultimately got was another coach in the mold of John Fox and Ron Rivera.

Not just in the same mold, but moldier. He's a much worse HC than both of them imo. Both of them had signature wins by year 2. Rhules best win is looking like beating the Cardinals backups.

Edited by Sean Payton's Vicodin

16 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Well yeah his first nfl draft was all defense. We somehow managed to circle back to the same thing but with way less experience. Even the nepotism with his coaching hires and stashing of Baylor and Temple players is Riveraesque.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Rhule definitely has a preference for hiring people he's worked with previously. Still feels like if he goes to replace Brady, it'll be somebody from within (like Sean Ryan or Jeff Nixon) unless he's actually forced to look outside. If that happens, it might be more likely we get people with connections to guys like Scott Fitterer, Dan Morgan and Pat Stewart.

Ken Dorsey would likely have the Dan Morgan endorsement. His coming back here would be ironic too (especially if Newton were retained). He'd also be a potential OC candidate under Brian Daboll.

Kafka is a popular name right now. I read he's actually not under contract next year so he could be an option. Oddly enough, he's also got a minor connection to Daboll tracing back to the 2013 offseason.

The most obvious names with connections to Fitterer would be former Seahawks OC Brian Schottenheimer land current Seahawks passing game coordinator Dave Canales. Schottenheimer has some history but depending on who you talk to, he's not always the most popular guy.

My favorite option here though is a former colleague of Player Personnel VP Pat Stewart who also happens to have a lot of familiarity with West Coast type offensive systems.

Specifically, Doug Pederson.

Pederson actually makes sense in a lot of ways. When a process isn't working you usually want to try something different the next time.  Pederson not only has the NFL experience but actually has the experience of being in that job.

Guys like Dorsey and Kafka have NFL experience but they would be moving into a job title they have never done at the NFL level.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If you have to force your head coach's hand on his staff selections, you have the wrong head coach.

and he might when it is all said it done.  He has been very quick to move on from players, lets see what he does.  Rhule isn't the only person who liked Brady, he was a somewhat hot commodity after LSU.  

Even if Rhule does make the decision on his own I do hope Tepper highly "recommends" they get some nfl experience on the staff.

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

Pederson actually makes sense in a lot of ways. When a process isn't working you usually want to try something different the next time.  Pederson not only has the NFL experience but actually has the experience of being in that job.

Guys like Dorsey and Kafka have NFL experience but they would be moving into a job title they have never done at the NFL level.

I love the practice of hiring former head coaches as coordinators.

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

The more I've read about Rhule and Snow's relationship, the more I think Phil Snow is the major influence on how the team is run. 

8 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yep. Rhule's college teams were always defensive driven.