• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Nope. No thank you. I prefer the movie.

CRA

On 12/3/2021 at 3:02 PM, Captroop said:

Appropriate because I always think about "Measure of a Man" when I see videos like this.

I think making humanoid robots is incredibly creepy. I'm totally okay with the Boston Dynamics approach; making robots that look like machines and are designed to efficiently do a job that replaces human labor.

But when you make a robot that looks and acts human, well, there's no way around it; you're making a slave. You're creating a second class person who can do work you don't want to do. A person that is your property who you can command without them having the ability to refuse. The word "Robot" even comes from the Russian word for, "to work."

If we're doing this now, I think we should go ahead now and start developing the rights of non-human people. Because every SciFi story know we will have to do it anyway. So we might as well do it from the outset rather than after the robot revolution.

Are you advocating for “rights” for machines? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/29/2021 at 12:26 PM, Bama Panther said:

I guess I should have asked if you are “seriously advocating” for it.

Yes. And it's not unprecedented to give rights to non-human things with human functions.

If you break someone's prosthetic arm, are you damaging their property, or are you committing assault? It's a machine, but it's also someone's body. Same principle applies to a non-human person. And if you think that's silly, remember that if you shoot a K-9 unit, you killed a police officer, not just a dog.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2021 at 12:26 PM, Bama Panther said:

I guess I should have asked if you are “seriously advocating” for it.

When they reach a certain level of advancement it will have to be done. Its not something that can happen right now, but if robots become so advanced that they can think for themselves, it will either be give them rights or face a robot army. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2021 at 4:02 PM, Captroop said:

If we're doing this now, I think we should go ahead now and start developing the rights of non-human people. Because every SciFi story know we will have to do it anyway. So we might as well do it from the outset rather than after the robot revolution.

This is already being discussed. Saudi Arabia has already given citizenship to a robot.

On 12/10/2021 at 2:22 PM, d-dave said:

Honestly, I think a lot of this stuff is going to go into sex robots. 

You may have been joking, but others are not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...