• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

• panthers-redskins-1.jpg

College quarterbacks today

Stuart Smith

19 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Homers will always say their side was right so what does that matter? Also, your comparison is incorrect. There is no  rule about running out of bounds just like there’s no rule for a play action fake or a RB throwing a pass. There is a rule stating that you cannot hit a QB who is sliding just like you can’t fake a fair catch. A fair catch signal is the only appropriate comparison so sorry, there is no hypocrisy.

Faking a slide, which has two rules associated with it (ball is placed at start of slide and you cannot hit a sliding QB) is an absolute bitch move and shouldn’t be allowed. To be honest, if I’m the ref, I spot the ball where he began his slide. There’s no rule about the slide being perfect like I think Joe Burrow showed where I seem to remember him falling over badly.

Won’t be shocked when there is a new rule in place that stops the plays as soon as the slide starts. There’s no football move that starts with a slide other than giving yourself up.

Theres no rule that you can't fake a slide at this point either.

39 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Theres no rule that you can't fake a slide at this point either.

Well, technically there might be. The ball is spotted at the start of the slide and they play is supposed to stop. It’s no different than a fair catch signal. The NFL/NCAAF rule book likely doesn’t cover every single possible scenario like round house kicking a RB in the throat as he goes by you, but sliding is covered.

I was at the Clemson and Wake Forest game and a punt return TD was called back on the reply you can see that the returner was kind of thinking about calling fair catch but then lowered his arm. His arm never even got past his chest/stomach but the refs called it back because he made even the slightest movement. I don’t see the fake slide as any different. Both have rules that you cannot hit/tackle the returner/QB and defenders have to stop.

You can act all lawyery but there’s no difference and the refs IMHO should stop the play at the first motion of the slide. It’s no different. Any rule that makes the defender stop should stop the play. Inadvertent whistles, fair catch motion or starting a slide are all similar. Fake spiking a ball or faking going out of bounds aren’t the same because a spike is basically an incomplete pass and if a guys not out of bounds, he’s not out of bounds.

18 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Well, technically there might be. The ball is spotted at the start of the slide and they play is supposed to stop. It’s no different than a fair catch signal. The NFL/NCAAF rule book likely doesn’t cover every single possible scenario like round house kicking a RB in the throat as he goes by you, but sliding is covered.

I was at the Clemson and Wake Forest game and a punt return TD was called back on the reply you can see that the returner was kind of thinking about calling fair catch but then lowered his arm. His arm never even got past his chest/stomach but the refs called it back because he made even the slightest movement. I don’t see the fake slide as any different. Both have rules that you cannot hit/tackle the returner/QB and defenders have to stop.

You can act all lawyery but there’s no difference and the refs IMHO should stop the play at the first motion of the slide. It’s no different. Any rule that makes the defender stop should stop the play. Inadvertent whistles, fair catch motion or starting a slide are all similar. Fake spiking a ball or faking going out of bounds aren’t the same because a spike is basically an incomplete pass and if a guys not out of bounds, he’s not out of bounds.

You're talking about "should" though.

Until there's an actual change, it doesn't matter.

15 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I'd take......

1. Kenny Pickett

2. Carson Strong

3. Matt Corrall

4. Sam Howell

5. Malik Willis

6. Resmond Ridder

I haven't seen the WKU kid, so maybe he factors in.

Pickett is a bottom half of the first, top of the 2nd guy, IMO. 

What a year we picked to not have QB figured out AND not have any Day 2 picks.

Edit: Most of my list is actually interchangeable based on what a team wants. Any of those guys could be shuffled around, IMO. Not a big gap between them.

How many years has Pickett been good compare to how many years he's played??

21 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

That didn't age well.

Also, FWIW, Sam Hartman's ceiling is probably a Day 3 pick. That was before his performance against Pitt.

No, it didn’t age well. As soon as I typed it Hartman threw an interception and it went downhill. I am not as impressed by Picket as some either, maybe it’s just me.

• Beer 1

9 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Howell has the tools to be great too. You are correct though, we need a QB first IMO. It’s how the Cards did it with Murray, Bengals with Burrow, and Chargers with Herbert. Ignoring the QB position again and building a solid team with a random vet throwing the ball will keep us out of range from getting a top one the following year unless we give up a lot of assets like the Niners did… You pretty much have to draft your signal caller in this league.

Yeah, Howell is in there too with Ridder & Willis.  Just less sold on them but any of them could end up being the best in class.  Most sold on Corral and Strong but could change.  Have held firm on liking Strong & Ridder throughout the season.  Ridder has shown improved accuracy which is huge but will need patience.  Strong is ready for the NFL.

Gotta capitalize if you can get a top drafted QB. Too many examples of supposed good classes being awful and vice versa. If you can take a top signal caller you do it at the expense of the need for OL.  OL needs to be coveted along with DL but when the iron is hot for a QB, you take the gamble or else we miss out on a Herbert, Mahomes, Jackson, Allen, etc.  All top young QBs post-pick 6. 

I'd like to hit at least once outside of an obvious #1 for Cam in our 25+ year existence (and signing a 28 year old unproven Delhomme).  I mean, at least find a capable starter Cutler/Derek Carr/Tannehill type level.  I see that in Strong as his floor. At the least a Beurline that can win.

7 hours ago, WOW!! said:

How many years has Pickett been good compare to how many years he's played??

Trubisky was a one year wonder, Burrow was a one year wonder, etc. Technically Cam was a one year wonder.

Pickett is the best the bunch to me. I still say he's probably a borderline 1st rounder. Just not a good class at all.

5 hours ago, Stuart Smith said:

No, it didn’t age well. As soon as I typed it Hartman threw an interception and it went downhill. I am not as impressed by Picket as some either, maybe it’s just me.

Hartman and Pickett are both very good college QB's. In fact, the ACC was loaded with very good college QB's. 

Unfortunately not many of them are looking like very good NFL prospects. Maybe the Miami kid might be eventually.

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Trubisky was a one year wonder, Burrow was a one year wonder, etc. Technically Cam was a one year wonder.

Pickett is the best the bunch to me. I still say he's probably a borderline 1st rounder. Just not a good class at all.

There is no way to know if it really is a good class until after they are drafted and playing on Sundays.  The past year was supposed to be a great class, but to this point, Jones is the only one that looks great.  That could change of course.  But I wouldn't write this coming season's class off just yet.  

Just now, Davidson Deac II said:

There is no way to know if it really is a good class until after they are drafted and playing on Sundays.  The past year was supposed to be a great class, but to this point, Jones is the only one that looks great.  That could change of course.  But I wouldn't write this coming season's class off just yet.  

Dude all of the top picks this year have shown amazing promise.  Not sure what you are watching