• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dane Brugler Mock Draft 1.0 (from The Athletic)

Mr. Scot

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

I am not seeing it either.  If one was going to rise it would have happened by now.  Build the line and then circle back in 23 for a qb.  The timeline sucks but at least its a damn plan

All these guys had the opportunity to prove themselves first round worthy and none did.

They all have obvious flags or definitive ceilings. I would take a bunch of them in the 2nd or the 3rd but absolutely none of them in the first. Much less in the top 10.

Statistically, at least one SHOULD be successful in the NFL but I wouldn't be the team rolling that die in the top 10.

2 minutes ago, firefox1234 said:

That didn’t stop the Cards from drafting QBs in the first round in back to back years.

Long story short, you keep drafting a QB until you find your franchise QB.

I understand that mentality but you gotta pick your spots. This isn't that year.

We also have way more needs than just QB. 

• Pie 3

I can understand people not sure about drafting QB but everything should be on the table. If we're able to move a bad contract or two we need to be going after some proven olinemen via free agency or trade. All our resources next year should be going to the offense in a league driven by scoring and I don't care who we have to move to make that happen even if it means losing a fan favorite. But it all begins with QB.

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I understand that mentality but you gotta pick your spots. This isn't that year.

We also have way more needs than just QB. 

Oh no doubt! I am not arguing one should blindly reach for any QB or else you get in the situation we are in now. Im just saying the moment you feel you can get a franchise QB especially in the draft you pull the trigger.

With the rookie cap it makes even more sense to continuously draft a QB until you find your franchise QB versus sticking it out and waiting for the right opportunity. 

5 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

until we have a QB, the pick has to be QB...I get the desire to draft a LT, but we can't seem to get there.

this is the correct way of thinking.

ultimately it will come down to a question of positional value. You aren’t going to spend a 1st round pick on interior linemen, and you have one OT already. So it’s a simple debate of QB or OT and which matters more.

Id love Cam to catch lightning in a bottle and play them out of range of a QB, I really would, (provided he remained good going forward) but right now it doesn’t seem to be trending that way.

Oh no doubt! I am not arguing one should blindly reach for any QB or else you get in the situation we are in now. Im just saying the moment you feel you can get a franchise QB especially in the draft you pull the trigger.

With the rookie cap it makes even more sense to continuously draft a QB until you find your franchise QB versus sticking it out and waiting for the right opportunity. 

And I agree with that viewpoint entirely. However.....these guys have no clue what a successful QB even looks like, which is super scary. Also, it's hard to justify taking a suspect QB when elite OL may be on the board.

Darnold is done here as a starter. PJ is at best a backup and perhaps Cam can be another bridge QB. That's probably his ceiling. But, any of these options will be better with competent OL.

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

And I agree with that viewpoint entirely. However.....these guys have no clue what a successful QB even looks like, which is super scary. Also, it's hard to justify taking a suspect QB when elite OL may be on the board.

Darnold is done here as a starter. PJ is at best a backup and perhaps Cam can be another bridge QB. That's probably his ceiling. But, any of these options will be better with competent OL.

I 100% agree. Hopefully we get build a OL but this franchise hasn’t drafted an OL in the first for more than a decade. If they aren’t gonna do the logical stuff maybe we’re better of them swing for the fences but this time at rookie QBs and not dumpster diving. 

To be honest if we went another decade of not drafting OL in the first round because we went QB instead, I would be okay with that.

34 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

F that crap.

Pickett???? Not before the 3rd Round.

That Iowa center 20 times before Pickett.

I hope a team gets obsessed with a QB then in desperation to acquire that top 10 pick we are able to trade down and get a 2nd round pick as well. Then double down on the oline.    That is my hope.  

• Pie 4

I 100% agree. Hopefully we get build a OL but this franchise hasn’t drafted an OL in the first for more than a decade. If they aren’t gonna do the logical stuff maybe we’re better of them swing for the fences but this time at rookie QBs and not dumpster diving. 

To be honest if we went another decade of not drafting OL in the first round because we went QB instead, I would be okay with that.

Yeah, I just disagree because we would likely end up squandering another promising QB talent by not protecting him.

Also, what you are describing is the thing I have posted on here before about. I am afraid we are in the midst of being the 1999-2017 Cleveland Browns and their comical QB carousel. I posted the side by side comparison and right now we are actually tracking to be a worse version of them during that time span.

That concerns me because that isn't typically an easy nosedive to pull up from. That kind of franchise dysfunction usually takes decades to recover from.