• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Some insight into McCaffrey...

Mr. Scot

12 minutes ago, Mage said:

See, the problem with the whole "don't draft a RB in the 1st round" argument is that it tries to say every situation is the same.

Should the 2021 Lions draft a RB in the 1st round?  Hell no

But why shouldn't the 2021 Bills draft one?  Why shouldn't the 2021 Patriots draft one?

Elite RBs are a difference-maker.  Yes, they have relatively shorter playing careers as an elite player than other positions, but the league changes way too much in 5 years IMO to not draft a guy just because he won't be good 5 years from now.  If the Bills were in a position to take a McCaffrey in the draft, they absolutely should take him.

I think a better way is to say bad teams shouldn't draft RBs in the 1st round, because it'll take too long to rebuild before RB is able to contribute to a winning team (in all likelihood).  Good teams absolutely should take a RB if it is a need and will make an immediate difference.

Nope because the value for any other position is still better. I doubt for example all 5 of the OL are studs so even a pick there is better. Then your any RB you draft in later rounds runs through open holes.

Ryan Tannehill 11/21 93 1 1
RUSHING
Player CAR YDS TD AVG
Dontrell Hilliard 12 131 1 10.9
D'Onta Foreman 19 109 0 5.7

Easily replaced with not one but two RBs going for 100 yards vs a Pats defense. That's the OL so losing:

937 yards 10 TDs in 8 games is easily replaceable and thats a 2k RB. Clear from this what the issue is there last game.

28 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Sorry, the central tenet of the articles, that CMC is injury prone, is incomplete?

The question is, is he injury prone? Or is does he just have WAY more opportunities for injury due to his over-use?  And over-used as the latest tool 

I call this the Carolina-Cam Syndrome.

Quoting from the article...

The fact that none of those injuries is related would seem to bolster the argument that McCaffrey can’t stay healthy. Since McCaffrey returned from his hamstring injury, the Panthers have been careful to limit his reps.

And his most recent ankle issue wasn’t an overuse injury: Sources said McCaffrey was hurt when a lineman fell on his ankle.

7 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

He had one year plus the 5th option.  It was monumentally retarded to extend him when we did.  There was literally no benefit or positive in making that move.   

which basically means CMC could in theory still be on his rookie deal as we speak....

or we could of just not bothered with his 5th year and let him walk after his 2020 injured season. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I mean, the pre-extension article comes down pretty hard on the side of McCaffrey being the right choice.

The second one? I don't know if you can say he's suggesting that we should have taken Fournette (he doesn't say that anywhere) but he does criticize the extension, including pointing out that Fournette is still going and at a much lower price.

Much as I hate to say it, that's a valid point.

It's the Hurney gift that keeps on giving.  

• Pie 1

Just now, CRA said:

which basically means CMC could in theory still be on his rookie deal as we speak....

or we could of just not bothered with his 5th year and let him walk after his 2020 injured season. 

Its.fuging.infuriating

What the fug were we thinking?  He was going to hold out?  fug it dude, fine hold out see how that works out for you.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Cost more?  We made him the highest paid RB.  How could he possibly cost more?  We were dummies to run him like we did in a poo season so he could get some 1000/1000 number only to turn around and reward him for it.  We are truly fuged with this type of leadership.

I thought Tepper was all analytics but so far he has just been poo in making decisions 

Yeah that 1000/1000 season really helped him get that fat contract.  Probably ran him into the ground by doing it, but it probably would have made him a lot of $$$$$ either here or with another team.  Panthers probably didn't want him to hit the open market and that's why they paid him albeit way before they needed too....I am in total agreement with everyone there.

Edited by Rocky Davis

Just now, Rocky Davis said:

Yeah that 1000/1000 season really helped him get that fat contract.  Probably ran him into the ground by doing it, but it probably would have made him a lot of $$$$$ either here or with another team.  Panthers probably didn't want him to hit the open market and that's why they paid him.

Hit the open market?  He had potentially 2 years left.  He couldnt go anywhere

• Pie 4

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I tend not to buy into absolutes when it comes to the draft (this one included).

Sure like at the very end of the first for example where you won't be in position to get him in the second round if you have a really good one you like.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/rb

When you look at this is clear that the poo organizations pick RBs high and the 1st round RBs you do see go by good franchises are near the end. Also most of those higher picks have been injured already in just a few short seasons. With even an elite player like Gurley already out of the league drafted in just 2015. 

Think I'd rather have Peat for the next 6+ years as a cornerstone. Not hindsight either obviously.

aCaapture.PNG

7 minutes ago, Fox007 said:

Nope because the value for any other position is still better. I doubt for example all 5 of the OL are studs so even a pick there is better. Then your any RB you draft in later rounds runs through open holes.

Ryan Tannehill 11/21 93 1 1
RUSHING
Player CAR YDS TD AVG
Dontrell Hilliard 12 131 1 10.9
D'Onta Foreman 19 109 0 5.7

Easily replaced with not one but two RBs going for 100 yards vs a Pats defense. That's the OL so losing:

937 yards 10 TDs in 8 games is easily replaceable and thats a 2k RB. Clear from this what the issue is there last game.

The counter to your argument is that if Cmac had the Dallas line from the 90s or the Steelers line from the Cower era he might score like Bo Jackson in Tecmo Bowl. 

These scrub running backs aren't able to take full advantage of the line being great when you have one.