• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

You Don't Know What You Got Till It's Gone

Catsfan69

16 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Ron is a good dude but still is stuck in the 1980's in the mindset of a head coach

What's wrong with that?

It's working for the Titans and the Patriots.

You understand that if you can win and never have to throw a pass that It's better than anything else right?

1 hour ago, CPF4LIFE said:

What we had was 3 winning seasons out of 9. I dont miss it. 

I’ll largely take a repeat stretch of what the Ron era was.  Just give me a better officiated Super Bowl. 

- drafted the most exciting and entertaining player in franchise history

-  stretch of 4 postseason appearances in 5 years 

- best season in Panther history 

-stretch of 3 straight division titles 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2
  • Poo 1

3 hours ago, t96 said:

Ron had worn out his welcome here and still hasn't accomplished a thing in Washington. Great guy, but he's highly unlikely to ever be a SB winning HC. We had to move on.

He got them a playoff birth however horrible it was for the first time in 5 years, for an NFC East team that’s pretty damn good. 

• Pie 1

There are very very few HCs that go beyond 10 years with one team, it’s almost unheard of. And it certainly does not consist of coaches not being able to win back to back season or who average 8 wins a season over that span with a team full of talent.

Ron does best when his back is against the wall and he is forced to make moves. Aka injured starters, losing record etc. Notice once the WFT started losing he started taking big risks in games. I think he goes for it on 4th more than any other HC, or is in top 5.

Ron has grit. He will rally poor talent. He will make anyone soft tougher, he won’t have a really poo 1-2 win season.

However when he has choices, when he has options, and he must evaluate…he will fail. He cannot and will not adapt when his way does not work.

His and Fox’s mantra has always been screw mismatches, schemes, or attacking vulnerabilities. It’s 1v1, man vs. man. Period. No matter what. Example: Remmers in the Super Bowl. And let the best man win, and if he’ll lose, it’ll be his way.

This will breed mediocre success and, with the right personal, it can even go pretty far. Hell in the 90s, I think he would easily be a SB winning coach.

However today there are two problems with that model, the inability to adapt. First there is no consistency. It won’t hold up over a period of time. Second, players now are different as are coaches.

They adapt and scheme, analytics and all that. They are playing positions differently. If you aren’t able to adapt and utilize the modern talent of players like Cam, CMC, or even Luke (towards the end of his career in the 3-4), aren’t able to evaluate talent on the sidelines but instead lazily go for heart of a player,  ‘lose my way’ path of evaluating, instead trying to foster/come up with ideas for new talent, it will never be sustainable.

All that said, in summary, he is a good ‘rollercoaster’ coach and with the right personnel, in the right circumstance, with his back up against the wall. Living and dying by the sword will bring some success, no absolute failures, and a mass amount of mediocrity.

Edited by onmyown

23 minutes ago, CRA said:

I’ll largely take a repeat stretch of what the Ron era was.  Just give me a better officiated Super Bowl. 

- drafted the most exciting and entertaining player in franchise history

-  stretch of 4 postseason appearances in 5 years 

- best season in Panther history 

-stretch of 3 straight division titles 

You cannot underestimate the talent he had. The 2015 season for example I remember very fondly as any Panther fan would. It was pure talent overcoming  ineffective coaching/scheming time and time again, game after game. A lot of that was Shula, but that team was so good it wasn’t only defeating the opponents, often times it was defeating its own coaching.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Zaximus said:

Rivera is an average coach that brings stability. 

Exactly. When a WFT fan asked me what I thought of Ron, I told him, if you want to go 7-9 to 9-7 year after year, he's your man. WFT is right on track for that kind of year. When you're the fan of a bad team that doesn't sound terrible (and unfortunately Panthers fans find themselves there). After a few years of that, fans start wanting more. 

• Pie 1