• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Could This Line-Up Be Worse?

SetfreexX

1 minute ago, rayzor said:

i'd say it wasn't as much an issue. he inherited a pretty good one to start with but he kept plugging in decent players as needed.  it was at least a priority. 

38 minutes ago, Dave Gettleman's Shorts said:

Fox had his downfalls but o-line under his era was never the issue as he was a run heavy coach and were willing to invest as he knew their importance. Gross, Wharton, Ryan Kalil, and Otah (before injuries) to name a few.

We had a couple of of big (by then's standards lol) disappointments. We drafted Gross and Kalil which is top shelf. Then we had some reaches on OGs and also wasted players like Mathis which played poorly here due to scheme and misuse but flourished elsewhere. If I remember correctly, it was just Fox having no idea how offenses work when he put personnel together with scheme. Otah was a giant fat guy who played well for one year, which was a miracle given his health and weight.

I swear there was more but I just can't remember them all. A giant FA implosion. Either way, the 2 big hits made it look like the land of dreams compared to now.

18 minutes ago, Waldo said:

We had a couple of of big (by then's standards lol) disappointments. We drafted Gross and Kalil which is top shelf. Then we had some reaches on OGs and also wasted players like Mathis which played poorly here due to scheme and misuse but flourished elsewhere. If I remember correctly, it was just Fox having no idea how offenses work when he put personnel together with scheme. Otah was a giant fat guy who played well for one year, which was a miracle given his health and weight.

I swear there was more but I just can't remember them all. A giant FA implosion. Either way, the 2 big hits made it look like the land of dreams compared to now.

You might be thinking of Wahle and Hartwig.

If I recall correctly, Wahle wasn't terrible, he just wasn't all that great either.

Captain Mohawk on the other hand was bad enough that they went for a rookie Ryan Kalil over him even though Kalil admits that he was hopelessly lost  at the time.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You might be thinking of Wahle and Hartwig.

If I recall correctly, Wahle wasn't terrible, he just wasn't all that great either.

Captain Mohawk on the other hand was bad enough that they went for a rookie Ryan Kalil over him even though Kalil admits that he was hopelessly lost  at the time.

Those were them. Thanks Scot!

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Projected by the mocks I've seen to go higher than where we pick...

He's an interior OL

According to positional value junkies, that means even if he's the best player in the draft that we should only invest at max, a 3rd that we don't have. 🙃

In all seriousness, the projected salary cap makes it difficult (along with all of the other needs) to justify spending significant cap space on the interior. There are some good quality guys coming off of their rookie contracts that are going to be looking for pay days (James Daniels, Billy Price, Will Hernandez) or we're looking at the usual retreads that admittedly don't look too shabby (Kyle Long, Trai Turner, Laken Tomlinson, AJ Cann, Dan Feeney, Mark Glowinski, Ethan Pocic).

Nate Solder, Terron Armstead, Cam Robinson, and a couple of other LT free agents will be out there though if we're okay with moving Cameron Erving to the 6th man role (which I think he'd do alright in tbh, though we'd need that RT/RG bruiser since Erving is more athletic than strong).

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Translation: Guys who are mediocre at everything but great at nothing.

Gimme five guys who can each play one position well and I won't give a sh-t whether they can play somewhere else.

Well he failed at his own method if that’s what versatility means.

The oline doesn’t even just stuck at everything, they’re putrid.

a 0.0 PFF rating? And you played most snaps? That’s the same rating as sir purr.

There have been about 3-5 pretty nice C and OG prospects in R2-4 the pqst few years. 

Overall, we could have easily had something like Sam Cosmi & Saahdiq Charles on this line.  You can convince me Horn will be legit but this whole trade-down-aramma netting Marshall, a TE and the rest was okay, buuut why when the needs were clearly outweighing the lean to BPA.

• Flames 1

So many times it's "don't take a center or guard with an early pick" and "tackles in the first round only". Really, we have so much need for the line, we just need to sprint to the podium with the name of the best lineman of any position when our pick comes in. The biggest, meanest, most agile, smartest one we can find.

Whichever position that one plays is an upgrade over any of the ones we have. 

Of course, evaluation is the key and that's what worries me. There's something systemically wrong with offensive linemen in Carolina. Maybe our scouts just aren't good with that position, maybe our strength trainers aren't good with the big guys, perhaps our team nutritionist got their linemen hints from The Replacements. Heck, for all I know the linemen's room has desk and chairs that don't fit the linemen's bigger frames making it hard for them to concentrate in film study. Who knows?

Edit to add: I know for sure that our coaching staff at this time has no idea of how to train, gameplan or assemble an offensive line. Injuries aside, their are more difficult turnstyle groupings at Carowinds!

Edited by Khyber53
  • Beer 1

20 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Daley...

Honestly looks more like he's doing a dance move than a kick slide...

Can anyone explain to me why Brady Christiansen is at left guard here?  Even prior to the draft Daley had question marks surrounding his agility, but his strength and power were highly rated.  BC was thought to be quick but perhaps not as functionally strong.  It just doesn't make any sense.

Daley looks like a guard playing tackle.  BC looks light on his feet.

• Beer 1