• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Brady was set up to fail.

hepcat

Now that Joe Brady has been fired from the Panthers, I can't help but reflect on what a bad hire it was. And I don't think it was his fault.

I don't believe the Panthers offense failed under Joe Brady because he is a bad coach. It failed because he was put into a situation he clearly wasn't ready for, and maybe one he wasn't ever set up to succeed in. I think he was set up for failure from the start.

From the get-go, the offensive staff was made up of Matt Rhule's assistants or guys hired 3rd party from other teams. There wasn't a single coach on the staff that Brady had worked with before coming to the Panthers.

Pair that with the fact Joe Brady had never called plays before coming to the Panthers. He had 2 years of NFL experience as an assistant on the Saints before becoming an NFL offensive coordinator. 

Also, the players he was given. I know a coach is supposed to make the best out of the players he is given, that is the definition of the job of a coach. But Teddy Bridgewater and Sam Darnold aren't the types of QBs that can save a wildly inexperienced offensive coordinator with their play. Those are QB's that need the offensive coordinator to save THEM with play calls that play to their strengths. Maybe Joe Brady could have been successful as a rookie OC working with Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. Maybe Matt Stafford would have saved him if he wanted to come to the Panthers (he didn't for obvious reasons).

Joe Brady was a splash hire of a hot named coach ready to take the next step, but in the end, his failure falls on the people who hired him: Matt Rhule, Marty Hurney, and David Tepper.

I don't blame Joe Brady for the mess this team is in. He shouldn't have been here in the first place.

• Pie 3

I don’t disagree. I think he’ll OC for some college and do well, be more picky the next time he jumps to the pros and do better. With Teddy, Sam and our oline, it would be hard on any coordinator. I for one thought the best group of skill positions we’ve ever had would be enough, but they weren’t enough to drag Teddy’s ass to any kind of production and after failing again gave up before halfway through this season. 

• Beer 1

I'm not sure if Brady is any good.

But I 100% agree that by design he was setup to fail.  No doubt.  He is a Rhule scapegoat for the offense too.  

If you hire a green OC that has exclusively been a passing game guy....and give him horrible QBs and OLs.....well, the results are going to be bad.   

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

3 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

fans: FIRE JOE BRADY

also fans: IT WASN’T BRADY’S FAULT

It's the whole two things can be true aspect. 

Joe Brady and his offense suck. 

and everything Rhule did was going to suck by design.  Joe Brady is the face of what Rhule put together. 

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Now that Joe Brady has been fired from the Panthers, I can't help but reflect on what a bad hire it was. And I don't think it was his fault.

I don't believe the Panthers offense failed under Joe Brady because he is a bad coach. It failed because he was put into a situation he clearly wasn't ready for, and maybe one he wasn't ever set up to succeed in. I think he was set up for failure from the start.

From the get-go, the offensive staff was made up of Matt Rhule's assistants or guys hired 3rd party from other teams. There wasn't a single coach on the staff that Brady had worked with before coming to the Panthers.

Pair that with the fact Joe Brady had never called plays before coming to the Panthers. He had 2 years of NFL experience as an assistant on the Saints before becoming an NFL offensive coordinator. 

Also, the players he was given. I know a coach is supposed to make the best out of the players he is given, that is the definition of the job of a coach. But Teddy Bridgewater and Sam Darnold aren't the types of QBs that can save a wildly inexperienced offensive coordinator with their play. Those are QB's that need the offensive coordinator to save THEM with play calls that play to their strengths. Maybe Joe Brady could have been successful as a rookie OC working with Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. Maybe Matt Stafford would have saved him if he wanted to come to the Panthers (he didn't for obvious reasons).

Joe Brady was a splash hire of a hot named coach ready to take the next step, but in the end, his failure falls on the people who hired him: Matt Rhule, Marty Hurney, and David Tepper.

I don't blame Joe Brady for the mess this team is in. He shouldn't have been here in the first place.

If you screw up at work, is it because your boss hired you?

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Both can be true at the same time. Hindsight is 20/20. Or 50/50 as Cam says lol

I agree with this.

Brady needed to go, he clearly wasn't the right guy.  That also doesn't invalidate the possibility that he was set up to fail.  A real conspiracy theorist might go "Brady was set up to fail so Rhule could claim that he should have appointed his own guy instead of looking for the best".  Effectively, it could have been Rhule saying "I know best".

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

If you screw up at work, is it because your boss hired you?

Faulty logic.  Just because you were hired does not mean you are given the tools to succeed.  You would think that it should follow, but I assure you that it does not.

• Pie 2

11 minutes ago, CRA said:

It's the whole two things can be true aspect. 

Joe Brady and his offense suck. 

and everything Rhule did was going to suck by design.  Joe Brady is the face of what Rhule put together. 

14 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Both can be true at the same time. Hindsight is 20/20. Or 50/50 as Cam says lol

I agree completely, fwiw. I just felt like highlighting that.