• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are you willing to give Rhule a third season?

Jmac

I didn't want him much after the first year, much less after this year.

But ask the players... see what they say. They loved Ron, but it was his time to go. Rhule, I don't think they hold in as high of regard. I don't think he can survive a vote of confidence, especially if you disregard Temple/Baylor players on the team.

The guy just wasn't ready for the NFL. He may be a few years from now, but he needs more time at the college level to get there. Duke, Virginia and his old team at Temple would be good landing spots.

No to the third season for Rhule.  College coaches rarely have success in NFL. This team is regressing and Rhule appears to be in way over his head.  Unless the purpose is bringing him back for another year to tank and get a top draft pick in 2023, then just end the inevitable now. (This off-season)

I'm fine either way. I've not experienced so many demoralizing, fandom-questioning losses as I've endured this year. So I certainly wouldn't shed a tear to see some of the vestiges of this period removed.

On the other hand, I'm not thrilled at the prospect of a regime change that will set us back again while a new coaching scheme is rolled out. Say what you will, but a coaching change is a setback that you hope pays dividends later. So I'd almost rather see what Rhule can do with the offensive pieces needed to succeed.

But I don't think he'll be around next year. Firing the OC is the first step in the regime change. And I have a hard time imagining it's the only move coming. I just think the decision was made not to can the whole staff, because it's bad optics to clean house while we're still - on paper anyway - in the playoff hunt.

• Beer 1

Rhule has been fighting an uphill battle here from the day he arrived.  He was set up to fail with covid wrecking his first offseason and a massive roster turnover, and Hurney. 

With all that he managed to put a respectable team on the field. I don't care who you are that was a tremendous accomplishment. 

Then comes season 2 where expectations were getting high as the draft and offseason played out.  Even as the qb carousel continued with another gamble behind center.  Then they started out winning and looking like things may just work out despite all the holes in the team and the gambling on roster positions. 

Then comes the realization that the inexperience on the team starts at the top. Those gambles that looked worth the risk caused a ripple effect when all fails at once with no realistic backup plan.

The choice to go with a young potential OC, not a young experienced OC mind you, but a guy that had not called a game at any level. Well...you now see why Rhule brought his old play caller along just in case. Probably should have thought that one though a little more.

So 3/4s of the way through his second season things have gone sideways because he chose to put his offense in the hands of a guy who had no experience at it. He's royally screwed up at qb and basically has no offense.

What happens from here on will determine his fate. The odds are not in his favor. 

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Beer 1