• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Parsons, Fields, Slater

slumdogmillionaire

Positional needs vs availability. There are far less OT, QB NFL body types. (6'3"+ 220lbs++)

Nature has given us plenty LB, CB body types. (5'10"+ 210lbs++)

Freaks of nature should be first on your list. That's why QB,DE,LT are so much more valuable because the need for size at those positions and fewer prospects.

NFL coaches should know this already.

50 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

As much as I hate to agree with literally any decision Rhule has made - I like the Horn pick. At the time, we pretty much only had Jackson to rely on as CB. Bouye was going to be suspended and had already hit his ceiling. CB was a huge issue.

Now, in hindsight - if I’d have known we were going to go stupid with trades and this FO was actually capable of finding viable play late in the draft (Taylor) - I may say otherwise.

The only other pick I would have made there over Horn (in hindsight) is Slater.

But it is a lot easier to solve the DB position than QB and OL.   If you have a hole at DB? Well, we easily obtained a 2020 top 10 pick (long term) and we also easily obtained one of the literal top 3 DBs in the game (short term) right after we drafted Horn.   Or you can dial up heat up front and add talent there to really aid the hole in secondary too. 

and a hole at QB is massively more impactful than a hole at CB

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, trueblade said:

Hindsight is only valuable in what it can teach you to make better decisions today. One thing we can learn is our scouts had too low of a grade on Slater. Our college scouting department has needed to be significantly improved for a while. I'm not going to be able to find the quote again, but I seen to recall reading that we had the same over promotion for loyalty throughout the scouting department under Hurney that got him the GM job.

Usually, when you hire a new GM, there's massive turnover in the scouting department after the first draft. I don't recall reading about that happening in the Spring of 2021. 

I don't know who helped with those values but Slater is a MF beast. How we didn't have him higher is a huge issue going into next year. No way are our oline values are correct.

I also wonder if this is how this played in to a WR in the second with all those guys on the board. I know Brady liked him but if we had those olinemen higher it should have been harder to make that pick.

Not good but a great point.

Edited by Waldo

9 minutes ago, trueblade said:

Usually, when you hire a new GM, there's massive turnover in the scouting department after the first draft. I don't recall reading about that happening in the Spring of 2021. 

Two or three scouts replaced on a staff of about eight. Not that they were necessarily fired, mind you. I know Jeff Beathard, for example, followed Rivera to Washington.

Off the top of my head, the only guy off the who it really seemed was being demoted was Jeff Morrow. He ran the college scouting department and had an executive level title but it felt like Rhule wanted to give Pat Stewart his job. And now he effectively has.

They hired a new college scouting director and downgraded Morrow to a "consultant" type title. That's the kind of thing that usually happens right before somebody retires, which Morrow easily could. Maybe he heads to Washington but I kind of feel like she could have done that already.

What I'm hoping for in the front office this year is more involvement from Dan Morgan. I'd especially love it if he'd bring Lake Dawson over from Buffalo. The guy they named college scouting director (Cole Spencer) doesn't have near the resumé that Dawson has.

Edited by Mr. Scot

One positive I can say about this crew is that they shattered the Rivera myth that CBs are hard to find.

We have found them everywhere from a top 10 pick to that same value in the 3rd or 6th next year. CBs are out there, we just used to not have a clue what we were looking for.

And yes, the Horn pick was bad value. QBs and LTs are immensely harder to find and cost a lot more to aquire than CBs.

• Pie 3

55 minutes ago, trueblade said:

Hindsight is only valuable in what it can teach you to make better decisions today. One thing we can learn is our scouts had too low of a grade on Slater. Our college scouting department has needed to be significantly improved for a while. I'm not going to be able to find the quote again, but I seen to recall reading that we had the same over promotion for loyalty throughout the scouting department under Hurney that got him the GM job.

I think that the entire NFL is having a very hard time with the QB and the LT positions....maybe even O Line as a whole?

Teams simply cannot predict OL and QB it seems with any consistency, we are no different.

End of the day, Horn is a very good player, and likely graded out as one of the best players in the entire draft, he can be a cornerstone for your franchise, and he was needed....however, we did have a dire need for QB and OL...soooooo.

We should have committed to a rebuild, but Tepper got in the way...then Rhule.

20 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

I think that the entire NFL is having a very hard time with the QB and the LT positions....maybe even O Line as a whole?

Teams simply cannot predict OL and QB it seems with any consistency, we are no different.

End of the day, Horn is a very good player, and likely graded out as one of the best players in the entire draft, he can be a cornerstone for your franchise, and he was needed....however, we did have a dire need for QB and OL...soooooo.

We should have committed to a rebuild, but Tepper got in the way...then Rhule.

Rhule doesn't seem to like the idea of taking rookie quarterbacks.

Granted, might be different with Pickett since he has a prior connection to him.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Rhule doesn't seem to like the idea of taking rookie quarterbacks.

Granted, might be different with Pickett since he has a prior connection to him.

Seems he's impatient, and didn't have a firm grasp on how close, or far away the Panthers were from being a good football team.  Not surprising, he's a college guy.

He keeps hoping for the best, while not preparing for the worst...in this case, a disaster of a signing in both Teddy and now Sam.  Not good.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, thefuzz said:

Seems he's impatient, and didn't have a firm grasp on how close, or far away the Panthers were from being a good football team.  Not surprising, he's a college guy.

He keeps hoping for the best, while not preparing for the worst...in this case, a disaster of a signing in both Teddy and now Sam.  Not good.

I feel like part of the problem is a lot of us had the impression that Rhule was an offensive minded coach. That hasn't really panned out.

He's proven to essentially be the third part of a trilogy where parts one and two were Fox and Rivera.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, Cdparr7 said:

Wouldn’t the “greatest pro coach of all time” recognize better talent?

Greatest coach, not greatest GM. That's where they have struggled. Also, Fields was gone off the board so we will never know if Bill would have gone with him.