• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Brady was set up to fail.

hepcat

1 hour ago, hepcat said:

Now that Joe Brady has been fired from the Panthers, I can't help but reflect on what a bad hire it was. And I don't think it was his fault.

I don't believe the Panthers offense failed under Joe Brady because he is a bad coach. It failed because he was put into a situation he clearly wasn't ready for, and maybe one he wasn't ever set up to succeed in. I think he was set up for failure from the start.

From the get-go, the offensive staff was made up of Matt Rhule's assistants or guys hired 3rd party from other teams. There wasn't a single coach on the staff that Brady had worked with before coming to the Panthers.

Pair that with the fact Joe Brady had never called plays before coming to the Panthers. He had 2 years of NFL experience as an assistant on the Saints before becoming an NFL offensive coordinator. 

Also, the players he was given. I know a coach is supposed to make the best out of the players he is given, that is the definition of the job of a coach. But Teddy Bridgewater and Sam Darnold aren't the types of QBs that can save a wildly inexperienced offensive coordinator with their play. Those are QB's that need the offensive coordinator to save THEM with play calls that play to their strengths. Maybe Joe Brady could have been successful as a rookie OC working with Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. Maybe Matt Stafford would have saved him if he wanted to come to the Panthers (he didn't for obvious reasons).

Joe Brady was a splash hire of a hot named coach ready to take the next step, but in the end, his failure falls on the people who hired him: Matt Rhule, Marty Hurney, and David Tepper.

I don't blame Joe Brady for the mess this team is in. He shouldn't have been here in the first place.

That's also pretty much the story of our entire coaching staff. They weren't ready to be here. Their greatest problem was overconfidence -- they greatly underestimated the challenges they faced.

26 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

Please. Arguably the best offensive group this team has ever put together. Brady agreed, that's why he thought a JAG at quarterback would make us contenders. A guy he got to hand pick, mind you.

We hung with everyone we played in year 1 minus the Super Bowl champions. 

Phil Snow and Matt Rhule picked Sam.  Not Joe Brady. 

1 hour ago, CRA said:

I'm not sure if Brady is any good.

But I 100% agree that by design he was setup to fail.  No doubt.  He is a Rhule scapegoat for the offense too.  

If you hire a green OC that has exclusively been a passing game guy....and give him horrible QBs and OLs.....well, the results are going to be bad.   

The irony is that you're making the same argument that people were making in the offseason for why they're hopeful about Darnold maybe being able to show something with us.  Set up to fail...young QB given horrible OL, receivers, coaching...etc.

From everything I've seen from Brady, I suspect you take him now and plug him into a new system and he would fail as hard as Darnold has with his new team. For some reason you're awfully charitable to Brady.  You fail to recognize that he is absolutely a big part of the problem. Offenses are synergistic: the same way Brady expectedly failed because he had to deal with horrible QBs and OLs....our QBs and OL expectedly failed because they had to deal with a green OC who was in over his head and never learned to adapt to anything.

• Pie 3

I'd say it was less that he was set up to fail and more that he was stepping into a high-risk unknown situation and ended up being unable to overcome the challenges. Can't blame him for betting on himself but set up to fail implies the situation was intentionally constructed for no chance at success, and I don't see that being the case.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, grimesgoat said:

If you screw up at work, is it because your boss hired you?

If you're a low level supervisor and somebody hires you to be a CEO, yeah it's probably their fault.

1 hour ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

KEEP CALM THE PETER PRINCIPLE IS IN EFFECT Poster | Kim | Keep Calm-o-Matic

Jerry Richardson frequently operated on the principal that if you were smart at one thing, you could be smart at something else. Like say, if you're a good PR guy, you'd probably make a great GM too.

Richardson was the king of overpromotion. It's a big reason why the business office was an unholy mess when Tepper took over.

Sad to say though that while Tepper might not suffer from that particular delusion, he's not terribly far off of it. 

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

11 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

The irony is that you're making the same argument that people were making in the offseason for why they're hopeful about Darnold maybe being able to show something with us.  Set up to fail...young QB given horrible OL, receivers, coaching...etc.

From everything I've seen from Brady, I suspect you take him now and plug him into a new system and he would fail as hard as Darnold has with his new team. For some reason you're awfully charitable to Brady.  You fail to recognize that he is absolutely a big part of the problem. Offenses are synergistic: the same way Brady expectedly failed because he had to deal with horrible QBs and OLs....our QBs and OL expectedly failed because they had to deal with a green OC who was in over his head and never learned to adapt to anything.

the Sam argeument always ignored that NY didn't make Sam into the QB that played in NY.  He was the same guy at USC.   That was who they drafted.  They got exactly that.  And he has been conistently that the entire time he has played QB.  College and pros. 

Joe Brady hasn't been consistently anything.  Great year at LSU bringing his pass concepts to LSU.  Pretty good debut as OC given it was his first time.  Really bad year 2. 

20 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

No, worse: Brady picked Teddy over Cam.

We don't know that. 

IMO everything showed Matt Rhule simply wanted to move on from Cam.  Several reasons.  Think health was part of the reason.  But not the primary one.   Think Cam simply commanded too much attention for a young staff like Rhule's to come in and compete with.  Cam just too big of a figure.   Which despite being a Cam dude....I can kinda get it.  It's kinda like how it was never going to be Cam's team until 89 was shown the door.  Rhule wasn't going to come in here and make it whatever he wanted with #1 here. 

Once that decision was made.....then Teddy became the option.