• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

You Don't Know What You Got Till It's Gone

Catsfan69

1 hour ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Just at a glance Zane is 90% this year and Gano is 88%. Obviously there are other factors to consider, but the big one to me will be how he kicks under pressure. We’ll see. I don’t hold my breath with Zane like I did with Gano. 

I don't think Zane had as much range 

1 hour ago, trueblade said:

Exactly. When a WFT fan asked me what I thought of Ron, I told him, if you want to go 7-9 to 9-7 year after year, he's your man. WFT is right on track for that kind of year. When you're the fan of a bad team that doesn't sound terrible (and unfortunately Panthers fans find themselves there). After a few years of that, fans start wanting more. 

He could very well take the worst team in the east and one of the 3 worst teams in the NFC (over the last several years) to back to back playoff berths.

Heineke was almost able to beat Tampa in the playoffs last year.

Was Rivera better than Rhule? Probably.

With that said, he wasn't great here either and firing him was the right move.

The one positive I could see is that if we'd kept him and hired a different GM we probably wouldn't have the setup we have now where are the head coach has final say.

Don't know that we'd have Fitterer either though because Rivera probably would have pushed for someone he'd see as an ally.

• Pie 1

Born in 54' In Pgh, Pa and seeing the Steelers win 4 SBs in 6 years we knew what we were seeing and didn't take it for granted............but that is rarified air for most sports fans to experience. 

I really haven't been much of a fan of either the Steelers or any other NFL team after Art Rooney Sr. died.....Coach Knoll retired (and has since passed) and all those great players have left the game and some like my hero Mike Webster suffered so much in later years. 

I do hope some of you will get to experience such greatness sometime in your lives with the teams you root for........

I've had a lifetime of it already and am content to just watch others for now.........

My significant other was a Chicago Cubs fan her whole life and so was her family.............for almost 3 generations they had nothing to celebrate until the World Series win at the turn of the century. 

Sports should be a release from the routine of life in a way that enrichens our experience as humans..........however, it shouldn't become such a way of life that it complicates rather than alleviates the frustrations we all have from time to time in our lives. 

Embrace greatness..........its rare and comes sometimes once in a generation if you are fortunate......

I keep seeing that image of Jack Delhomme sitting on the bench at the end of the SB just after the Panthers lost...looking over at the Patriots celebrating knowing how close he came but will have to leave the field, head to the locker room and wonder what could have been and may never be again................ 

• Pie 2

in the last few years of fox we would have these discussions about whether or not to move on from him. i wanted him gone in 3 or 4 years before he was gone and people would argue to keep him because he was the best coach we ever had, after all he'd taken the team to the superbowl!

why would we EVER want to move on from a coach that took us to the SUPERBOWL?!?!?!?!

well...because we weren't getting any better. we had peaked early and had stagnated. moving on from him was the best thing to do and it was the truth several years before he was fired.

for the first couple years rivera was here, we stunk, esp. that second year (or was it the third year? idk). there were all kinds of people pissed and wanted him gone (myself included), but somehow he stuck around for longer and we ended up going to the superbowl. 

because he took us to the superbowl should we have kept him around? nope. by that same token, since the guy we replaced him with has sucked so far does that mean we should have kept rivera around? nope.

just means we shouldn't have replaced rivera with rhule. 

of course does this mean that we should stick with rhule for another couple years because after rivera sucked the first couple years and then he didn't (but then he did later)? *shrug*

• Pie 4
  • Flames 1

36 minutes ago, rayzor said:

in the last few years of fox we would have these discussions about whether or not to move on from him. i wanted him gone in 3 or 4 years before he was gone and people would argue to keep him because he was the best coach we ever had, after all he'd taken the team to the superbowl!

why would we EVER want to move on from a coach that took us to the SUPERBOWL?!?!?!?!

well...because we weren't getting any better. we had peaked early and had stagnated. moving on from him was the best thing to do and it was the truth several years before he was fired.

for the first couple years rivera was here, we stunk, esp. that second year (or was it the third year? idk). there were all kinds of people pissed and wanted him gone (myself included), but somehow he stuck around for longer and we ended up going to the superbowl. 

because he took us to the superbowl should we have kept him around? nope. by that same token, since the guy we replaced him with has sucked so far does that mean we should have kept rivera around? nope.

just means we shouldn't have replaced rivera with rhule. 

of course does this mean that we should stick with rhule for another couple years because after rivera sucked the first couple years and then he didn't (but then he did later)? *shrug*

I agree on major point. The big thing with our previous coaches is not being a perennial playoff team. Fox didn’t have that, nor did Rivera. But that’s how people like Peyton and Tomlin keep their job. Even if they stink for a season or two they get their squad back in playoff shape. Rhule hasn’t shown us he can do that or even make the first leap to get us in perennial position.

We have to find someone that can make that first step AND make the next step.  

• Pie 1

21 hours ago, Catsfan69 said:

They seem to be on the upswing 

We were too with him. I may be biased toward Ron maybe he has learned a thing or two since his departure from panthers but I doubt it. He has to win a SB. There is nothing left for him to achieve and no he doesn't want star power on his teams. I haven't  seen not one SB team that won have not one star player on their team. Not even the qb.

21 hours ago, Catsfan69 said:

He also had Dave Gettleman and Marty Hurney

He had talent where he wanted on the defense and came up short. Not even so much was the offense bad. Even tho we had no wrs. Olsen, stew, and Cam made it work. It was when Ron was called upon to use his wit(coaching staff) we fell short. It's probably the same in Wtf if it works he will not try to improve but just keep what he has.

18 hours ago, Harbingers said:

He got them a playoff birth however horrible it was for the first time in 5 years, for an NFC East team that’s pretty damn good. 

Yea, he is good at beating a few good teams and will wet the bed on teams he should beat. He loves the underdog role.

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think the truth with Rivera is that he's a guy who can build success, but not someone who can sustain it. That was probably Fox in a nutshell too.

Unfortunately, we've now moved on to a guy who can't even build it.

True. I think Fox was better than Rivera at that first part. Would Rivera had gotten to the Superbowl without Cam as QB and Luke running the defense? 

Fox kicked the team in the nads early (literally in their first meeting in together) and that woke them up.

Rivera was too interested in being their buddy. He always wished he had a coach that coddled him so he coddled players like he wish he had been.