• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why not Doug Pederson?

ENCPantherfan2

Just now, frankw said:

It should have been common sense to have some actual NFL experience on this coaching staff. We know you enjoy being the resident contrarian here but surely even you should be able to agree on this.

Funny thing is I recall Rhule saying he wanted to have someone with high level NFL experience on his staff.

Then he proceeded to basically hire all but a few of his Baylor cohorts.

Just now, BurnNChinn said:

I want Daboll but he will probably get a HC job this year. No to anymore damn defensive mind coaches, the nfl is not a defense driven league anymore with all the damn penalties they throw for no reason.

If we fire Rhule this year I think we have an excellent shot at getting Daboll. If not, I expect he gets a job elsewhere.

Mind you, he's not my favorite choice (Nathaniel Hackett) but he's got enough connections to build a pretty solid staff.

And yeah I'd expect he's gotta be better than Rhule 😕

12 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

If we fire Rhule this year I think we have an excellent shot at getting Daboll. If not, I expect he gets a job elsewhere.

Mind you, he's not my favorite choice (Nathaniel Hackett) but he's got enough connections to build a pretty solid staff.

And yeah I'd expect he's gotta be better than Rhule 😕

Don’t know much about Hackett I just want an offensive minded coach.

14 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

Don’t know much about Hackett I just want an offensive minded coach.

Look him up. You'll find a lot of good material.

His dad was a high level offensive guy who coached in the NFL for 42 years. He basically grew up in the league.

Edited by Mr. Scot

If we’re keeping Rhule I hope we hire some old school NFL guys. Ones that aren’t and won’t be yes men when they see Rhule doing college stuff that simply doesn’t work in the NFL. I think one of the biggest issues on this staff is there’s a lot of yes men/guys who are used to being Rhules subordinate. I feel like Rhule…especially after this season…would likely be open to more experienced knowledge to help lean on.

44 minutes ago, CashNewton22 said:

If we’re keeping Rhule I hope we hire some old school NFL guys. Ones that aren’t and won’t be yes men when they see Rhule doing college stuff that simply doesn’t work in the NFL. I think one of the biggest issues on this staff is there’s a lot of yes men/guys who are used to being Rhules subordinate. I feel like Rhule…especially after this season…would likely be open to more experienced knowledge to help lean on.

Looked at some of the options recently and there genuinely should be guys like that available.

Unless someone dictates who he hires though, I expect anyone he appoints to be one of his guys.

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Funny thing is I recall Rhule saying he wanted to have someone with high level NFL experience on his staff.

Then he proceeded to basically hire all but a few of his Baylor cohorts.

This is factually inaccurate.

There are 18 "on field" coaches on the Panthers staff.  I'm not interested in the assistants, interns, etc.  Just the guys doing the coaching.

On the offensive side of the ball, There are only three guys with ties to Rhule:  Jeff Nixon, Frisman Jackson and Matt Lombardi.

On the defensive side of the ball, there are four guys with ties to Rhule:  Snow, Evan Cooper, Frank Okam and Mike Siravo.

On special teams, you've got Ed Foley.

Of the guys with ties to Rhule:

Jeff Nixon - has more years coaching at the NFL level prior to working with Rhule than he has years working with Rhule

Frisman Jackson - definitely a Rhule hire, but was making his way up the ranks before he ran into Rhule.  A former NFL WR, Jackson already had seven years of coaching experience at progressively larger schools prior to joining Rhule at Temple.  Jackson left Temple and coached WR's for the Titans for a year before re-joining Rhule at Baylor

Matt Lombardi - Was a scout for the Browns before he became a coach.  Spent three years at Louisville before joining Rhule at Baylor, which he then left to become a coach for the Dolphins before re-joining Rhule here.

Phil Snow - No real need to get deep here.

Evan Cooper - This is one of the guys who makes Rhule look like a nepotist.  His only experience as a coach has been with Matt Rhule.  Strangely, a lot of his history is on the personnel side.  Very weird.

Frank Okam - Former NFL player Okam got his start at Rice for three years prior to joining Rhule at Baylor and subsequently following him here.  As a six year NFL veteran, he would at least know what NFL coaching looks like, you'd think.

Mike Siravo - Had a long career as a coach, including some time on the same staff as Rhule, prior to being hired by Rhule at Temple.  Followed him to Baylor, and to Carolina.

Ed Foley - A coach since 1989, long history.  Did not immediately follow Rhule from Temple to Baylor, but did so eventually when the coach who replaced Rhule at Temple left.  He then followed from Baylor to Carolina.

As for the guys he hired that had never been part of his staff, the ONLY ONE without extensive NFL experience was Joe Brady.

4 hours ago, BrianS said:

This is factually inaccurate.

There are 18 "on field" coaches on the Panthers staff.  I'm not interested in the assistants, interns, etc.  Just the guys doing the coaching.

On the offensive side of the ball, There are only three guys with ties to Rhule:  Jeff Nixon, Frisman Jackson and Matt Lombardi.

On the defensive side of the ball, there are four guys with ties to Rhule:  Snow, Evan Cooper, Frank Okam and Mike Siravo.

On special teams, you've got Ed Foley.

Of the guys with ties to Rhule:

Jeff Nixon - has more years coaching at the NFL level prior to working with Rhule than he has years working with Rhule

Frisman Jackson - definitely a Rhule hire, but was making his way up the ranks before he ran into Rhule.  A former NFL WR, Jackson already had seven years of coaching experience at progressively larger schools prior to joining Rhule at Temple.  Jackson left Temple and coached WR's for the Titans for a year before re-joining Rhule at Baylor

Matt Lombardi - Was a scout for the Browns before he became a coach.  Spent three years at Louisville before joining Rhule at Baylor, which he then left to become a coach for the Dolphins before re-joining Rhule here.

Phil Snow - No real need to get deep here.

Evan Cooper - This is one of the guys who makes Rhule look like a nepotist.  His only experience as a coach has been with Matt Rhule.  Strangely, a lot of his history is on the personnel side.  Very weird.

Frank Okam - Former NFL player Okam got his start at Rice for three years prior to joining Rhule at Baylor and subsequently following him here.  As a six year NFL veteran, he would at least know what NFL coaching looks like, you'd think.

Mike Siravo - Had a long career as a coach, including some time on the same staff as Rhule, prior to being hired by Rhule at Temple.  Followed him to Baylor, and to Carolina.

Ed Foley - A coach since 1989, long history.  Did not immediately follow Rhule from Temple to Baylor, but did so eventually when the coach who replaced Rhule at Temple left.  He then followed from Baylor to Carolina.

As for the guys he hired that had never been part of his staff, the ONLY ONE without extensive NFL experience was Joe Brady.

Not quite accurate because you're mostly looking just at the guys who followed him directly from Baylor.

Sean Ryan was on staff alongside Rhule when he was with the Giants. So was Al Holcomb, and he was already here so it was an easy hire.

Kevin Gilbride was on staff with Rhule at Temple rather than Baylor. His dad also coached with Rhule on the Giants staff.

Terrance Knighton didn't coach with Rhule, but he played for him at Temple. Rhule was actually his position coach for a season.

Jason Simmons doesn't have a direct connection with Rhule but he does with Phil Snow. Simmons played for Snow at Arizona State.

Mind you, there actually could have been more but some of his guys chose not to follow him. A few others weren't with him long enough or didn't have enough experience to be qualified.

Those were the positions that ended up with other people. But even one of those, DL Coach Mike Phair, ended up gone a year later in favor of Rhule's Baylor DL Coach Frank Okam.

As to NFL experience, the guys who do have it haven't risen above the level of position coaches.  None of them has been a pro level coordinator that I know of, and definitely no head coaches.

Add to this that Rhule had been able to get a couple of guys added in front office and administrative roles. Pat Stewart is the highest. Evan Cooper, Sean Padden and EJ Barthel were the others but Padden and Barthel have departed since (Padden under some questionable circumstances).

All in all, there are only about five or six guys on the entire staff that aren't connected to Rhule in some way, most of them on offense.

And those are the guys I won't be surprised to become scapegoats for our offensive struggles.

On 12/3/2021 at 8:43 AM, ForJimmy said:

What about Tomlin? 

Even with all his success, Im not a big Tomlin guy. I like the case of him being in the same division as browns&beaguals, good scouts, Great QB, great D(dick lebeau), etc etc. Handed a great team with leaders other than Tomlin being the reason. Would I take him over Rhule? yes. He maybe the only person on earth that was able to control Abrown, he should get waaaaay more credit. I still member him preventing a TD by getting in the way of an kickoff TD. Got one of the best stares and has a no BS sense about him. 

My reasons are weak, cause after barry Switzer was handed the keys to the Blowboys, that team failed fast after that one SB win.....But Jerry Jones is running the show and not the Rooneys. I should place him among the elites cause 14 years and basically won the 2nd amount of games during? If he was a bad coach, no chance would this success lasted that long time. Elite coach for sure. 

10 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Anyone for Bill  O'Brian stripped of GM duties?

Not his biggest fan, but he did have the Texans playing at a high level and Alabama’s offense looks great (though loaded with talent). He definitely embarrassed Kirby’s defense last Saturday… He could make a great OC for a new coach honestly.

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

Not his biggest fan, but he did have the Texans playing at a high level and Alabama’s offense looks great (though loaded with talent). He definitely embarrassed Kirby’s defense last Saturday… He could make a great OC for a new coach honestly.

OC yes, but with whom as the HC?  Bill strikes me as power-hungry and needs to be held in check, otherwise he's is a good-to-great coach. I still think Del Rio would make a good HC.

Del Rio-HC

O'Brien-OC

Retain Snow as DC?

That could work.

Edited by 45catfan