• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Brady was set up to fail.

hepcat

9 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

I don't buy that they would just pull the rug out from under their new OC. Joe was a hot commodity when he was brought here. If coaching Cam was at all important to him he could have made it a priority as early as his hiring negotiations. 

that’s not pulling the rug on Brady.  He was offered a NFL OC job.  Brady would do anything Rhule said.  He isn’t going to bark crazy demands at Rhule for the job he frankly wasn’t qualified for.  32 of these in the world.  

being an NFL OC was important to him.  He didn’t come here to coach Cam. 

I still think all signs point to Cam being a problem for Matt Rhule being able to come in here pretend to be a coach.  He doesn’t know what he is doing.  Cam would have been a problem.  Especially pre screwed/humbled Cam. 

• Beer 1

23 minutes ago, CRA said:

the Sam argeument always ignored that NY didn't make Sam into the QB that played in NY.  He was the same guy at USC.   That was who they drafted.  They got exactly that.  And he has been conistently that the entire time he has played QB.  College and pros. 

Joe Brady hasn't been consistently anything.  Great year at LSU bringing his pass concepts to LSU.  Pretty good debut as OC given it was his first time.  Really bad year 2. 

That doesn't really explain your logic that Darnold was expected to succeed in spite of a bad o-line and a green OC whereas Brady gets a pass due to similar circumstances.  I mean I recall you posting some chart about how some of the top passing attacks actually have o-lines that rate very poorly in pass-blocking to suggest that a bad o-line is no excuse for Darnold not to perform and that passing games can often succeed with poor pass-blocking.  But now you're using a poor o-line as an excuse for Brady? My point is that all of these things are codependent so I don't get the inconsistent application of certain elements of our offense.  Darnold was obviously a hinderance to Brady's success, but I think it has become increasingly clear by this point that Brady was similarly a hinderance to Darnold's success.

8 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

That doesn't really explain your logic that Darnold was expected to succeed in spite of a bad o-line and a green OC whereas Brady gets a pass due to similar circumstances.  I mean I recall you posting some chart about how some of the top passing attacks actually have o-lines that rate very poorly in pass-blocking to suggest that a bad o-line is no excuse for Darnold not to perform and that passing games can often succeed with poor pass-blocking.  But now you're using a poor o-line as an excuse for Brady? My point is that all of these things are codependent so I don't get the inconsistent application of certain elements of our offense.  Darnold was obviously a hinderance to Brady's success, but I think it has become increasingly clear by this point that Brady was similarly a hinderance to Darnold's success.

Not my logic.  I didn’t believe Sam would succeed.  

Not just a poor OL excuses for Brady.  Poor OL paired with a poor QB…..you give that to an inexperienced passing game OC and the results are predictable.  And it played out that way. 

* and yes a great QB can still have success with weak OL play.   See Cam.  See Watson.  See parts of Brady’s career.  See a ton of players.  But you need an actual good QB to pull offense off with a bad OL. 

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I don’t disagree. I think he’ll OC for some college and do well, be more picky the next time he jumps to the pros and do better. With Teddy, Sam and our oline, it would be hard on any coordinator. I for one thought the best group of skill positions we’ve ever had would be enough, but they weren’t enough to drag Teddy’s ass to any kind of production and after failing again gave up before halfway through this season. 

Rumour has it he's going to be the OC for the Miami Hurricanes.

There's something there with Brady, but an NFL OC gig was too much, too soon. He was too green - the NFL quickly figured out his tendencies and ate him up. 

At the end of the day it was Rhule's mistake for trying to go with the hot hire - he needs an experienced OC, like he's got an experienced DC. 

34 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Rumour has it he's going to be the OC for the Miami Hurricanes.

There's something there with Brady, but an NFL OC gig was too much, too soon. He was too green - the NFL quickly figured out his tendencies and ate him up. 

At the end of the day it was Rhule's mistake for trying to go with the hot hire - he needs an experienced OC, like he's got an experienced DC. 

How you feel about that? 

if Clemson had a legit passing QB I’d be down for that.   But we gonna have to get creative on the ground for a minute. 

3 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

That's also pretty much the story of our entire coaching staff. They weren't ready to be here. Their greatest problem was overconfidence -- they greatly underestimated the challenges they faced.

you don’t know that. maybe they are very aware that they need a few years to learn the NFL game, but it’s the fans that greatly overestimated their expectations.

• Pie 1

There are plenty of other teams with worse offensive talent and have done more. Brady was in way over his head. Just accept it. In a few years he may be better but this was way too soon. Who knows in 10 years he could be another Pete Carroll, older posters on here remember how that went his first go in the NFL. 

Edited by TheoJay10
  • Pie 3