• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Article: With their firing of Joe Brady, the Panthers find a new place to dump bad news

WarPanthers89

It’s unclear whether it was planned or inadvertent. Regardless, the Carolina Panthers have found a brand new place to dump bad news.

Forget about the late-afternoon hours on a Friday. With the NFL constantly offering up a fresh collection of bright, shiny objects during football season, why not pull the sheet off a piece of bad news while everyone is paying attention to those objects that are shining brightly?

The Panthers waited until 20 minutes after the start of the early games in Week 13 to announce the firing of offensive coordinator Joe Brady. It caused the move to not get the attention and scrutiny it otherwise would have received if it had happened, for example, last Monday morning, with 13 days until the next game.

That’s the most confusing aspect of the move. It happened halfway into the team’s annual two-week playing break. Unless the decision was made and not announced early last week, if gives Jeff Nixon less time to prepare to take over the offense than he would have had.

Regardless, it’s a sign of dysfunction in Charlotte, and it invites speculation as to what will come next. Some think that coach Matt Rhule already is on borrowed time. Maybe Rhule needs to string together some wins to keep that from happening.

And while the buyout would be significant, owner David Tepper doesn’t seem to be someone who prolongs a situation once he knows it has gone south. From dumping Teddy Bridgewater after his first year to essentially dumping Sam Darnold during his first year, Tepper falls in and out of love quickly — and he doesn’t wait to file for divorce. If Tepper has concluded that Rhule isn’t who Tepper thought he’d be and if Tepper thinks he can get an upgrade, he’ll do it. Whatever it costs, whatever it takes. He’ll do it.

He has said that the NFL is set up for every team to go .500, and that bending mediocrity in a given franchise’s advantage hinges on having a great coach, G.M., and quarterback. If Tepper has already concluded that Rhule belongs in the “not great” category, it’s just a matter of time before he’s in the “not employed” category, too.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/12/06/with-their-firing-of-joe-brady-the-panthers-find-a-new-place-to-dump-bad-news/

D054A88A-FFE4-4017-BF7C-F1C947C1164F.jpeg

Edited by WarPanthers89
  • Pie 5

Yea, I absolutely do not understand the timing.  That was super weird.  Brady has been under heat since very early in the season.  I suspect Rhule is under a lot of pressure.  I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this move was forced on him and that his only recourse was to can Brady or lose his job as well.

At least we know the last five games will mean something.  Either we compete and win a couple or we lose out and probably end up with a new HC.

I suspect it's up to the players.  Either they believe in Rhule and fight for him or they give up, letting it be known that he isn't getting his message across.

24 minutes ago, Smithers said:

I still think Rhule was a candidate for the OU job and waited until he was told he was no longer a candidate.  He then made the move he knew he had to make in an attempt to right the ship here.  

You are probably right as Rhule strikes me as a sketchy, little, two faced weasel and nor a competent one 

Bellinchek might be all those things as well but he has six rings  and might be pointed to a 7th 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

26 minutes ago, Smithers said:

I still think Rhule was a candidate for the OU job and waited until he was told he was no longer a candidate.  He then made the move he knew he had to make in an attempt to right the ship here.  

It is highly possible, but something tells me Tepper (or Tepper's money$$$) played a part in that decision.

I was listening to Gill Alexander and Chrissy Andrews on VSiN earlier. They didn’t think very highly of the way this was handled. Their issues were A) why not do it a week ago to let the new OC/players prepare and game plan and B) why wait until a lot of big college jobs are filled before you fired him. They suggested that it was a mean spirited firing for the way the Panthers handled this. Not that Gil and Chrissy are NFL insiders, but that is the perception from national media members. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Sir Big Spurr said:

I was listening to Gill Alexander and Chrissy Andrews on VSiN earlier. They didn’t think very highly of the way this was handled. Their issues were A) why not do it a week ago to let the new OC/players prepare and game plan and B) why wait until a lot of big college jobs are filled before you fired him. They suggested that it was a mean spirited firing for the way the Panthers handled this. Not that Gil and Chrissy are NFL insiders, but that is the perception from national media members. 

I just think it is was standard Matt Rhule incompetence.  Same guy that bragged about letting coaches from other teams 100% dictate joint practices......he fires his OC half way through the bye week instead of at the beginning. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

I have a feeling it was done earlier in the week and just happened to be announced yesterday. They said on the Quick Blitz podcast last Monday that something was going down because Steven Drummond was on the call during Rhules press conference and he's never on the call unless changes are happening.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2