• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule a hot name for open college coaching jobs at Oklahoma, Notre Dame

NAS

So the Rhule and Brady to Oklahoma smoke is getting really thick. I wonder where that leaves us on an interim basis for the last 5 games? Rhule would obviously be gone as would Brady as he is half the attraction there with his connection to Caleb Williams and we know Rhule is not going anywhere without Phil Snow along for the ride.

Not that it really matters, but the HC and both coordinators leaving with this much season left has to be unprecedented, right?

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Bartin said:

So the Rhule and Brady to Oklahoma smoke is getting really thick. I wonder where that leaves us on an interim basis for the last 5 games? Rhule would obviously be gone as would Brady as he is half the attraction there with his connection to Caleb Williams and we know Rhule is not going anywhere without Phil Snow along for the ride.

Not that it really matters, but the HC and both coordinators leaving with this much season left has to be unprecedented, right?

Would just be Rhule one of the others would take over until they were terminated at season end then they would join, I suppose. 

I guess if all 3 left, Blackburn or Holcombe? 

3 minutes ago, Bartin said:

For a college coaching gig......absolutely uncharted territory. I would be intrigued to see the optics/perception of our franchise if this happens. Truthfully, I think it would reflect poorly on Rhule, but can't look good for an NFL franchise with a LOADED owner that backed up the Brinks truck for you loses their HC 1.5 years into his gig.

3 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

For a college coaching gig......absolutely uncharted territory. I would be intrigued to see the optics/perception of our franchise if this happens. Truthfully, I think it would reflect poorly on Rhule, but can't look good for an NFL franchise with a LOADED owner that backed up the Brinks truck for you loses their HC 1.5 years into his gig.

I'm sure it would be pitched as a mutual parting of ways or something where both sides don't look terrible like they did with the Petrino/Falcons situation. Good PR can spin it so it's not a complete mess and I have seen absolutely nothing that the fan base would be in any way upset if Rhule did leave. Most would be thrilled and at worst people would be kind of indifferent.

27 minutes ago, TN05 said:

Take it with a grain of salt, but I know an OU insider who knew their coach was leaving before he did. They mainly want Brady, but if Rhule being there is what it takes to get him they'll do it - and the boosters are more than happy to cover any payout that results from Rhule leaving.

I'll toss in a couple bucks if it helps.

22 minutes ago, Cdparr7 said:

My source lives on the west coast now and the other one died. The half reliable ones I have now say Rhule is staying no matter what in 2022 unless he loses out.

That's a possibility.

9 minutes ago, Cdparr7 said:

Can NCAA teams even recruit active HCs until the season is over?

Even then they are under a contract? Don’t they have to request an interview?

The NFL doesn't have any authority over the NCAA.

8 minutes ago, Cdparr7 said:

Would just be Rhule one of the others would take over until they were terminated at season end then they would join, I suppose.

I guess if all 3 left, Blackburn or Holcombe? 

Not sure he'd take Blackburn, but it's also not all that likely the next coach would retain him.