• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Rhule gets fired, who are your favorite coaching candidates for next year?

Verge

4 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Again, Byron played the QB position in the NFL. He is the OC under Arians 

he is instantly  credible to the players 

l would take him any day of the week and twice on Sunday 

I know the big thing right now is to hire the young guy who's only been around for a couple of years and hope he's the next Sean McVay.

That doesn't interest me at all. Hell, that's how we got Joe Brady.

• Pie 1

Can we stop with trying to find the next boy wonder?  The McVeys and Peytons of the NFL are EXTREMELY RARE.  There's a reason only one comes around every decade or so.  Think of how many prodigy whiffs occur before one actually succeeds.  I mean, we just fired the guy who was deemed the hottest young offensive mind in college football not less than 2-years ago.

Edited by 45catfan

Some under-the-radar names to mention:

Dave Toub (ST Coord, Chiefs)- The man has been around the league for a long time and really could be a good hire. I could definitely see him in a John Harbaugh type role since he has no real ties to offense or defense... Just bring in the right names for coordinators.

Raheem Morris (LA Rams, DC)- I know many will disagree with me on this one but Morris has come a long way from his days with the Bucs and actually had the Falcons fighting when they fired Quinn. If he could bring a offensive guy from the McVay staff, that would be a good fit tandem.

Mike McDaniel (OC, SF)- Has been under the direction of Kyle Shanahan and could bring that Shanahan spark on offense to our team. Quite young though.

I would want an offensive guy, period.  We have never had a HC that was an offensive guru.  It's always been from the defensive perspective. Even if we suck in year one, as long as those losses are shootouts, at least they will be entertaining.  These low scoring losses suck all the way around.

52 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

I want to see us head for Eric Bieniemy or Byron Leftwich as our first stops. While it does satisfy the Rooney Rule, more importantly you have two very good coordinators there, one defensive and one offensive.

You also have two former NFL players who are genuinely respected by their players and peers. They understand how to work with the players at this level, they know how to evaluate those players and they have a deep number of contacts at the professional level. That's a big plus over the current regime.

In addition, both have coached at the championship level. Both are incredibly familiar with the two leading teams in the league, how they are run, what their overall approach to team building is and both well trained in running the show on game day.

The knocks against the two can be pretty heavy. Byron is young for a head coach, but that's less of a problem anymore than it once was. Bieniemy is the right age, but he has some legal issues in his past that could rear an ugly head at some point. That may have been what has kept him from a HC gig so far in this day of hyper scrutiny and revenants coming back to get folks.

Still, I want to see us start there and I'd be very happy with either of these guys. Honestly, I'd love to see Leftwich here. I think his familiarity with the NFCSouth is a big help, particularly his knowledge of those pesky Buccaneers.

47 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

I would add Byron Leftwich.  He has p,aged the game and coached the game and had a chance to learn from Arians and others 

42 minutes ago, Verge said:

I would be cool with Leftwich.

27 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Again, Byron played the QB position in the NFL. He is the OC under Arians 

he is instantly  credible to the players 

l would take him any day of the week and twice on Sunday 

I'd like to see what Leftwich can do without the GOAT QB before he gets an HC gig. 2019 with Winston wasn't a good year for Bucs.  But that was with Winston, so who knows how good Leftwich can truly be.

• Pie 5

From Conor Orr's head coaching carousel article (linked elsewhere)...

Aside from the success of Kliff Kingsbury (which also comes with some qualifiers, given the load carried by assistants Vance Joseph and Jeff Rodgers) owners are watching as certain hires deemed “outside the box” or without enough seasoning are flaming out spectacularly or, at the least, can cause their organization to stick out like a shock of red hair in a sea of brown, black and blonde. They are not fond of this feeling, which is why the process has largely been devoted to risk-averse maneuvers for the longest time.

Also, while coaches like Andy Reid, Bill Belichick and John Harbaugh were outside-the-box hires at the time, the fact that they, along with other tenured coaches like Bruce Arians and Mike McCarthy, are sitting in first place as owners begin the process doesn’t bode well for the idea that they should pluck someone from (relative) obscurity.

The most recent series of experiments involving college coaches has not gone well. We’ll get to potential openings in a few paragraphs, but it seems like there have been notable personality conflicts between owners of teams with recent college head coaches and their former all-powerful university leaders.

In addition, outside of a few names that we’ll list below, the hot-rising-I-know-Sean-McVay-and-coach-quarterbacks market has pretty much dried up. We went from a glut of up-and-coming offensive minds to a bit of a dearth.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

Who would like to give Del Rio a shot?  He wasn't horrible with Jacksonville and that was his first rodeo.  Most HCs do better in their second gig.  He has a connection here.  While I would like an offensive-minded HC, not to many of them floating around besides Pederson.  I do NOT want a first time HC.  Let me just squash the name Jason Garrett before anyone mentions it.

20 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Who would like to give Del Rio a shot?  He wasn't horrible with Jacksonville and that was his first rodeo.  Most HCs do better in their second gig.  He has a connection here.  While I would like an offensive-minded HC, not to many of them floating around besides Pederson.  I do NOT want a first time HC.  Let me just squash the name Jason Garrett before anyone mentions it.

Garrett could very easily be an OC option if Matt Eberflus gets the head coaching job.

They were colleagues back in Dallas.