• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Keep Fitterer and Morgan

NAS

16 minutes ago, KSpan said:

I daresay the general pubic is not aware of this. I live in KC and most folks here aren't aware of it, so the attention he would draw as an HC would absolutely bring it to light on a broad scale.

Yes but LOTS of people/fans who follow the NFL are fully aware of all that...as are the teams -- again, old news.

Also, E.B. continues to get interviews from teams despite that info...there's something else out there.

6 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

He's overpaid for only one season.  This season is what it is.  Even if he went on IR day 1 with a ruptutred ACL, his salary for this year is what it is.  I agree, he's overpaid next year as a backup, but it's only one year and he'll carry no dead cap unless he's actually cut.  We carried so much dead cap and had so many bloated contracts in the past that Darnold's 5th-year, while expensive, is by no means going to hurt the team long term.  I'll say int one more time, it was a short-trem calculated risk.  Hind sight is 202/20 and had he actually continued to play decent like his first few games, it would have been worth it.

It's like Cam's deal.  If he came off the couch and actually got this team winning, that would have been worth the money.  Right now he's 0-2 as the starter.  His base contract comes out to just under $1M/game for the 7 games he has/will start.  Darnold's 5th-year option next year would be a little over $1M per game if he were the starter every game.  Difference? 

Wasted money and dead money are the same thing. If you pay him 19M for 3M value, then what’s the difference. And Cam is starting. Your whole scenario has Darnold as a backup. What’s that value per game? Everyone is looking for a way to spread it out but you maintain that it’s OK because it’s all in one year. For a guarantee that never had a chance of being a smart move. 

8 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Yes but LOTS of people/fans who follow the NFL are fully aware of all that...as are the teams -- again, old news.

Also, E.B. continues to get interviews from teams despite that info...there's something else out there.

There’s also rumblings that his interviews are poo in general but who knows.

BUT I wonder how much Nagy and Doug have left a bad taste in the owners mouths. I know Doug won a super bowl but even that couldn’t save him but then again the Philly office culture sucks in general.

Edited by Panthercougar68

Just now, Toomers said:

Wasted money and dead money are the same thing. If you pay him 19M for 3M value, then what’s the difference. And Cam is starting. Your whole scenario has Darnold as a backup. What’s that value per game? Everyone is looking for a way to spread it out but you maintain that it’s OK because it’s all in one year. For a guarantee that never had a chance of being a smart move. 

They couldn't spread it out unless they reworked his deal.  Secondly, it's only a bad move now because it didn't work.  If Cam goes 0-7 or 1-6 as the starter, was that a bad move too?   Sure seemed like a good move at the time up until that 5.8 QBR, right?  The only guarantee is that our OL is and has been garbage that would make just about any QB look bad. 

Just now, 45catfan said:

They couldn't spread it out unless they reworked his deal.  Secondly, it's only a bad move now because it didn't work.  If Cam goes 0-7 or 1-6 as the starter, was that a bad move too?   Sure seemed like a good move at the time up until that 5.8 QBR, right?  The only guarantee is that our OL is and has been garbage that would make just about any QB look bad. 

Under what scenario was exercising the option of benefit to the Panthers. They bet 19M on a hand where they was no prize. Cam has nothing to do with this. He was paid for this year. Not given a 19M “hug” from a team that has one OL. 

1 minute ago, Toomers said:

Anytime you want to discuss facts, I’m all for it. Name the topic. It wouldn’t be the first time you have embarrassed yourself on here. 

Oh you mean like how Tepper hired Rhule and Hurney had nothing to do with it... You might want to keep on keeping because I'm going to embarrass you like always. 

2 minutes ago, Snake said:

Oh you mean like how Tepper hired Rhule and Hurney had nothing to do with it... You might want to keep on keeping because I'm going to embarrass you like always. 

What are you gonna show me. Some fluff piece that said a owner asked the guy who ruined the team twice to pick his new HC by himself. We know that they would never not be truthful in everything said in press conferences and interviews. Those aren’t facts. That’s your anti-Hurney narrative wanting to blame everything on him. He did plenty of bad on his own. Maybe we can discuss that Kalil restructure again. Those were good times. Facts weren’t your friend I then either. 

15 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Under what scenario was exercising the option of benefit to the Panthers. They bet 19M on a hand where they was no prize. Cam has nothing to do with this. He was paid for this year. Not given a 19M “hug” from a team that has one OL. 

If Darnold had worked out, then they had the leverage and Darnold's trust to work out a long-term deal down the road.  You have the benefit of hindsight. If Darnold had worked out, would you be on here laboring your point about this option?  I doubt it. 

Yes, Cam does have something to do with this.  You can't cherry pick deals.  This organization pulled a dude...that no other team wanted anything to do with, off the coach and yes, literally hugged him (picture with Tepper) to come save this team.  So if the Cam 2.0 experiment implodes, was it a dumb deal that had a bunch of risk?  Indicators were (cut in favor of a rookie and couldn't get a phone call from other teams) this signing has little chance of success.  Both obviously had their risks.  We could have just rolled with PJ, saved the $6M-10M and still manage to finish out of the playoffs.  Only thing now is Cam might actually win 1-2 games and worsen our draft position.

Edited by 45catfan

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

If Darnold had worked out, then they had the leverage and Darnold's trust to work out a long-term deal down the road.  You have the benefit of hindsight. If Darnold had worked out, would you be on here dragging your laboring your point about this option?  I doubt it. 

Yes, Cam does have something to do with this.  You can't cherry pick deals.  This organization pulled a dude...that no other team wanted anything to do with, off the coach and yes, literally hugged him (picture with Tepper) to come save this team.  So if the Cam 2.0 experiment implodes, was it a dumb deal that had a bunch of risk?  Indicators were (cut in favor of a rookie and couldn't get a phone call from other teams) this signing has little chance of success.  Both obviously had their risks.  We could have just rolled with PJ, saved the $6M-10M and still manage to finish out of the playoffs.  Only thing now is Cam might actually win 1-2 games and worsen our draft position.

If Darnold works out, he’s signing long term and his first year cap hit would probably be even lower than 19M. They are still paying it. So what was the benefit. If they were willing to give him 19M for his ego, do you really think they wouldn’t sign him long term before next year. So they save nothing under the BEST of scenarios. Anything else is just loss. 

I pointed this out well before they even exercised the option. In multiple threads. Want to see all the exact same arguments from before they did. And after. And during the Summer. 

Signing Cam had nothing to do with the ignorant decision made in May with Sam. It may be bad as well. Cam being here has to do with Sam sucking/injured. But Cam sucking is just the next bad decision they have made if so. 

Why are we giving Fitt a bunch of credit?  I questioned his moves almost a month ago.

Cons:

Bid against ourselves and paid a kings ransom for Sam Darnold

Pick up his 5th year option unnecessarily therefor tying us with him for 2 years

Extending Robbie Anderson.  I mean wtf was that?

Being cute in the draft and not addressing our main needs (QB, line) and letting talent slip by for a wr that we didnt need

Signing Erving and Elflein on day 1 hour 1 of free agency

Trading Perriman

Giving up more draft capital for a corner that is rumored to hate football and has played limited snaps and trading Darnolds safety valve in the process

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Toomers said:

If Darnold works out, he’s signing long term and his first year cap hit would probably be even lower than 19M. They are still paying it. So what was the benefit. If they were willing to give him 19M for his ego, do you really think they wouldn’t sign him long term before next year. So they save nothing under the BEST of scenarios. Anything else is just loss

I pointed this out well before they even exercised the option. In multiple threads. Want to see all the exact same arguments from before they did. And after. And during the Summer. 

Signing Cam had nothing to do with the ignorant decision made in May with Sam. It may be bad as well. Cam being here has to do with Sam sucking/injured. But Cam sucking is just the next bad decision they have made if so. 

A one-year loss.  Dude, you are acting like this is setting the franchise back decades. He's going to be an overpaid backup next season to finish up this deal.  We are not going to cut him because you incur dead cap AND have to fill the spot.  It was a stab at a potential franchise QB when Teddy didn't work out.  The 5th-year option came along with Darnold.  They chose to pick up the option which now doesn't look wise, but it's not a franchise busting mistake.  Dude's get overpaid all the time in this League, why you are so fascinated with Danrold is beyond me?  I mean if your so bored you want to continue on all day, I can go to OTC and cherry-pick tons of contracts that overvalued (I actually have to get some yard work done at some point).  Why? Teams take a risk at extending, re-working, offering new deals based off what they value that player to be for that organization.   Does that backfire?  Oh, heck yes, many times over.  Best case scenario at that point is take your lumps and move on.  LUCKILY for us it's just...one...season.

• Pie 1