• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dane Brugler Mock Draft 1.0 (from The Athletic)

Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, Panther'sBigD said:

Take the best Offensive lineman available. If this is a particularly deep O line draft, then trade away some future picks to get some more now. Stop reaching for QBs, build an Oline that a QB could take a short nap behind and then you can either attract a good FA QB or go draft one in 23. 

There appear to be some potentially elite OT and IOL prospects in this draft. I would take any one of them available in the top 15. It makes the most sense, IMO.

QB class is incredibly weak and the rest of our needs don't warrant top 15 investment, IMO.

• Beer 1

This draft is the same as the last two: we have needs everywhere, we aren’t competing now, and we should trade back to pick up additional picks this year or next. It makes me sick to see the Giants double-dipping in the top ten because they were smart and patient enough to take advantage of a desperate Bears team last year and we weren’t. 

We need a safety, at least one linebacker, an impact tight end, a quarterback, and four new starting offensive linemen. Plus depth across both lines. We’re not winning a championship with that many holes and these problems don’t go away when CMC, Horn, Erving, Darnold, etc come back healthy. 

Trade down. Build future capital. Improve the whole roster.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

It won't matter one damn bit who we pick if this coaching staff is still in place and if we are still relying on Fitterer to find us offensive line talent on the FA market.

Right now, we'd be better off with Dave Gettleman and 81-year old George Seifert. And I frikkin' hated 'em both here.

If we draft a QB, the kid is dead meat out there. If we draft o-line, there's no one to coach and develop them. 

We'd probably get another DB. And trade for three more. 

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Why? I’m assuming Horn comes back healthy so that’s one CB locked down. If we keep both Gilmore and Donte, who is playing slot CB and not playing full time but making a ton of $$$s? If we keep one then we absolutely wasted a 3rd on CJ because I see Hartsfield or someone cheap as the slot.

We have Horn, CJ, Bouye and Hartsfield under contract next year. We don’t need both Donte and Gilmore and Donte isn’t going to be cheap enough or short enough a deal. I think that leaves Gilmore. Is he willing to take a not huge deal for a couple years while CJ is groomed and hopefully turns into a legit starter?

Also, why should we sign expensive players now? We’ve wasted a lot of cap money in 2020 and 2021 for 10-18 so far. Cap money we could have rolled over or secured long term contracts on younger guys. We don’t have our future QB or an adequate OL and we don’t have our 2nd/3rd rounders this draft. How much can we possibly improve next year to warrant spending $12-15M a year on another CB or doubling that for two? I wanted to do a full rebuild in 2020 around a rookie QB and two years later we are literally in the same freaking boat. Doing the same thing every year and expecting different results is insanity.

CJ is depth only. I don't want CJ on the outside.

Our outside is Horn and Gilmore/Djax

Maybe CJ at slot.

Ideally it's Horn Gilmore for me but we also have no idea the long term ramifications from Horn's foot injury.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

At #10, the Panthers take quarterback Kenny Pickett.

10. Carolina Panthers — Kenny Pickett, QB, Pittsburgh

Flash back six years ago: Pickett, then a high school junior, committed to play quarterback at Temple for head coach Matt Rhule. Pickett re-opened his recruitment once bigger programs showed interest and chose Pitt, but this time around, Rhule might decide Pickett’s next destination. To fix its hole at quarterback, Carolina has unsuccessfully tried the former first-round pick route with Teddy Bridgewater in 2020 and Sam Darnold and Cam Newton this season. Unless they lure Aaron Rodgers to Charlotte this offseason, using a first-round pick of their own on a promising quarterback like Pickett might be the Panthers’ best option.

Obviously this assumes Rhule is still head coach in Carolina (sadly a fair assumption until proven otherwise).

Pickett is the first quarterback taken in this scenario. Sam Howell goes to the Steelers at 16 and Matt Corral joins Rivera in Washington at 19.

I'd add that the Aaron Rodgers speculation seems dubious, but could be interesting if the Panthers were to dump Rhule for Nathaniel Hackett.

Other picks of interest...

DE Aidan Hutchinson (Michigan) to the Lions at #1

DE Kayvon Thibodeaux (Oregon) to the Texans at #2

OT Evan Neal (Alabama) to the Jaguars at #3

OT Ikem Ekwonu (NC State) to the Jets at #5

C Tyler Linderbaum (Iowa) to the Giants at #7

DE Travon Walker (Georgia) to the Falcons at #11

WR Garrett Wilson (Ohio State) to the Saints at #13

OT Trevor Penning (Northern Iowa) to the Raiders at #18

OT Charles Cross (Mississippi State) to the Dolphins at #21

OL Kenyon Green (Texas A&M) to the Bills at #22

DL DeMarvin Leal (Texas A&M)to the Buccaneers at #28

WR Chris Olave (Ohio State) to the Patriots at #29

OL Darian Kinnard (Kentucky) to the Packers at #30

OT Daniel Faalele (Minnesota) to the Ravens at #3

Edited by Cdparr7
Meh

Worth remembering...

Funny thing to consider about the draft as it currently stands: the "top ten" actually consists of only seven teams, so just six teams would be picking ahead of us.

The Lions (Pick 1)
The Texans (Pick 2)
The Jaguars (Pick 3)
The Jets (Picks 4 and 5)
The Giants (Picks 6 and 7)
The Eagles (Picks 8 and 9)

Of those, it's pretty safe to say that the Jags and Jets aren't likely to take quarterbacks.

The Lions? They have Goff and a GM who's a fan of him, but the bigger question to me is do they really think any quarterback available in this draft is worth taking first overall above guys like Thibodeaux and Hutchinson? That seems like a stretch to me.

Texans? Yeah, they did take Davis Mills last year though I don't know if that means anything here (kinda doubt it) but Brugler doesn't have them picking a QB here for the same reason as mentioned above. This year's crop just doesn't have anybody worth taking that high. You also have to account for what they do with Watson and other potential offseason activity, of course.

Then you come to the Giants. It's conceivable they might or might not go QB depending on what Joe Judge (or his replacement) thinks of Daniel Jones. But again, also whether they think any of this year's guys are potentially better. They could decide to try one more year of Jones and then reexamine things next year. And even if they do use one of their picks on a passer. which one?

Eagles at 8 or 9 might seem like the safest bet to take a QB (again, depending on their offseason activity) but then who do they take? Would they want Pickett above guys like Corral, Howell, etc. Hard to say. They've got two picks so using one on a QB is definitely plausible. It just comes down to which one.

And then there's us...

Bottom Line: If we do end up picking 10th or potentially even higher (definitely possible) it seems like only a couple might be taken. Thus, factoring in that Rhule has a prior connection to Pickett, it's not all that hard to imagine this scenario happening. And again, if we wind up with an even higher pick, all bets are off.

No, going QB high in this draft wouldn't be my choice either, but ya know...

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1