• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Deviation from the Original Plan.. Is the Reason for this Mess..

WOW!!

3 hours ago, HammerinCameron said:

There's 5 games left and were in the thick of the playoff race, and are undefeated in our division and that will continue Sunday. Stop with the doom and gloom bullshit.

Cam had a rating of 125 for Carolina a couple weeks ago, in a Panthers uni - were going to get hot and Cam will save Rhule like he did Rivera.

We're making the playoffs.

I think Cam is gonna show out on Sunday 

42 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

So what do you do?? No Teddy no Sam??

I'd rather had Teddy all our assets and a rookie QB waiting then the BS we got now...

We're back to square 1 again.. Praying Cam can carry bad coaching..

Fitzpatrick, Tyrod, Dalton, Trubisky, and Jameis were all signed to 1 year deals this offseason. None of those guys are any kind of long term plan and likely wouldn't do much better, if at all, but at least someone like Trubisky has actually won some games (if they were bent on a reclamation). Any of those guys though do replace Teddy, prevent the Darnold situation, and still send the signal that wilting/failing like that 2020 offense did in crunch time isn't acceptable.

Again though, this whole thing should have been precluded in the first place by not dumping Cam as they did.

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Honestly, the rebuild talk was just to temper expectations and buy time. Everything we SAID indicated rebuild. Everything we DID indicated these guys thought they could produce a quick turnaround and compete. Now here we are with a cap situation that was setup to be really good looking mediocre at best with a draft class heavily hampered by trading away picks for players that clearly aren't doing much to help us right now.

Honestly, I think Rhule is just a snake oil salesman.

My wife says the same thing…she says “He’s all talk honey!  I hate to break your heart but he isn’t going to win in Carolina!”  My wife is right well 99.9% of the time.  My .1% hope has faded away now!!

4 hours ago, CRA said:

We rented Gilmore and desperately brought Cam back in a couple weeks ago.  That is a team thinking they are a playoff team.  Not a rebuild. 

Gilmore was actually a brilliant move.  We gave up a sixth round pick for a high level experienced veteran to come in and set an example for a very young DB room.  To top it off, even if we make no effort to resign him, we'll get a BETTER PICK as a compensatory when we lose him.  There is no downside to that trade.  None.

• Pie 3

I would agree with this. 

In retrospect you after moving on from Cam they should have stuck with Teddy. The problem wasn't all him and we were more completive with him even with a crappy defense.  He had his limitations and criticism of his contract is fair. But going forward he would have been a fine stop gap for a drafted QB. Brady was as limited or more than Teddy. 

• Pie 1

13 hours ago, CRA said:

I agree and disagree.  I think Teddy being a vet of the system Carolina was running was hurting egos of a young staff.  I think it is a safe bet that Rhule wasn't running a legit NFL team.  Not how it works across the league.   I think Teddy was viewed as a problem because he was aware that what Rhule/Brady/ etc were doing wasn't how you get it done.   That starts talk. 

So Teddy and Rhule became an impossible marriage.  And Rhule got desperate after that and started making really bad moves.  Offered too much for Stafford given what we were.  We were suppose to be building from the ground up.  Rejected.  As that isn't what Stafford was leaving Detriot for.  Then he wasn't guranteed a QB in the draft.  Watson got in trouble.  Then there was basically only Sam Darnold left as a guy to bring in.  And their desperation caused them to be really dumb.   Signed him.  Then a QB fell.  But taking a QB highlights how desperate and dumb the Darnold move was, on top of how Teddy just went, they just tied up tons of money in two bad QBs and gave away tons draft picks.  So they picked up the 5th to show fake confidence in a poorly handled offseason in regards to the QB spot.  Not wanting to draw even more attention to the QB debacle by drafting a QB after wasting all those draft resources and so much of the cap allocated to scrub QBs they just signed. 

Nailed it. The much vaunted plan was chucked out the window early. Then things started getting desperate and we looked and acted like one of the bottom-feeding teams of the league. Now, we're performing on the field like one of those teams. 

The team has realized this isn't a pro team anymore. Heck, Detroit could beat us on a neutral field eight times out of ten now, simply because their guys are fighting for their coach rather than making vacation plans for January.

15 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You don't shoot your cap situation to hell and trade away half your upcoming draft to rebuild.

When you need a QB and four starting OL, you're not all that close... especially when your cap situation isn't fantastic and you have minimal draft capital to work with.

Could be worse.  Many advocated for trading our first and next year's 1st and 2nd to move up and pick Fields.  Imagine sitting here with Fields as our QB1, no Horn, no 1-3 round picks next year (assuming we still traded for Henderson), and the same shitty line.

16 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's really hard to rebuild when you're trading future picks for players. You rebuild by accumulating draft capital, not trading it away.

Perhaps. It fully depends upon who and what you're trading for. A young, ostensibly talented player like Henderson, I don't mind. A young Darnold who has a bad track record, I mind (especially when it's obviously an overpay).

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

Yep and just because we didn’t bring in someone huge as a FA doesn’t mean we didn’t spend a lot. We spent about $120M in cap on Teddy, Sam, Okung, Short, Erving, Elflein, Weatherly, Apple and Roberts. Don’t forget throwing $30M at Robby for two more years. Just because we got complete and utter poo for that in 2020 and 2021 doesn’t mean we didn’t spend a ton. We did otherwise we’d be rolling over a ton of cap into 2022.

Nice reminder on Robby.  Robby is currently making more than Devante Adams, Diggs, etc this season.  Slated to be the 16th highest paid in the NFL next season too. 

another example of why Matt Rhule has botched the rebuild effort yet some what to give him MORE time. 

20 hours ago, WOW!! said:

Plain and simple.. If your going to rebuild stick to it.. Don't let small success fool you from your original assertion of a situation..

You sign Teddy to a 3 year deal.. He plays you into position for a QB.. Don't let close losses the season before stop you from drafting the future and keeping Teddy as the bridge Qb.. We were in position to succeed in a 3 year rebuild with a strong team young QB sitting and learning and all our assets to improve weak position (Oline, MLB, Safety).. For some reason they thought they were 1 player away and it's going to cost us year of bad mediocre football..

blame tepper, it's on him including the additions this year that aren't being used properly.

• Beer 1