• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Observer article by Ellis Williams. How the Panthers got here

raleigh-panther

4 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I could easily argue this is one of the worst rosters in the NFL. 

I agree and have said it in various threads.  So many huddlers believe we have great talent here.  The reality is we don't.  We are weak in damn near every offensive position and not much better off defensively which has been proven when we play better quality teams.

• Pie 2

13 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

I agree and have said it in various threads.  So many huddlers believe we have great talent here.  The reality is we don't.  We are weak in damn near every offensive position and not much better off defensively which has been proven when we play better quality teams.

The offense really doesn’t have much. Moore who I think has some sever motivation problems and is not a 1. Moton checked out after being paid (as will Moore 100%). Anderson who got paid 15m for his 288 yards 3 tds and 12 drops or whatever.

No oline, No QB. Just  single WR who has the potential to play better than he is.

CMC is great but until utilized correctly he isn’t worth it. Plus he’s injured all the time so does it even matter.

Scheme is bad sure but there is no talent to be had.

• Pie 3

I have no problem with the “win now” moves made during the season. Gilmore for a sixth was a no brainer. The trade for Henderson is looking less promising but I still have no problem with it. A 3rd for a young CB with potential isn’t bad. The mistakes were made before the season (and last season, cutting Cam and signing Bridgewater). The most egregious mistakes were the QB decisions and the OL decisions. Both sets of mistakes were HUGE. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, tiger7_88 said:

The bigger mistake before that was keeping Rivera *AND* Hurney in Tepper Year One.

He should have cleaned the slate the first day he sat down in the owner's office.

The more egregious mistake was keeping Marty IMO, not Ron. Yes, we wanted Ron gone, but I feel that should have been left up to a new GM to decide, not a brand new owner. Keeping Marty alone set us back years, on top of the years he had already set us back by being incompetent outside of round 1 of the draft.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

Fitt has to stay and have a chance at a new coaching staff. Some of the moves he went along with were very short sighted (looking at you Darnold), but I believe he needs to be given a chance. Rhule needs to go. Who knew a “charmer” wouldn’t be a good NFL coach. Can’t use college principles in the pros

• Pie 1

Fitterer deserves a pass.  This mindset started before he was here.

I said it at the time, someone in the organization thought they could win with Teddy.  Everyone was trying to convince themselves he was "just" a bridge QB which was never the case.  If he was, we would have kept him a second year, and drafted someone this year for him to bridge to.

Fact is the team thought they could win with him and when they didn't, they got rid of him.  In the meantime, the defense, which was extremely young, actually showed some promise last year.  So now I'm sure they are thinking if they can just find a decent QB that they can actually be a competitive team.  Rookie QBs take time, so they started looking for vets, Watson never devolved, Stafford went elsewhere, so they decided to try a former 1st round pick QB.

Simply put we tried to win quick, started the first year Rhule was here, it's costing us now.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

39 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Fitterer deserves a pass.  This mindset started before he was here.

I said it at the time, someone in the organization thought they could win with Teddy.  Everyone was trying to convince themselves he was "just" a bridge QB which was never the case.  If he was, we would have kept him a second year, and drafted someone this year for him to bridge to.

Fact is the team thought they could win with him and when they didn't, they got rid of him.  In the meantime, the defense, which was extremely young, actually showed some promise last year.  So now I'm sure they are thinking if they can just find a decent QB that they can actually be a competitive team.  Rookie QBs take time, so they started looking for vets, Watson never devolved, Stafford went elsewhere, so they decided to try a former 1st round pick QB.

Simply put we tried to win quick, started the first year Rhule was here, it's costing us now.

Shitty thing is even if we had made the playoffs or whatever in win now mode, it wouldn't be sustainable because they blew a bunch of cap space and draft picks. Maybe if Darnold became Mahomes out of nowhere it could have worked, but it was such a horrible gamble for no reason. If we had our current record with Teddy and a rookie QB on the bench and like 10 draft picks next year people could be optimistic, but here we are

• Pie 2

Take a look at our 2022 draft picks, this OL, and this QB situation and think to yourself, "how desperate for an HC job does a guy have to be to want to step into this clusterfug?"

I don't care how much money you throw at someone, no one's gonna want this poo.

Also, if they are that desperate, do we really want them? 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

6 hours ago, rayzor said:

Take a look at our 2022 draft picks, this OL, and this QB situation and think to yourself, "how desperate for an HC job does a guy have to be to want to step into this clusterfug?"

I don't care how much money you throw at someone, no one's gonna want this poo.

Also, if they are that desperate, do we really want them? 

You would be surprised at what coaches take over. Andy Reid built KC from the ground up after it looked like well.. Us. Finding the right coach is the key though. 

• Pie 1

Well I think Rhule definitely thought the team was better then they were.  The only real bad trade I see is the Darnold trade.  I still don't hate the Henderson trade.  If we had all of our picks in place less the 3rd for Henderson no one would be complaining.  Conversely we probably don't find a 3rd round corner in that spot better then him.  Also it saves us paying DJax.  Really both the Gilmore and Henderson trades were good moves in my opinion.

I think it's fairly obvious we're in a trade down situation in the upcoming draft again unless there is a qb there.  We do have a good bit of cap room so we aren't completely fugged.

That said we would be in an amazing spot if it wasn't for the Darnold extension.

Edited by TheMaulClaw

Trading that 2nd for Darnold is looking real bad. That basically assured we had to pick up his 5th year to justify the trade. And then he shows us he was the real Darnold and can’t be saved. So the Jets stole a pick from us. I agree with the sentiment that it’s trade down or bust for us to recoup some of that compensation. We need a 2 at the very least. 

in hindsight, I wish we took that Chicago trade in the past draft. Trading down that far would have hurt, but we still could have gotten an OL at that spot and had 2 1’s to play around with this year. 

• Pie 1