• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are Analytics predictable now....

jackson113

2 hours ago, Varking said:

I thought this was unprovable when it used to come up around here. It was people guessing Tepper wanted him gone?

It’s not provable. Just Huddle lore.

It might be true since Tepper is an analytics fan, but then again Tepper seems to believe in coaching continuity (see past comments and Rhule contract).

6 hours ago, CRA said:

That's a fair point.  If you got a team that goes by the book heavy on what the analytics say you should do and you scout that.....well they do get predictable in situations. 

Using the old book is predictable just the same. It's why it's called going by the book. If you know which book it's similarly predictable 

Edited by Moo Daeng

3 hours ago, Varking said:

I thought this was unprovable when it used to come up around here. It was people guessing Tepper wanted him gone?

Sounds like just a heated overreaction after a playoff loss? Tepper seems impatient so who knows how he views it now

Minority owners of the Pittsburgh Steelers have been pressing primary owner Art Rooney to fire head coach Mike Tomlin in the wake of a 45-42 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars in the AFC divisional round game, Pro Football Talk reported on Tuesday.

The group of owners is upset about the final 47 seconds of the game after the Jaguars kicked a field goal to take a 10-point lead.

The Steelers had possession in the red zone but allowed the clock to run down before quarterback Ben Roethlisberger wound up throwing a meaningless touchdown pass in the final seconds.

The report listed Rob Citrone, Paul Evanson, Larry Paul, Stephen Paul, Bruce Rauner, Paul Sams, John Stallworth, Benjamin Statler, Scott Swank, David Tepper, Thomas Tull, Peter Varischetti and Mike Wilkins as the minority owners involved.

3 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Analytics is what you get when you hire a consultant and give up on good management. Same in business as in football. It costs a lot of money, loses you good people and always produces unsatisfactory results.

I disagree.

I absolutely to agree that analytics can lead you there.  However, when analytics is used by good management as a tool, it can be incredibly helpful.

When talking football, what can analytics really tell you?  "The Panthers pass 68% of the time on 3rd and less than 4".  I mean, ok, that could be a real analytical measure.  However, unless you follow that up with a close examination of those situations you could draw entirely the wrong conclusions.  Did the defense stack five+ linemen in the box?  Did the QB audible out of a run?

The key when working with analytics is understanding exactly what they telling you and then deciding if what they are telling you is something you should act upon, watch closely or ignore.

• Pie 1

I understand the idea of analytics but basing the entire game off if it is stupid.  As an old Johnny Unitas fan his philosophy was just the opposite of today's analytics.  He (in his biography) would do the opposite of what defenses thought you were going to do.

Kicking a field goal or down by 2 in the forth quarter but going for 2 when you are down by one just didn't make sense to me.

I did hear the Harbaugh said the he was out of corners but he had a 50-50 chance of winning the overtime kick off. 

Football doesn't need to be a computer game it needs to be heart and soul and some ingenuity. 

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

I disagree.

I absolutely to agree that analytics can lead you there.  However, when analytics is used by good management as a tool, it can be incredibly helpful.

When talking football, what can analytics really tell you?  "The Panthers pass 68% of the time on 3rd and less than 4".  I mean, ok, that could be a real analytical measure.  However, unless you follow that up with a close examination of those situations you could draw entirely the wrong conclusions.  Did the defense stack five+ linemen in the box?  Did the QB audible out of a run?

The key when working with analytics is understanding exactly what they telling you and then deciding if what they are telling you is something you should act upon, watch closely or ignore.

True, but most of the time when presented with analytics, the user doesn't interpret them in that way. It comes from a society that wants answers now because they feel they must act now -- there's little to no time for introspection. 

In our team's case, I have no doubt they have a massive amount of data on hand. They don't, apparently, do much of a deep dive or apply it with wisdom to better tailor the game plan to their players and their opponents. They take the pat answers, the tl;dr version of the info. And in the microcosm of life that football is, they've shown what that can do.

• Pie 1

35 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

That's actually solid life advice.

Wasn't expecting life philosophy from the huddle.

LOL. It’s true though. Most people want a sure thing when sure things rarely exist. 

Bringing this back to football, I think Tepper is still learning how to take appropriate risks. Rhule is teaching him what not to hire next time.

I’m all for batting for the fences even if we strike out more than we hit a home run (those home runs will be worth it), but you have to know what to swing at.

IMO…if you want to find and dev an elite QB, you need a HC with lots of NFL O experience. A guy who has seen it all and has the tools to dev that QB.Not a college guy trying to figure out the job. Asking a guy to dev a nfl QB when the coach doesn’t know the nfl either is dumb. 

• Pie 1